FTF Certificate / Gifts

oz9abf

Hello

I wonder what is good pratice for a FTF/STF/TTF ? Some kind of award, a certificate, a small gift etc ?

Is it possible to do something automatically like if you find a cache at the first time in another country you will get a souvenir. It could be nice to have it added automatically in your souvenir bank. Don't know if you can set it up in the cache homepage somehow ?

/BR Jakob (oz9abf)

2 hours ago, oz9abf said:

Hello

I wonder what is good pratice for a FTF/STF/TTF ? Some kind of award, a certificate, a small gift etc ?

Is it possible to do something automatically like if you find a cache at the first time in another country you will get a souvenir. It could be nice to have it added automatically in your souvenir bank. Don't know if you can set it up in the cache homepage somehow ?

/BR Jakob (oz9abf)

Link for reference:

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=29&pgid=558

HQ does not support that aspect of the sport directly so I don't see them offering any sort of souvenir for FTF anytime soon.  The Help Center article mentions one of the API partners that allows for keeping track of FTF's.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, oz9abf said:

We see prizes sometimes, but these days usually only on higher terrain caches for FTF.  So many interested in stats on third-party sites that a "prize" isn't the draw anymore.

- But one series just starting here has cash prizes for FTF, STF and third.

We've seen some put a scrolling marquee on the cache page for FTF, but few later could care less who got FTF. 

Many times the FTFer themselves never went back to see they received that "award".

• Upvote 1

I often give gift cards for FTF prize. I used to leave several $20-10 cards in the caches for 2tf, 3tf, etc, but then tag alongs were taking them all, even though they hadn't solved the puzzle, so I stopped doing that.  Now it's either leave one card for FTF, or offer to mail them one after they find the cache. Sometimes I leave cash instead.

On 6/7/2018 at 3:04 AM, oz9abf said:

I rarely see FTF prizes.  Getting the FTF is it's own reward, but there are 3rd party sites, like Project-GC, that will help keep track of FTF finds.  I think a cool FTF prize would be a premium membership, but I can't imagine that CO's can spend $30 USD on a prize.  I had a suggestion once that shorter gift memberships be offered, like a 1-month gift for $5 or something like that.  If that was an option, then I think more CO's would be inclined to provide such gifts in their caches.

On 6/7/2018 at 3:04 AM, oz9abf said:

Is this question about getting an FTF in another country, or just finding a cache in another country?  The existing Souvenir system already awards souvenirs when a cacher finds a cache in a new country, although not all countries are included yet.

Hi

Thanks for all your replies. It was a general question not any specific.

I just wondered what is done in general and what good practice is. But as I read it its quite different and at last up to the CO :-).

I'll think of something.

/Jakob

18 minutes ago, oz9abf said:

Hi

Thanks for all your replies. It was a general question not any specific.

I just wondered what is done in general and what good practice is. But as I read it its quite different and at last up to the CO :-).

I'll think of something.

/Jakob

When I place a cache I add an "FTF Certificate" printed and customized just for that cache container.  Most finders sign and keep the certificate.

If you desire to offer a unique web graphic banner for your caches, you can.  Design and post the banner (maybe on the cache page), and provide info on how a finder may place the banner into their profile.  I see a lot of profiles with a lot of such banners, but often these are "souvenirs" of sorts, for completion of a cache series or some other challenge.

On 07/06/2018 at 6:04 PM, oz9abf said:

Hello

/BR Jakob (oz9abf)

I got the Finland souvenir when I found a cache here. :)

11 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

So did I.  Unfortunately there are a lot of countries for which a souvenir is not yet available.  There are 7 countries in which I've found a cache which don't have a "country souvenir".

Yeah, there's only a few country souvenirs I remember seeing a list somewhere. In some countries you can also get a state souvenir or a province souvenir.

5 hours ago, avejr said:

Yeah, there's only a few country souvenirs I remember seeing a list somewhere. In some countries you can also get a state souvenir or a province souvenir.

There are a couple of good sites which show a complete list:

A-Team maintains a site that is kept up to date here:  http://thea-team.net/souvenir

According to the site there are 140 country/region souvenirs available.  I have quite a few of the U.S. State souvenirs,  4 of the German "States" (Bundeslander), 1 Irish "region", and 19 country souvenirs.

Project-gc also has a souvenirs page that has a complete list and also shows how many people have qualified for each of them.