No TBs in cache

Aer72

56 minutes ago, aer72 said:

I wish there was a way to mark them as missing from the cache without being the owner.

I don't.  We've seen too many times the mentions "trackable missing" in logs (one numerous times), to find a coin or TB tag stuck somewhere many didn't notice. 

The site has one of those algorithm things that takes care of most "missing" trackables in a sweep once in a while.  It's not perfect either...

• Upvote 1

This is a bug bear of mine too ...
I'd like to start by coming in from the side and  not like a bull in a china shop , as we all see things differently , what upsets me may be fine to others and vice versa . so before you all start shooting  me down in flames ,  we all have different priority and this in turn will affect how we perceive how the game should be played .  
I think the new Auto , system  to mark TB's as missing , will mess things up in stead of making it better .
I have drawn a blank , as to how this can be done , and by who .
my thought are leaning towards a flag log , like , needs maintenance / needs archiving , just for TB's , 
If you visit a cache and there is a TB listed in the inventory , ( I for one ) will look for it , other don't or aren't interested in TB's so possible didn't even notice there was one listed , and my log will reflect this , ( listed TB not found in the cache today ) , and then if this sort of log had been left before my visit , I'd think its gone .
time to post the ( TB / inventory / needs attention ) this would be sent to the C.O , the T.O , and the reviewer who covers the area which the cache is located in . 

hope fully the C.O , will do a maintenance visit , and if the TB is there , they can over ride the  ( listed TB not found in the cache today ) same way they would if it was a needs maintenance log for a wet  log , or damaged cache container .
if the C.O's no longer playing the game , the reviewer , can do their bit , same as they do for a ( Temporary disabled cache ) or ( needs archiving cache ) they will send out a stock log , 
the inventory has been reported as being incorrect and needs to be verified as ( X,Y,Z - TB has been flagged as NOT being in the cache )  giving the C.O a time limit to go and ( do cache maintenance )  and report back if no response by the allotted time the said TB will be marked as missing / unknown location 

this is just my thought , 

On 4/26/2018 at 6:58 PM, little-leggs said:

I think the new Auto , system  to mark TB's as missing , will mess things up in stead of making it better .

I understand if this is your opinion, but I don't see how you explain the basis for this opinion in your post.  Why do you think this will mess things up instead of making it better?

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 6:58 PM, little-leggs said:

Clearing all the "missing"/incorrectly logged trackables should help everybody, especially those who'd like to find a trackable once-in-a-while.    :)

We know of a few TOs that, for some strange reason, put their trackable back into the cache after it was removed from inventory/marked missing at maintenance by the CO.  We had that happen as well.    That doesn't make any sense to us, and were surprised to find a number of COs who had the same problem.    One had that back n forth action a couple times before the TO finally stopped it.   I woulda mailed HQ.   All the while it was sitting there they didn't do anything about them.    Fix it and it's an issue?

I think marked missing by HQ might stop that silliness too.    ;)

On 30/04/2018 at 6:16 PM, hzoi said:

I understand if this is your opinion, but I don't see how you explain the basis for this opinion in your post.  Why do you think this will mess things up instead of making it better?

there are for and agents AUTO marking as missing by HQ , like 

yes , it would clear up the inventory's of many cache's , esp those where the C.O that seem to longer be play the game and have stopped maintaining  their cache's 

But , this should be done by C.O's as part of their obligation as a cache owner , when they carry out , routine maintenance .

13 minutes ago, little-leggs said:

yes , it would clear up the inventory's of many cache's , esp those where the C.O that seem to longer be play the game and have stopped maintaining  their cache's 

But , this should be done by C.O's as part of their obligation as a cache owner , when they carry out , routine maintenance .

How does this mess anything up, though? If the COs aren't doing it, then isn't it better that HQ does it, so that the cache inventory is more correct? What is the downside to having HQ do it? "It's the CO's responsibility" isn't a downside. :)

• Upvote 1

It may help all parties C.O's T.O's an TB hunters , if we'd all say what we see , . 

if there's a TB in the inventory , yet when you get to the cache and its not there ( so its not there ) on the cache page and the TB page too 

you'll write if the logs wet / full ? 

even if you don't like TB's 

this could also be done via a check list which pops up when you go to log the cache , if there's a TB in the inventory , the pop up could ask you , have you ,

( picked it up - to move )

( discovered it )

( NO TB IN THE CACHE when I visited ) 

what I like to see is the humble TB is give a greater importance in the game .... 

like bring back the ( * ) pop up next to TB , to say you have held it for more than two weeks ,( its time for you to move it on get it back in the game for others to move and enjoy )  bring this back and possibly make it show after four weeks .
visit logs will not over ride this message .......

1 hour ago, little-leggs said:

It is only very recently that it has become part of the CO's responsibility.  And I still don't think it should be!  It's the TO's responsibility.  I can think of a few well respected CO's who would never do that.  You may still be able to e-mail Eartha with a list of obviously missing Trackables.

