New catégory idea : Hourglasses

First of all, excuse me for my bad English.

So I'm already doing a first survey on what inspires you this possible category ...

The hourglasses! They have existed since their creation on numerous media and in various fields. One can mainly find in the museums, Marines or Time for example. Often associated with science, it can be found on paintings and associated with death, on sculptures and in cemeteries ... the field of research is broad and global

Some examples :

US Cemetery : My link

painting : My link

sculpture : My link

Work of art : My link or My link

Then what do the hourglasses inspire you?

sablie14.jpg

sablie10.jpg

sablie13.jpg

Edited by Gatinaise

First of all, excuse me for my bad English.

So I'm already doing a first survey on what inspires you this possible category ...

The hourglasses! They have existed since their creation on numerous media and in various fields. One can mainly find in the museums, Marines or Time for example. Often associated with science, it can be found on paintings and associated with death, on sculptures and in cemeteries ... the field of research is broad and global

Some examples :

US Cemetery : My link

painting : My link

sculpture : My link

Work of art : My link or My link

Then what do the hourglasses inspire you?

sablie10.jpg

I like the idea, but there's a few issues here. These are almost always not permanent. They break easily if fallen or are easily sold and move from display to display, museum to museum. Unlike other waymarkable items inside museums, for example preserved machines, which are near impossible to move due to their size. Sometimes there are 10 or 20 in the same display. How do we differentiate between a group of hourglasses for a single waymark verses multiple listings for all of them? I see potential in this in the future I would vote "yea", but it needs some work before I could vote with confidence. I was in Spain back in 2014, I did buy myself a souvenir hourglass from an outdoor market that is made from polished wood. That being said, should collections owned by private citizens be accepted as well? Can I waymark this from my own home where the community would need to contact me via my profile in order to log the waymark? I think this category should be open to all sizes of hourglasses so long as they are not for sale and seem to be a permeant display. If it moves around a single building or museum I think that's okay so long as the hourglass doesn't seem to be moved from museum to museum as with some exhibits are.

Thank you Bluesnote, these remarks are very interesting!

It seems logical to reference only the hourglasses that are permanently exposed (so no temporary exhibition) and never those on sale (so no shop or antique dealer for exemple).

I do not think the hourglasses move a lot from one museum to another, but the question may arise for the paintings. However this is already the case for many wmk concerning objects (globe for example) and yet I do not think the case is frequent. If a museum definitely gives an hourglass to another museum then it will be the same case that a store sign that closes to open elsewhere, both can be referenced.

In the case of a private collector who wishes to present his hourglasses on appointment why not (personally I do not know if the guidelines allow it).

In the case where several hourglasses (real objects) are displayed in the same museum or in a private collection, I think that a single waymark should be created and present the different objects possibly in the description.

If in a museum there are several hourglasses (object), a painting and a sculpture for example then 3 wmk could be created.

The group will be able to validate on case by case basis several wmk in the same museum if they have a real value to be identified separately.

On the other hand each painting or sculpture to be the subject of a unique wmk (as in a cemetery for example).

[i was in Spain back in 2014, I did buy myself a souvenir hourglass from an outdoor market that is made from polished wood. That being said, should collections owned by private citizens be accepted as well? Can I waymark this from my own home where the community would need to contact me via my profile in order to log the waymark?]

Good evening Bluesnote, I thought about the case of the private collection. After reflection I think that is not a good idea ... All people who have an hourglass at home could want to create a waymark at home, that is to say a lot of people. At this time, a minimum number of 15 hourglasses could be set.

But if I have understood your situation well, you have a very fine hourglass, perhaps an old one that you would like to show. In this case my fear is even greater by what these hourglasses can be very expensive and ill-intentioned people could directly know where to find these hourglasses and it is a risk that I do not want to run ...

What do you think ?

In proposing a new category, it is expected that items waymarked are "Open to the Public"

I would strongly suggest excluding private collections that require an appointment regardless if it is for one item or 1,000.

Peer review can be difficult at times, and I would not vote to approve a category that allows item/s in private collections that require an appointment. The risk is too high for the owner of the item/s and the waymarker.

I actually like the idea and think it has possibilities.

Edited by BK-Hunters

In proposing a new category, it is expected that items waymarked are "Open to the Public"

I would strongly suggest excluding private collections that require an appointment regardless if it is for one item or 1,000.

Peer review can be difficult at times, and I would not vote to approve a category that allows item/s in private collections that require an appointment. The risk is too high for the owner of the item/s and the waymarker.

I actually like the idea and think it has possibilities.

Thank you BK-Hunters, I agree

Wow, never seen one of these.

