Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
andersen1982

What is Waymarking?

7 posts in this topic

I am  a fairly new geocacher.

My daughter and i found our first geocache about 6 years ago and within the last year we have gone all in and she (dyslexic) is now solving mysteries on screen and finding them in nature.

My favourites have been the LPC and historic caches. We have promised to make a cache for a Christmas calender.

Is WM a series of waypoints to guide the visitor through interesting Places?

How do you tell the story underway?

Will a WM qualify as a GC in a Christmas calender for a local GC Group?

2 hours ago, andersen1982 said:

We have promised to make a cache for a Christmas calender.

A waymark is a single location (usually) of some interest (at least, to someone). Many are historical locations where a traditional geocache would not be allowed. The main difference between waymarks and geocaches is that geocaches want you to locate a "hidden item". Waymarks are absolutely NOT hidden. There is a picture (usually) of what is waymarked, and hopefully a long description of why it is interesting. The write-up should make someone want to go visit this to see it for themselves.

There may be geocaches very near a waymark. (There is a geocache just over a mile west of me in a city park. There is a category for "Municipal Parks and Plazas". The park could be waymarked and have the geocache in the park.)(But the park is not that interesting.)

Will your GC group accept a waymark in their calendar?? That would be up to them.

The question is: How popular is Waymarking in your part of the world. Here in Vienna, Austria me and my girlfriend do both Geocaching and Waymarking, but many geocachers have no idea what Waymarking is, how it works etc. Many of them have never ever heard of it until we tell them about it. So, depending on how open-minded your colleagues are you might either start their interest in Waymarking or put yourself on their ignore list. :-) Seriously spoken: If you find a waymark you can't log a geocache and therefore some of them might be disappointed, but some might be grateful for drawing their attention to this new opportunity.

If you want to show several spots in one waymark, check out the Waymark Tours (WayTours) category.

And most of all: Don't hesitate to ask more questions, if you have some.

Edited by PISA-caching

So it`s a bit like a pamphlet from the tourist office recommending sites for this and that reason and a waymark Tour are several sites (waymarks) combined together to form a hike that leads past all of them?

29 minutes ago, andersen1982 said:

So it`s a bit like a pamphlet from the tourist office recommending sites for this and that reason and a waymark Tour are several sites (waymarks) combined together to form a hike that leads past all of them?

Yes it can be :) - I designed my waytour to pick up some hard to find icons and also take people to significant places in Dallas 

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMGC3P_Downtown_Dallas_Dealey_Plaza_WayTour_Dallas_TX

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 8:54 PM, andersen1982 said:

41 minutes ago, andersen1982 said:

Possible you're confusing Waymarking with  Wherigo  ?

1 hour ago, andersen1982 said:

Nope. It's more like following people on Flickr that post and share their vacation photos. We were here pictures with coordinates. ;)