• Upvote 2

A lotta issues we've noticed with others today is everything has to be now.  "Rules" placed on FTF a good example...

Before this phone thing, if we went on vacation it could be possible that we couldn't log caches or trackables for a week.  Fortunately the other 2/3rds would hit that tiny blackberry and at least try to get trackables logged in our possession when possible.

I still don't cache with a phone.  I don't lug a laptop with me either.  The fact that a trackable isn't in the cache when you get there doesn't necessarily mean it's "missing".

7 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

I still don't cache with a phone.  

me neither , I do have a phone now , but still like to use my old Garmin 

back to the question , of marking TB that have been proven to not be in the listed , cache after many visits , not just an hour and one mention , if its not there say its not there , and after a sensible time frame mark it as missing , if its not in the game its ( missing / unknown location ) this doesn't write the trackable off it just shows everyone the state of play 

On 4/26/2018 at 3:58 PM, little-leggs said:

hope fully the C.O , will do a maintenance visit , and if the TB is there , they can over ride the  ( listed TB not found in the cache today ) same way they would if it was a needs maintenance log for a wet  log , or damaged cache container .
if the C.O's no longer playing the game , the reviewer , can do their bit , same as they do for a ( Temporary disabled cache ) or ( needs archiving cache ) they will send out a stock log , 
the inventory has been reported as being incorrect and needs to be verified as ( X,Y,Z - TB has been flagged as NOT being in the cache )  giving the C.O a time limit to go and ( do cache maintenance )  and report back if no response by the allotted time the said TB will be marked as missing / unknown location

This would be a good reason for CO's to stop placing caches that are big enough for Trackable items.

I've recently found about a dozen ammo cans that require a not insignificant amount of hiking to get to. Are you suggesting that a CO should spend an entire day checking on such a cache just because a 'missing trackable' is listed as being in the cache's inventory, even if the cache itself is in great shape?  Guess it will be time to replace larger caches with micros.

And what if a CO places a cache that is big enough for trackables, but writes in the cache description that "This cache is not safe for trackables. They often go missing, so be cautious about dropping them off here."  If cachers continue to place trackables in such a cache, then should the CO have to go out often to check the TB inventory, even if the cache itself if completely fine?

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, noncentric said:

This would be a good reason for CO's to stop placing caches that are big enough for Trackable items.

If a needs maintenance log was left on said ammo can , saying log wet , unable to sign due to the last finder no closing the lid properly would that stop you , placing cache's ?
maintenance doesn't have to be the very next day , but it is part of the conditions we all agree to when placing a cache , ( you agree to regularly maintain it ) that now being the physical condition , log book , container and its contents ( the inventory is now covered ) 

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, little-leggs said:

If a needs maintenance log was left on said ammo can , saying log wet , unable to sign due to the last finder no closing the lid properly would that stop you , placing cache's ?
maintenance doesn't have to be the very next day , but it is part of the conditions we all agree to when placing a cache , ( you agree to regularly maintain it ) that now being the physical condition , log book , container and its contents ( the inventory is now covered ) 

I use water-resistant paper for logsheets, so my logs are unlikely to be so wet that they can't be signed. Cachers not closing lids is not the same as maintaining TB inventory. Plus, I didn't say stop placing ANY caches, just caches that are BIG ENOUGH for trackables.

Yes, CO's agree to maintain their caches. If they want to minimize maintenance needs, then they can hide more watertight containers in hopes that cache contents won't get wet  OR  they can place their caches in protected areas  OR  they can use better camo to avoid muggling. In that same vein, if they don't want to deal with maintaining inventories, then they can hide smaller caches that trackables can't fit into.

You mentioned (in another thread) that requiring maintenance on trackable inventory would "make the game we play better" and you certainly enjoy the trackable side of the game, but there are plenty of cachers that don't care about trackables. They are not playing a TB game, they are playing a Caching game.  Personally, I prefer searching for cache containers that are hidden in all sorts of areas, not picking up and moving a game piece that oftentimes even the TO doesn't care about.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, noncentric said:

We know of two who replaced all owned from lock n locks to pill bottles after getting NMs for pencils, full logs (that still had one whole side left), and being emailed to check trackables..   Both still have the same awesome areas, and other than occasional wet logs aren't bothered by silliness anymore.  

Just like the dozens of COs we know of, raising D/T when the free intro app started, I can see that happening easily.  One of those lemonade outta lemons things. Some time or another a bunch will finally have had it, and it's just enough to maybe get the site to notice.

Some of ours are visited even less than theirs.  After this poor choice by the site  (used to say a CO can mark it missing...) we've said to others we've no problem replacing ammo cans with matchstick holders.   Is a step up from pill bottles ...   :)