Challenges

Pfadi1

In my Region more and more Caches are Challenges. 

I ask myself (and many of my GEO—Friends) in this is necessary. These Challenges get really hard now.

Ridicilously hard!

What do you think? Do you like these Challenge-Caches? However impossible they are?

Yes, I like them. I just ignore the ones I'm not interested in whether it's because I'm not likely to be able to meet them or because the challenge just doesn't seem interesting.

Dunno how many is too many to you. You could try talking to the CO and mention that you'd like to see more achievable challenges, just like you can talk to COs about any other caches you think are a waste of space.

• Upvote 2

There is a Challenge Power Trail near me, and the Challenges are daunting, especially to me as a relative newcomer to this hobby.  I may never qualify for most of them, but there are many more caches, mostly traditionals but plenty of puzzles, multi's and other types, in the area to find for me to get upset over this power trail.  Yes, they are diffucult to complete, but kudos to those who set goals and then achieve them!

56 minutes ago, dprovan said:

Yes, I like them. I just ignore the ones I'm not interested in whether it's because I'm not likely to be able to meet them or because the challenge just doesn't seem interesting.

A good plan!

3 hours ago, Pfadi1 said:

What do you think? Do you like these Challenge-Caches?

We got pretty close in our state's all county challenge a couple years ago.   Gas was getting crazy, and realized we'd be broke adding in motels and bagged it.  Neither of us have time now anyway.

Still challenge-free,  I understand that they're supposedly set to achieve certain goals, but they're someone else's goals, and not normally how I play.      :)

6 hours ago, Pfadi1 said:

I ask myself (and many of my GEO—Friends) in this is necessary. These Challenges get really hard now.

Ridicilously hard!

What do you think? Do you like these Challenge-Caches? However impossible they are?

Current challenge guidelines favors time consuming challenges which may seem impossible to any newcomer. After few years of active geocaching many of them may qualify without any special effort. Especially all new challenges tends to fullfill automatically.

You can go to find them. The only difference is that instead of "Found it" you just post a "Note". Experience is absolutely the same for the rest.

Maybe the same can be done for mysteries then. No need to solve the puzzle if you don't want to. Or for T5 diving/climbing caches.

They should merge these threads when they recur so we don't have to deja-vu our way through these discussions, again.

When Groundspeak makes puzzle completion, use of a diving bell and helicopters an ALR, then for sure decoupling those events from the find would make sense.

Challenge completion is the only sanctioned and documented ALR at this point, so that would be where we should start.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, on4bam said:

Maybe the same can be done for mysteries then. No need to solve the puzzle if you don't want to.

If one stumbles across a mystery cache without solving the puzzle, one is still entitled to sign the log.  Happened to us during the CITO following Germany's first mega event.  No one gave us the coordinates; we just happened to find it, and we logged it.

I know you're likely referring to the unfortunate practice of people sharing puzzle solutions, and not accidental finds, just wanted to mention other possibilities.

Back to the topic: it depends on the challenge. 

I like the geographic ones like county and Delorme challenges that inspire me to visit places and get out of my local area.  I enjoy some of the the statistic based ones more, like Fizzy/Well Rounded Cacher challenges that got me out of my comfort zone and inspired me to go for more physically and/or mentally challenging caches.

Really, it's a question of whether it's actually a challenge for us.  If a challenge looks interesting, and we're not yet qualified for it, I enjoy doing some more work toward that goal so I can eventually log it.  But we've been at this for a while, and we already meet requirements for a lot of existing challenges.  If all I need to do to log a challenge cache is run a challenge checker on project-gc.com and then sign the log, I might get to it if I'm in the area, but it's not as interesting.

Edited by hzoi
20 hours ago, Pfadi1 said:

It depends on the Challenge Cache. The only caches on my Ignore List are nearby Challenge Caches that I don't expect to ever complete. On the other hand, I have completed a few Challenge Caches, and there are a couple more that I am (slowly) working on.

3 hours ago, hzoi said:

I know you're likely referring to the unfortunate practice of people sharing puzzle solutions, and not accidental finds, just wanted to mention other possibilities.

No, I'm not. Qualifying is part of the challenge cache so decoupling is silly. Solve the mystery, find a log the cache, qualify, find the challenge cache and log it...

20 hours ago, Pfadi1 said:

Ridicilously hard!

More and more? What percentage? I'm sure you can still go out and find plenty caches without "having to go and log the challenges"

How hard are the challenges?  Since "a reasonable number" of cachers must be able to qualify they can not be to hard, right?