Posted coordinates on unknown caches

14 hours ago, niraD said:

It's even mentioned in the guidelines: "At times a geocache may meet the requirements for publication on the site but the reviewers, as experienced geocachers, may see additional concerns not listed in these guidelines that you as a geocache placer may not have noticed. The reviewer may bring these additional concerns to your attention and offer suggestions so that the geocache can be published."

There's a difference between a case by case assessment and a new blanket rule.

10 hours ago, narcissa said:

I guess accepting that it's a one-off request from a reviewer regarding a particular cache doesn't provide much of a springboard for conspiracy theories and irrelevant rambling about the good old days.

I'm quite sure that this was an attempt to be rude and insulting. If so, it didn't work. ;)

Really, there's no need in trying to belittle other participants just because their opinions differ from yours.

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, Mudfrog said:

I'm quite sure that this was an attempt to be rude and insulting. If so, it didn't work. ;)

Really, there's no need in trying to belittle other participants just because their opinions differ from yours.

What opinion? The reviewer simply asked someone not to put posted coordinates in someone's yard.

On 2017/7/26 at 8:15 AM, cerberus1 said:

I couldn't find anything on this in that new help center format, but that's nothing new these days...   :huh:

Similar to Team Microdot  maybe, around here many go in groups (often after events) to do a geoart run.

Guess I can see how a group of fifteen or better people  accessing private property might/could present an issue.

- But since we don't know the whole story (what was actually said, where you intend to place...) , this is  just a guess.  :)

Really??? Among that many (like fifteen!) cachers who even attended an event, none of them doesn't even understand the fact that unknown caches can be somewhere else and even decides to trespass? No wonder why the game is heading towards death.

Edited by kanchan

Even if you post

This cache is not at the Posted Coordinates

Does not mean cachers would read the cache page.

Had a newbie try to log a find on one of my puzzles saying he couldn't find it. Why he logged something that he didn't find. He said it was missing.  I asked him did he look in the tree. 

What tree? Then I knew he didn't solve the puzzle and was looking at the posted coords.

• Upvote 1
On 7/28/2017 at 7:01 AM, Team DEMP said:

How is it any different from someone not reading it's a 5 difficulty? Are we eliminating those caches because some moron caused himself or someone else harm by selecting an icon on a map, pressing start, and walking off a cliff?

Let's make everything a 1/1 light post ... until someone gets in an accident in a parking lot and we can then get rid of those.

"Do not attempt to enter route information or adjust this device while driving.  Failure to pay full attention to the operation of your vehicle could result in death, serious injury or property damage.  You assume total responsibility and risk for using this device." 

This is what I have to read every time I use my Garmin Nuvi.    I wonder why?    It seems obvious to me I shouldn't be playing around with my gps while driving.  

Could it be to protect the company from the thousands of lawsuits by people who don't understand or are looking for someone to sue when things go wrong?    

It's easy to criticize the policy when your not the one who has to deal with the issues. 

We should strive to look out for everyone,  even the morons.

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, justintim1999 said:
  On 7/28/2017 at 7:01 AM, Team DEMP said:

How is it any different from someone not reading it's a 5 difficulty? Are we eliminating those caches because some moron caused himself or someone else harm by selecting an icon on a map, pressing start, and walking off a cliff?

Let's make everything a 1/1 light post ... until someone gets in an accident in a parking lot and we can then get rid of those.

Apparently someone is trying to do that too.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/25/us/light-poles-are-vanishing-and-baltimores-police-are-baffled.html

9 minutes ago, on4bam said:

I would just let nature take it's course, there's a reason the Darwin awards are such a success B)

From an evolutionary stable strategy and mercenary point of view though it makes sense to keep them alive as long as possible.

Protecting them from the dangers you have spotted means they're around longer to detonate the ones you've missed, keeping you alive to perpetuate your genes for just a little longer.