I did look at your group page and see you already have five officers. Is there a reason why enrollment is "off"?

BK-Hunters, is the first time that I make the step to create a category and I do not know all the practices ... I reopened the enrollment :)

In order to remove the ambiguity on the term Hourglass (which could include the clepsydra) I will modify the names of the category in "Sandglass".

I think the term 'Sandglass' is even MORE confusing. Better to keep the term hourglass and just note in the category description that only depictions of or actual hourglasses using sand will be accepted.

In the US, 'sandglass' has a specific and usual meaning of glass that is made from silica sand -- but EVERYONE instantly knows exactly what an hourglass is. Keep that term :) it's perfect.

I think it can be an opportunity to expand this category with clepsydres/water clocks, their are cousins or ancestors and have no chance to have their own category, because very uncommon.

And Chickilim examples are awesome.

No ?

This is a very good point by Alfouine: if you expand your category to include ancestors of the hourglass, and ALL clocks that tell time by transferring material from one chamber to another, then you will expand your universe of possible waymarks, AND you will have less of a possible issue with underprevalence. The category will therefore also be more global :)

Your remarks are relevant, so I will take them into account. I agree to expand the category to clepsydra. I will also keep the name Hourglass to name the category.

Do you have examples, except the hourglass and the clepsydra, for : "ALL clocks that tell time by transferring material from one chamber to another"

Your remarks are relevant, so I will take them into account. I agree to expand the category to clepsydra. I will also keep the name Hourglass to name the category.

Do you have examples, except the hourglass and the clepsydra, for : "ALL clocks that tell time by transferring material from one chamber to another"

I do not have photos at hand, but I know that in science museums some hourglasses/clepsydra transfer oil, alcohol or other liquids.

Do you have any other comments? Perhaps on the fact that I wish to be respected the anonymity of the dead in the cemeteries? Or on the 2 photos requested?

What does this mean, exactly? The dead are departed, and their tombstones are in public places -- I do not think "anonymity" is a concern. RESPECT is CERTAINLY warranted -- ALWAYS. But as general rule I do not think it is inappropriate or rude to take photographs of tombstones and make a waymark from them, as long as the photographs are respectful (no personal trinkets of the photographer placed on the grave, no silly faces, nothing that makes fun of the person or their grave, etc) and the waymark is similarly written in a respectful way.

Dead people or their families who wish anonymity presumably would arrange that themselves by cremating their loved one and scattering the ashes, or foregoing a full tombstone or burying their loved one only under an initial or vague word like "Mom" or "Brother."

The categories "Graves of Unusual Deaths," "Occupational/Hobby Gravestones," "Death Mask Tombstones," "Homemade Tombstones," and "Woodmen of the World Markers/Monuments" are all based on locating interesting tombstones. "Graves of Unusual Deaths" has a restriction that no tombstones may be waymarked in this category until 5 years has passed from the date of death. That is not for anonymity, but respect for the living.

I also think that excluding hourglasses on tombstones would severely restrict your category, and risks underprevalence. Besides: There are so many beautiful and haunting depictions of hourglasses on tombstones, especially from the 16th century and earlier, that it would be a shame not to be able to waymark those.

My 2c.

I think there is no problem with requiring 2 personally taken photographs. I would specify one close-up of the hourglass, and one of the general area to help waymarkers.

Also -- If the hourglass is in a museum, make sure photographs are allowed. I am going to take a photo of a paintinhg with an hourglass in a museum, where non-flash photography is allowed.

Have you created a category yet? I would be interested in being an officer.

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

I preferred that the anonymity of the deceased be respected, because I did not know if we had the right to broadcast photos with names of people. But if legally one has the right to make pictures with names that appear then no problem. I withdraw the sentence on anonymity because in any case it is out of question to remove the hourglasses from cemeteries, no worries.

Just as a point of reference, as far as I know all categories about grave markers require at least one photograph of the grave marker that will include the name of the individual/s. This has never been a concern for me, as it is a requirement.

I am also a contributor with "Find a Grave" Find a Grave

From their website they state they have 158 million grave records. Granted no all of them have photographs of the grave markers, not because they are not allowed, it is simply no has been to the cemetery to take pictures yet.

There are most likely over 100,000 requests from family members wanting a picture of the grave marker. When we travel I look for requests, so hopefully I can fill their request/s.

All requests are from family members that are unable to make a trip to the cemetery, I have filled many for family members from around the world.

If you are unfamiliar with Find a Grave, I would suggest you have a look for yourself, it may add some perspective to your concerns.

