Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
just for the fun

Search problems

Recommended Posts

The last few days I have been having problems with the Search Criteria. When I enter a specific location ( lets say "Grand Rapids Mi." the search will come up with what looks like a list of new waymarks. Scattered all across the globe.

Is this a wide spread problem or one specific to my computer?

Edited by just for the fun
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Searching by place names is a mess. This is not Groundspeak's fault, our ancestors were usually not too creative and there are simply too many places with the same or a similar name all across the globe.

 

One thing that has always worked, and this is essential for me personally, is the coordinate search. When you enter the numeric coordinates instead of a place name, the results will be accurate.

 

Share this post


Link to post
48 minutes ago, fi67 said:

Searching by place names is a mess. This is not Groundspeak's fault, our ancestors were usually not too creative and there are simply too many places with the same or a similar name all across the globe.

 

One thing that has always worked, and this is essential for me personally, is the coordinate search. When you enter the numeric coordinates instead of a place name, the results will be accurate.

 

postal codes usually get me to the right area.

 

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, vulture1957 said:

postal codes usually get me to the right area.

 

Maybe in the United States, good for you. This might be a solution for the original request.

Here in continental Europe, ZIP codes are much worse than place names.

Share this post


Link to post

The "Search from here" button below the map works quite well. Depending on the situation it is sometimes easier than to enter coordinates.

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

The "Search from here" button below the map works quite well. Depending on the situation it is sometimes easier than to enter coordinates.

I agree that that works, or has worked every time I've tried it, which is seldom. When searching from a map I prefer Google Maps as it's easier in every way.

 

Until a few months ago coordinates worked flawlessly for me but have been hit and miss since then. A day or two ago I had to resort to using place names, which worked for awhile then also ceased to function. Right now, the only reliable way I have to search is to enter coordinates in the manner that Waymarking itself formats them:

 

[lat:XXX,lon:XXX] (Enter your coords in decimal degree format in place of the XXXs.) Now that I've said that, this method will probably fail, too. Cynical? Darn right!

Keith

 

Edited by BK-Hunters

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, BK-Hunters said:

I agree that that works, or has worked every time I've tried it, which is seldom. When searching from a map I prefer Google Maps as it's easier in every way.

 

Keith

 

 

how do you search Google Maps for Waymark locations????

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

 

how do you search Google Maps for Waymark locations????

 

I guess I should have expanded further on my explanation. When searching for Waymarks, I go to the area in Google Maps, copy the coords, then plug them into the [lat:XXX,lon:XXX] template and insert that into the Waymarking search page.

Keith

EDIT: Speaking of maps - years ago I had found an earth map that had some cool features and have since lost its URL. Anybody have a map that they really like that offers features that either aren't doable with Google Maps or are a PITA to accomplish?

Edited by BK-Hunters

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

EDIT: Speaking of maps - years ago I had found an earth map that had some cool features and have since lost its URL. Anybody have a map that they really like that offers features that either aren't doable with Google Maps or are a PITA to accomplish?

 

I used the Flopps map for my Lucky 7 waymark. Not sure, if that is of help. I think I will also use it to pin some of the locations that I plan to visit during our vacations in Scotland to see what a good route will be. One nice feature is hidden on the bottom right: Under "External Services" you can choose "Waymarking.com", which works similar to the "Search from here" button on Waymarking.com.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

 

I used the Flopps map for my Lucky 7 waymark.

One nice feature is hidden on the bottom right: Under "External Services" you can choose "Waymarking.com", which works similar to the "Search from here" button on Waymarking.com.

So do I, use it, that is, for Lucky 7s. I label the Waymarks and only include the longest distances from the "Lines" section. The shorter ones, of no real value, often tend to clutter up the map, hiding other information. Also, when WMs are closely packed I will move them a bit so all are exposed. Compare your map with THIS ONE.

Too, as a rule I use the featured Waymark as the centre. I only use an arbitrary centre when I have to, as you did here.

Had not explored the "External Services" feature. It might come in handy. Thanks.

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, BK-Hunters said:

I label the Waymarks and only include the longest distances from the "Lines" section.

 

Great idea. Right now I'm working on a new Lucky 7 waymark. There were far too many arrows. I removed most of them and now it looks much better. Thanks for the idea.

Share this post


Link to post

Just noticed this topic.  It rightly belongs in the Waymarking Features and Functions forum, since we're talking issues about the site and not Getting Started with Waymarking.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Nowadays, as the search option is not working, I just click on a WM and than zoom in on the map and use "search from here'. That works just fine. Nevertheless, I would be nice if the 'place search' would work again.

Share this post


Link to post

Go to Flopp's Map (www.flopp-caching.de), search for the location you want. Then on the bottom left there is a drop down menu titled "External Services". Select "Waymarking"

Easier that typing in coordinates

Capture.thumb.JPG.4fa05c4295a1b6ffbbb00a21c8553001.JPG

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

×
×
  • Create New...