Magellan Geocache Treasure Hunt

Is anyone following the hunt for the treasure that is in Portland? The third clue just came out this afternoon and I haven't heard anything about it here. I figure the Medallion Family will have it by tonight but wondered if anyone else is in the hunt. You can find it here. Tomorrow afternoon the actual coordinates should be posted and if it has not been found by then the real race should be on.

I've gone to look for myself, if I should return before I get back, please keep me here.

We were extra lucky up here in the Seattle area. Magellan made an error, and included 5 "first to find" tickets in the treasure chest. They're doing the right thing and honoring our tickets. In addition to the person who really did find the treasure first, the next four of us (Supergenius, Uplink, LucyandRickie, me) will be receiving the new Color SportTrak. I can't wait!!

The first finder is the only person getting entered in the drawing, but he deserves it.

The cache container on these is really cool, and even if you don't get a GPS...you get a coupon for a free Magellan cap. It's a fun find. icon_smile.gif

Cin

Hey, the race to the Magellan boxes is nothing compared to what happens when a Moun10bike coin appears somewhere in the Puget Sound area. Last time I recall the Hanson Creek cache went up at 10 at night - up near Snoqualamie Pass. I got there early the next morning, Misguided One got there earlier, and GEM's went up the night before and beat us both up there! Lots of dedicated folks on the hunt these days icon_biggrin.gif !

Congrats DenaliNW...

I first looked at this earlier today, and the first location that came to mind was exactly where you found it. Dang... If I did not have to come home and work on the house... icon_razz.gif

Good job!!! With 3 caches located out there, you figure more folks would have been there sooner...

My mind not only wanders...

Sometimes it leaves completely...

**Namaste**

Congrats Denali! What an awesome find! I bet you can't wait to get your new GPS!

I was out there ALL DAY, so I can truly appreciate what a great find that must have been. I can happily report I was the 2nd one there.

And yes Tungsten... I CAN NOT BELIEVE the location... how WEIRD IS THAT?!? Makes me wonder who placed that sucker? Are they following me? Was that some sort of sick GeoNap joke?!? icon_confused.gif

Way to go DenaliNW. I had suspected that area also but it was such a huge area to search that I decided to wait for more specific clues today. That makes your find all the more a great feat. TJ is right and since I cant sleep now I'm on my way out to see this thing myself and get a hat.

Great job DenaliNW.

I've gone to look for myself, if I should return before I get back, please keep me here.

Hi all, first I want to say congrats to DenaliNW on your FTF in the Magellan Treasure Hunt. I have been following the "Portugal Plunder" Magellan Cache and now it seems nobody can find it. What on earth do you think the reason for that is?

Portugal Plunder Hmmmm... the name may say it all. It's a mystery I will be following.

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Horizontals where it's at!

Yeah.. That's odd that no one can find it now... GeoNap and I were there last night watching people show up and search. We left a little after 10pm. We helped one guy find it (JohnnyZnor), and right after that there was a BIG family looking for it. As we were walking away, they were FIANLLY looking in the right direction. Also passed by nmartin(?) on the way out, and talked to Gofindit in the parking area.

If someone took that thing, it had to be between when GeoNap and I left, and Gofindit showed up, because Nap and I were hanging out in the area watching people try to find this thing. And the one person we did see find it, didn't take it. And if that was nmartin that passed by us, I know he's not the type of person to plunder a cache...

I might head back out there today and see what's up...

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

N 45* 30.ish

W 122* 58.ish

GeoNap called me before I got outta Hillsboro.. Saved me a trip.

This REALLY disappoints me. Several of us made comments to Magellan like 'don't forget the birthplace of Geocaching'... They heard our comments, and they responded. Unfortuantely the cache was plundered. I hope that Magellan realizes that this is not typical of Portland geocachers, or any geocacher really. We are not plunderers! There will always be a few that will try to ruin the game for the rest of us, but they are not the majority, and they will not succeed. Because of this whole situation, I feel a bit sad to have claimed a ticked for a hat while so many other deserving people should have been able to claim one as well. Yeah I know, it's just a hat, but it's sort of symbolic. I will be returning my ticket to Magellan, not to redeem it for a hat, but to ask that they please don't see this plundering as a reflection of Portland area geocachers, and please re-hide another treasure in our area.

-fractal

That's a darn shame!

fractal thanks for the report

My take on the situation, hoping it was just somebody that's been following the Magellan Site and did not fully read the SOP's. Maybe a non-cacher found the box and thought he/she was supposed to take the TREASURE(the whole box).

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Horizontals where it's at!

Well, I'm just getting back home, hopefully you all saw the post I called GeoDiva and fractal with earlier. I went back out to the area to verify.

The cache is definitely gone. I searched the area it had been in last night and all around the general area, it is definitely gone. It's too bad someone had to take the cache. From talking with everyone, the window for the theft was a pretty narrow section of time.

To the person who took the cache, I say this, PLEASE PUT IT BACK. If you took it on accident because you didn't understand the game, fine, and if it wasn't an accident please just put it back anyway.