I preferred that the anonymity of the deceased be respected, because I did not know if we had the right to broadcast photos with names of people. But if legally one has the right to make pictures with names that appear then no problem. I withdraw the sentence on anonymity because in any case it is out of question to remove the hourglasses from cemeteries, no worries.

In the United States, I have the right to take a photo of anything I can see from any place that I am lawfully allowed to be. Even if the place itself restricts photography on its property, if I can see it from a public place, then I can take a photo of it legally and I can do with that photo what I want: keep it, publish it, draw faces on it -- whatever. :)

The only places I am aware of where photographs of tombstones might not allowed is inside some churches that may restrict or ban photography inside their sanctuaries where deceased persons are entombed out of respect (or because they want to sell their glossy photo book). Westminster Abbey, The Cathedral of St Paul in London, The Chapel of St George at Windsor Castle, and The Chapel Royal of St. Peter ad Vincula at the Tower of London are a few examples that come to mind.

I would put this in the category:

"Please be considerate when taking photographs of hourglasses in cemeteries or ossuaries, by making sure photography is allowed at the site before you take your photos. Any waymarks with photos taken in violation of the particular site's restrictions will be deleted by category officers."

I would put this in the category:

"Please be considerate when taking photographs of hourglasses in cemeteries or ossuaries, by making sure photography is allowed at the site before you take your photos. Any waymarks with photos taken in violation of the particular site's restrictions will be deleted by category officers."

Perfect for me thank you !

Thank you for all your comments ! I now propose the category "Hourglass" and I wait for your returns :) :

All Categories > Technology > Fabrication

Description:

The purpose of this category is to discover the hourglasses throughout the world, whether real hourglasses, sculptures, paintings or works of art.

Expanded Description:

Its origin is not clear, apparently well before the Middle Ages, but for many centuries it is used to measure time and this until today. He played a very important role in the navy. Stunning old hourglasses are visible in museums, but they are also often depicted on paintings, sculptures and works of art. Frequent in cemeteries, it is often represented by a winged hourglass.

sans_t11.jpg

Personal photos

What is included in this category :

Hourglass, Clepsydra and all clocks that tell time by transferring matérial from one chamber to another, are included in this category

- Only the hourglasses or their representations displayed in public places and permanently are accepted !

- Real or fake hourglass (Museum or decor for example),

- Representation on a painting, sculpture, cemetery or building...

- Works of art ,

- Shop Sign,

- Other (They will be validated on a case-by-case basis by the group).

What we are NOT looking for :

- Hourglass for sale,

- hourglass in temporary exhibition,

- digital hourglass, electronic, virtual

- personal hourglass or collection

Instructions for Posting a Hourglass Waymark:

Warning :

In the case of a museum where several hourglasses are present, only one waymark will be allowed for the entire museum. On the other hand if in this same museum there is also a painting and a sculpture with an hourglass then 3 different waymarks are possible, 1 for each type.

TITLE REQUIREMENT

Location - City, Country (or States in USA)

LONG DESCRIPTION

Any information about the hourglass or its representation (Time of manufacture, use, information) would be appreciated.

LANGUAGE NOTE

We encourage bilingual and multilingual waymarks, but one of the languages must be English (as lingua franca).

Put the coordinates of the easiest place to see the hourglass or Entrance of the museum.

PICTURES

Required: At least one original quality photo taken by you of the entire hourglass. Internet pictures and Google street view will not be accepted.

Additional photos highlighting particular details of the hourglass, or providing a more distant view of the hourglass and its surrounding area will be greatly encouraged.

Warning :

- If you took a picture in a museum or other private place, make sure you have his permission before publishing this picture!

- Please be considerate when taking photographs of hourglasses in cemeteries or ossuaries, by making sure photography is allowed at the site before you take your photos.

Any waymarks with photos taken in violation of the particular site's restrictions will be deleted by category officers.

Instructions for Visiting a Waymark in this Category:

To log a visit to an hourglass Waymark, provide proof of your physical visit - no virtual visits please. Proof can be in the form of an original photo that you have taken of the hourglass, or a description of the hourglass and of your visit. Any additional information that you can provide about the hourglass is always welcome.

Category Settings:

Waymarks can be added to this category

New waymarks of this category are reviewed by the category group prior to being published

Category is not visible in the directory

Variables: Dropdown list

What type of hourglass is it? (Real hourglass, copy, Painting, Sculpture, Work of Art, Other)

Regarding this:

Warning:

(1) In the case of a museum where several hourglasses are present, only one waymark will be allowed for the entire museum. (2) On the other hand if in this same museum there is also a painting and a sculpture with an hourglass then 3 different waymarks are possible, 1 for each type."

