No one finding the cache

Is it traditional?

Also, see other thread about “FTF effect”. Some people may be biding their time until there’s a compelling reason to go there (ie more caches or they have an errand in the area anyway)

Also depends on your area. You could compare it to other caches of the same type nearby hidden recently, scroll down in the logs and see what kind of activity they got.

Edited by Korichnovui
5 minutes ago, Korichnovui said:

Is it traditional?

Also, see other thread about “FTF effect”. Some people may be biding their time until there’s a compelling reason to go there (ie more caches or they have an errand in the area anyway)

Also depends on your area. You could compare it to other caches of the same type nearby hidden recently, scroll down in the logs and see what kind of activity they got.

There is quite a few caches in the area with a lot of signatures on the logs, there’s quite a few caches hidden too by about 10 different people, not every caches hides so there must be more people around here. 

Its the 6 weeks holidays here now so maybe it will get some more finds next week. I thought today would of brought some activity 

There are plenty of variables for sure. As Korichnovui stated, one is dependent on the area you live. Some areas still have a lot of activity but overall, geocaching isn't what it was a few years back in many areas. There are usually some go getters, some who want that ftf so a few logs will come in fast. After them, things usually slow to a crawl. Not sure where you are but this summer heat takes its toll on find rate as well. My area for instance, definitely slows with these 95+° temperatures.

I was just writing that the area you have chosen is where the local youngsters play in the summer so I wouldn't consider hunting during "normal" hours in case I was spotted and the cache was compromised. ..... and then up pops the next finder's note about the cache being muggled.

Be patient and wait for cachers to pick a good time to visit either unseen or after the summer holidays.

3 hours ago, hal-an-tow said:

Looks like you just got a find and a needs maintenance after possible muggling !

The start of the school  holidays may mean a lot of folk are away, the heat we are having at the moment is not really conducive to caching too.

Yeah I have addressed that issue. Absolutely gutted to be honest. No sign of logbook, trading items scattered everywhere. Some people are horrible 

4 hours ago, Korichnovui said:

Is it traditional?

Yeah it’s traditional :-)

4 hours ago, ''mykez'' said:

Thought it would of had more finds by now during its first week. Or is this normal?

Like hal-an-tow noticed  (and you already fixed), the cache already needing maintenance may keep a few people away.

For some locals, one cache isn't worth stopping, when they've grabbed all others around it some time ago, but may save for a needed day.

2 hours ago, searcherdog said:

I was just writing that the area you have chosen is where the local youngsters play in the summer so I wouldn't consider hunting during "normal" hours in case I was spotted and the cache was compromised. .....

Curious, what time other than "normal" hours could someone stop?    :)

Right on the cache page it states that the cemetery isn't open until 0800, so it seems they're dawn-to-dusk. 

- You'd stop at night, knowing the cemetery's closed ?

7 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Curious, what time other than "normal" hours could someone stop?    :)

Right on the cache page it states that the cemetery isn't open until 0800, so it seems they're dawn-to-dusk. 

- You'd stop at night, knowing the cemetery's closed ?

You can access it from a footpath when the cemetery is closed as well as it’s just off the cemetrey grounds.

maybe I need to update my description a little better as it may be misleading 

3 hours ago, ''mykez'' said:

Yeah I have addressed that issue. Absolutely gutted to be honest. No sign of logbook, trading items scattered everywhere. Some people are horrible 

It's not nice having your cache muggled,  but it happens,  especially with hides near where kids play. I've lost a few decent sized containers and the contents over the years, but it's  strange that they left the swag and took the logbook, it's usually the other way round !

If your hide is at a distinctive spot , say the base of a tree that stands out or a corner of a fence you might want to consider moving the container a little as the muggles will look there again if they remember and recognise the spot. You can move the co-ordinates a short way yourself ( on the cache page go to log your visit, then select update co-ords from the drop down menu) as long  as you don't get too close to another cache, or exceed the 161m limit. If you want to do that you need to contact the reviewer.

Good luck, don't give up , I'm sure you will get plenty of finds if you persist.

4 minutes ago, hal-an-tow said:

It's not nice having your cache muggled,  but it happens,  especially with hides near where kids play. I've lost a few decent sized containers and the contents over the years, but it's  strange that they left the swag and took the logbook, it's usually the other way round !

If your hide is at a distinctive spot , say the base of a tree that stands out or a corner of a fence you might want to consider moving the container a little as the muggles will look there again if they remember and recognise the spot. You can move the co-ordinates a short way yourself ( on the cache page go to log your visit, then select update co-ords from the drop down menu) as long  as you don't get too close to another cache, or exceed the 161m limit. If you want to do that you need to contact the reviewer.

Good luck, don't give up , I'm sure you will get plenty of finds if you persist.

Thanks for advice. 

Ive left it where it is for now, I will check on it tomorrow, if there’s the same problem i know another spot where I can hide it, I might just have to keep shuffling it around a little. Fingers crossed 

I know that someone else also mentioned this, but since I've seen this problem a LOT in my area, I'll reiterate:

If you move the cache, you'll need to change the coordinates on the cache page, NOT just in a note log.  If the coordinates at the top of the cache page are not correct, people will not be able to find it. Many will not bother to read the notes on the cache page, and they really shouldn't have to. So just make sure you actually update the coordinates at the top of the page!

6 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I know that someone else also mentioned this, but since I've seen this problem a LOT in my area, I'll reiterate:

If you move the cache, you'll need to change the coordinates on the cache page, NOT just in a note log.  If the coordinates at the top of the cache page are not correct, people will not be able to find it. Many will not bother to read the notes on the cache page, and they really shouldn't have to. So just make sure you actually update the coordinates at the top of the page!

Oh yes I will do, I already spotted the section where to edit the caches coordinates when I was checking over my listing. Thank you 

• Upvote 1
53 minutes ago, humboldt flier said:

Caching out here in the west slows my rate down because of heat and the "rattle snake season"

I guess it’s not fun in the heat is it. Getting all sticky, pocket full of gadgets, pens and bits of paper, midge bites, stings, the list is endless lol

Just now, Max and 99 said:

I think this advice (while correct) could be misleading.   The change is not made at the top of the page -- "correcting the coordinates" there will change them for you ONLY.  Anyone else who looks at the page will see only the original ones.  The change must be made with an UPDATE COORDINATES log.

• Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

I think this advice (while correct) could be misleading.   The change is not made at the top of the page -- "correcting the coordinates" there will change them for you ONLY.  Anyone else who looks at the page will see only the original ones.  The change must be made with an UPDATE COORDINATES log.

Yeah it’s under modified cache coordinates via log entry then selecting “update coordinates”

is that right? 

1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

Doing what I suggested, i.e. " on the cache page go to log your visit, then select update co-ords from the drop down menu"  updates the cache co-ordinates for all, and also adds an automatically generated note that the co-ords have been updated  (which includes the distance GZ has moved) . It only appears as a log option on your owned caches..