On 7/26/2017 at 2:29 PM, Mudfrog said:

Send all the complaints you want,, i'm certainly not worried about my mailbox being overwhelmed.

If this has come from GS, then it's yet another change in guidelines that inhibits cache placement. It sure seems strange that there's worry about this but then it's perfectly fine for a person to place all the parking lot caches (without permission) they want.

Parking lots are mostly on public property. There are some businesses in my area where caches have been placed, and the CO has noted in their description that permission was given. 

And that's apples and oranges compared to a cache icon in someone's backyard as opposed to one in a Walmart parking lot. If a cache icon (puzzle, traditional etc) popped up in my backyard, I would certainly email the CO to remove it away from my property, as probably you would too. If not, like Keystone said, there'd be newbies tromping through looking for non-existent cache containers. 

On 7/27/2017 at 3:58 AM, Team DEMP said:

I guess geocaching is a good measure of the reverse evolution of humans.  It took 15-17 years of this working ok to get to the point where humans have gotten less intelligent to the point this rule needs to be enacted. 

Soon there won't be any caches or logs and we just participate in an online logging experience so everyone can log and feel good about it. Maybe instead of a participation medal we can call it participation logging - create an account and log. Maybe we can all get a virtual hug after the log is submitted. At least there won't be any maintenance threads with no caches to maintain.

I seriously doubt it would come close to this. I'm sure there are plenty of D5 caches out there to find who desire such challenges. 

On 7/28/2017 at 8:37 AM, Mudfrog said:

Looking at the cache page again would be the logical thing to do, to see if the yard/backyard was even mentioned. If nothing was found there, then i could always go up to the front door (i've done this a few times), knock on it, and ask if i'm in the right place. I could always just leave if no one answered or if i didn't feel comfortable knocking in the first place.

I do know there are times when trespassing is not obvious and there have been lots of instances brought up here in the forums. But i don't remember any of them being because someone followed bogus mystery cache listed coordinates.

How cool would that be for a complete stranger to come knocking on your door asking about "geocaching".

"Hey, there's a geocache icon on your roof, ma'am. Do you mind if I take a quick look around?"

I don't see how any issues could arise from this. <_<

Edited by SeattleWayne

Are people dumber or is geocaching just more popular and older?

If the % of Cachers Without Common Sense is constant, but the number of caches and cachers increases substantially then the number of problems increases substantially.

Furthermore, if caching continues over an extended period of time as it has even many rare problems eventually pass the threshold of "we should do something to deal with this situation."

Mostly though this is yet another mountain out of a mole hill wherein one Reviewer asked one hide to be adjusted and somehow this turned into a debate over a nonexistent policy change.

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, SeattleWayne said:

How cool would that be for a complete stranger to come knocking on your door asking about "geocaching".

"Hey, there's a geocache icon on your roof, ma'am. Do you mind if I take a quick look around?"

I don't see how any issues could arise from this. <_<

Mileage will vary i suppose but nope,, i have never had an issue knocking on someone's door and asking if they were familiar with geocaching. If i happen to see someone watching me, then i'll usually go over and tell them what i'm doing. I'm one of those that doesn't see anything wrong with geocaching so i don't try to hide it.

Parking lots are mostly on public property. There are some businesses in my area where caches have been placed, and the CO has noted in their description that permission was given. 

And that's apples and oranges compared to a cache icon in someone's backyard as opposed to one in a Walmart parking lot. If a cache icon (puzzle, traditional etc) popped up in my backyard, I would certainly email the CO to remove it away from my property, as probably you would too. If not, like Keystone said, there'd be newbies tromping through looking for non-existent cache containers.

Parking lots are not public property. They are privately owned but available for parking customers. For grins, i've asked store management a couple of times and their replies were that they would never give permission to someone to place a cache under a light pole in their parking lot. It was a liability issue. Some mangers may be ok with an LPC but i doubt few would actually give permission if asked. And no, i'm not worried about a puzzle cache icon hovering over my house on a map.