Sentence (1) and sentence (2) contradict each other.

I recommend you EITHER (1) allow each hourglass in a museum to be waymarked separately, OR (2) you allow only 1 waymark for an entire museum.

I recommend waymark coordinates be taken at the entrance to the museum, with specific information as to where the hourglass is located within the museum. (Many GPS units do not work in the museum buildings.) Add 2 variables:

(1) Is this hourglass accessible 24/7? (Yes/No is fine)

(2) If the hourglass is not accessible 24/7, open hours for the location of the hourglass: (use a text box so that different daily hours can be posted)

Regarding this:

"What type of hourglass is it? (Real hourglass, copy, Painting, Sculpture, Work of Art, Other)"

I think that if the hourglass exists in the world it is real -- even if in a painting. If you want a drop down list, I think the list needs to be as follows:

Hourglass

Clepsydra

Sculpture

Tombstone

Painting

Other (specify in Long Description)

The first issues are not contradictory. If the museum has more than one hourglass (that is, actual timepieces), there will be only one waymark. If the museum has one hourglass timepiece, one painting of an hourglass and one sculpture of an hourglass; there could be three waymarks.

Edited by elyob

The first issues are not contradictory. If the museum has more than one hourglass (that is, actual timepieces), there will be only one waymark. If the museum has one hourglass timepiece, one painting of an hourglass and one sculpture of an hourglass; there could be three waymarks.

Thank you Elyob, that's exactly what I meant, but I may not have very well formulated it ...

Regarding this:

Warning:

(1) In the case of a museum where several hourglasses are present, only one waymark will be allowed for the entire museum. (2) On the other hand if in this same museum there is also a painting and a sculpture with an hourglass then 3 different waymarks are possible, 1 for each type."

I recommend you EITHER (1) allow each hourglass in a museum to be waymarked separately, OR (2) you allow only 1 waymark for an entire museum.

Elyob explained well what I meant. Paintings, sculpture, real object are so different that everyone deserves a waymark in my opinion. However, this type of situation will be very exceptional I think .

I recommend waymark coordinates be taken at the entrance to the museum, with specific information as to where the hourglass is located within the museum. (Many GPS units do not work in the museum buildings.) Add 2 variables:

(2) If the hourglass is not accessible 24/7, open hours for the location of the hourglass: (use a text box so that different daily hours can be posted)

I agree

Regarding this:

"What type of hourglass is it? (Real hourglass, copy, Painting, Sculpture, Work of Art, Other)"

I think that if the hourglass exists in the world it is real -- even if in a painting.

Yes I have not been able to better formulate my thought to speak about the hourglass object;) If you want a drop down list, I think the list needs to be as follows:

Hourglass

Clepsydra

Sculpture

Relief (Many are represented on facades of buildings)

Tombstone

Painting

Thank you for all these very pertinent remarks!

I know nothing about art except what I learn to keep Waymarking. Isn't an hourglass on a tombstone the same as an hourglass sculpture?

No, because to my mind a sculpture is in 3-D. An hourglass on a tombstone could be a relief, or an etching. :)

That's right, so I'll add tombstone and relief to the list ;)

Warning:

(1) In the case of a museum where several hourglasses are present, only one waymark will be allowed for the entire museum. (2) On the other hand if in this same museum there is also a painting and a sculpture with an hourglass then 3 different waymarks are possible, 1 for each type."[/i]

I think that if the hourglass exists in the world it is real -- even if in a painting.

I feel you're confusing real with REAL. An "hourglass" is a REAL "hourglass" and a "representation of an hourglass" is a REAL "representation of an hourglass". It is not, however, a REAL hourglass, not even a real hourglass. The phraseology employed by Gatinaise is perfectly acceptable to me.

An hourglass in a painting or encapsulated within a sculpture is simply a representation of a real object, not the object itself, therefore it cannot be a REAL hourglass. The only thing that exists in these cases is the paint, the stone - the medium, as it were. The hourglass within exists only to the extent that we perceive it to be an hourglass.

Keith

I will add the false hourglasses in the drop-down list. They are sometimes used in decorative elements like here for example (El Relojero de la calle de la Sal - Mirador Madrid)

relojero+calle+sal.jpg

Why isn't this a REAL hourglass? If you think it is a FALSE because it is only for decoration, then is that true for all the other hourglasses in paintings, on tombstones?

I think the whole REAL variable is unnecessary. It will be obvious from the photos if the hourglass is real or false, so why make a tick box?

I look at this and I see a real hourglass. Confusing. I recommend dropping it as a variable. Anything like this that creates confusion will create problems in peer review.

