cache dots continue to vanish from map

Rustynails

It would also be nice if, when you uncheck your finds to get the smilies off the map, that they would stay off when you scroll out.  It would help to find cache dense areas where I haven't been yet.  As it is, all dots show up when you back out.

Using Firefox, the icon on the cache page doesn't print (ie: Trad, Multi, etc.)

Using Edge, I can't stay signed in and must sign in every time but, the icons print.

• Upvote 1

The tiles for the zoomed out views include too many caches for the site to recreate them fresh every time a user views that area zoomed out. Instead, a single shared set of the map tiles is created.

What this means is that as you zoom in, the view switches from the shared common view to your own personalized view. Caches that you've already found will disappear, or become smiley faces to show that you've found them. Puzzle caches and multi-caches that you've changed the coordinates to will move from their published coordinates to your edited coordinates. That sort of thing.

This is expected.

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 3:17 PM, The A-Team said:

Show us two screenshots: one at a zoom level where the caches are visible, and another where they aren't.

...or just give us a link to an area where we can observe this.

Once again, There's nothing to see if there gone.  Google maps setting.

9 hours ago, rustynails. said:

Once again, There's nothing to see if there gone.  Google maps setting.

They aren't there on any zoom level? I got the sense from your post that they were there at some zoom levels but weren't at others, but maybe I misinterpreted. If they aren't there at any zoom level, can you give us a GC code of a cache that doesn't show?

I sometimes see it happen when switching from map view to satellite view, but zooming in or out will bring the dots back. It looks like it could be a race condition, with perhaps the dots being drawn underneath the map instead of on top if things don't happen in the right order. Here's an example of it happening:

Map.jpg.22a076873bb476a175c83e9136cbe2b8.jpg

Satellite.jpg.048079ba1d3112eb3f9f977984eefa75.jpg

• Upvote 1
On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 6:51 PM, barefootjeff said:

I sometimes see it happen when switching from map view to satellite view, but zooming in or out will bring the dots back. It looks like it could be a race condition, with perhaps the dots being drawn underneath the map instead of on top if things don't happen in the right order. Here's an example of it happening:

Map.jpg.22a076873bb476a175c83e9136cbe2b8.jpg

Satellite.jpg.048079ba1d3112eb3f9f977984eefa75.jpg

No, not going between satellite and map.  Zooming in and out of google maps.

After 9/11 down for maintenance period it continues to happen. If would be nice if Groundspeak fixes what's broken before pissing around with new things.

Edited by rustynails.