I would just let nature take it's course, there's a reason the Darwin awards are such a success B)

Couldn't think of a better way to say this. Thank you!

Mostly though this is yet another mountain out of a mole hill wherein one Reviewer asked one hide to be adjusted and somehow this turned into a debate over a nonexistent policy change.

You're probably right. Of course it wouldn't surprise me if it was new policy. In the grand scheme of things though, it's not much of a worry.

I'm surprised some of you haven't come up with scenarios where a cacher just follows their GPS right through the parking lot, across the stream, up the hill along the trail before bushwhacking with their vehicle the last 200 ft. We should stop caches that a driver might not be able to reach with their car in case they don't  realize they can't drive to the cache. 

5 hours ago, Team DEMP said:

I'm surprised some of you haven't come up with scenarios where a cacher just follows their GPS right through the parking lot, across the stream, up the hill along the trail before bushwhacking with their vehicle the last 200 ft. We should stop caches that a driver might not be able to reach with their car in case they don't  realize they can't drive to the cache. 

No one is trying to stop any caches here. 

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Mudfrog said:

For grins, i've asked store management a couple of times and their replies were that they would never give permission to someone to place a cache under a light pole in their parking lot.

I know of folks who have asked for permission and it has been granted:P

There are a lot of caches in my area where store owners know about the cache and encourage them to be placed in their parking lots. 

11 hours ago, SeattleWayne said:

I know of folks who have asked for permission and it has been granted:P

There are a lot of caches in my area where store owners know about the cache and encourage them to be placed in their parking lots. 

Like i say, i'm sure there are some store owners and managers that are ok with this but i'd bet money that most aren't. Well, it probably has something to do with the general area a person lives as well. I doubt very many even ask for permission. Not sure of the exact number but i'd say that we've been approached by store managers/employees around 10 times over the years, asking what we were doing in their parking lot. They didn't even know about geocaching. I admit, some were ok with it after telling them about our hobby but the majority asked us to remove or get word to the CO to remove the cache

Edited by Mudfrog
1 hour ago, Mudfrog said:

Like i say, i'm sure there are some store owners and managers that are ok with this but i'd bet money that most aren't. Well, it probably has something to do with the general area a person lives too. I doubt very many that even ask for permission. Not sure of the exact number but i'd say that we've been approached by store managers/employees around 10 times over the years, asking what we were doing in their parking lot. They didn't even know about geocaching. I admit, some were ok with it after telling them about geocaching but the majority asked us to remove or get word to the CO to remove the cache

In my experience the majority of store owners are okay with it. I've never been asked to remove the cache or to tell the CO to remove the cache. 

In my experience...

But in my experience...

Yeah well in my experience...

Everyone can have a very different experience. Let Groundspeak, who has the biggest view of all 'experiences', worldwide, even, especially those reported, make the decisions, not any one individual who has a very very narrow view of the 'experience'.

• Upvote 1
On 7/28/2017 at 7:13 PM, narcissa said:

I guess accepting that it's a one-off request from a reviewer regarding a particular cache doesn't provide much of a springboard for conspiracy theories and irrelevant rambling about the good old days.

I don't see how this type of hyperbolic "contribution" helps the discussion. I've read the whole thread and did not see one mention conspiracy theories. 

26 minutes ago, DarkZen said:

I don't see how this type of hyperbolic "contribution" helps the discussion. I've read the whole thread and did not see one mention conspiracy theories. 

The entire discussion *is* a conspiracy theory that Groundspeak has created a new secret rule (false) in order to deliberately stifle creativity (false) and stop geo-art (false) and that the game is being ruined because of something to do with someone's version of "common sense" (what?). Those are your hyperbolic contributions right there.

In actuality, a reviewer has simply noted a potential issue with one cache, and has asked for that minor issue to be addressed before that cache can be published.