Why isn't this a REAL hourglass? If you think it is a FALSE because it is only for decoration, then is that true for all the other hourglasses in paintings, on tombstones?

I think the whole REAL variable is unnecessary. It will be obvious from the photos if the hourglass is real or false, so why make a tick box?

I look at this and I see a real hourglass. Confusing. I recommend dropping it as a variable. Anything like this that creates confusion will create problems in peer review.

The reason the Real vs False issue was initially broached by Gatinaise was simply to create a scenario with which to explain his feeling that in a situation in which both REAL hourglasses and representations of REAL hourglasses are present, they may be waymarked separately and individually. That's all.

However, it is conceivable that, using the photo above as an example: Let's say that there were two hourglasses in the photo, the one already in the photo and another on the desk in front of the figure wearing glasses. A waymarker might argue that the one on the wall was NOT a real hourglass but the one on the desk IS. What is the reviewer to do? Their decision may depend entirely on what they had for breakfast that morning. Sensibility would, in all likelihood, lead the reviewer to consider both to be REAL hourglasses, as neither appears to be a representation of an hourglass, but does appear to be a REAL hourglass.

Every new category will eventually encounter such dilemmas - the unforeseen scenario or circumstance. I'm in favour of letting him work it out. Odds are he'll eventually come upon a fair and equitable solution.

BTW, a REAL hourglass used for decoration remains a REAL hourglass. It can't be anything else since it was once a REAL hourglass and has not been physically altered. Therefore it remains a REAL hourglass. All representations of REAL hourglasses may be viewed in the same manner. If they remain physically unaltered, they remain whatever they were originally, ie a representation of a REAL hourglass.

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters

So, if I summarize here the last changes I will apply :

"waymark coordinates be taken at the entrance to the museum, with specific information as to where the hourglass is located within the museum. (Many GPS units do not work in the museum buildings.) Add 2 variables:

(2) If the hourglass is not accessible 24/7, open hours for the location of the hourglass: (use a text box so that different daily hours can be posted)"

And for the drop-down menu of type :

Hourglass (real or false) It's simpler like that not?

Clepsydra

Sculpture

Relief

Tombstone

Painting

Hourglass (real or false) It's simpler like that not?

Clepsydra

Sculpture

Relief

Tombstone

Painting

Do not use <<real of false>> after Hourglass.

Hourglass (representation or not) is understood.

So, if I summarize here the last changes I will apply :

"waymark coordinates be taken at the entrance to the museum, with specific information as to where the hourglass is located within the museum. (Many GPS units do not work in the museum buildings.) Add 2 variables:

(2) If the hourglass is not accessible 24/7, open hours for the location of the hourglass: (use a text box so that different daily hours can be posted)"

Hourglass (real or false) It's simpler like that not? No. just Hourglass is best.

Clepsydra

Sculpture

Relief

Tombstone

Painting

G - before you post the category for peer review, please post the category description here and let us look it over for you. Well check for typos, phrasing etc - anything that can be an issue in peer review :)

Description:

The purpose of this category is to discover the hourglasses throughout the world, whether real hourglasses, sculptures, paintings or works of art.

Expanded Description:

Its origin is not clear, apparently well before the Middle Ages, but for many centuries it is used to measure time and this until today. He played a very important role in the navy. Stunning old hourglasses are visible in museums, but they are also often depicted on paintings, sculptures and works of art. Frequent in cemeteries, it is often represented by a winged hourglass.

sans_t10.jpg

Gatinaise personal photos

What is included in this category :

Hourglass, Clepsydra and all clocks that tell time by transferring matérial from one chamber to another, are included in this category

- Only the hourglasses or their representations displayed in public places and permanently are accepted !

- Real or fake hourglass (Museum or decor for example),

- Representation on a painting, sculpture, cemetery or building...

- Works of art ,

- Shop Sign,

- Other (They will be validated on a case-by-case basis by the group).

What we are NOT looking for :

- Hourglass for sale,

- hourglass in temporary exhibition,

- digital hourglass, electronic, virtual

- personal hourglass or collection

Warning :

In the case of a museum where several hourglasses are present, only one waymark will be allowed for the entire museum. On the other hand if in this same museum there is also a painting and a sculpture with an hourglass then 3 different waymarks are possible, 1 for each type (hourglass, painting, sculpture).

TITLE REQUIREMENT

Location - City, Country (or States in USA)

LONG DESCRIPTION

Any information about the hourglass or its representation (Time of manufacture, use, information) would be appreciated. If he is in a museum, add specific information as to where the hourglass is located within the museum.

LANGUAGE NOTE

We encourage bilingual and multilingual waymarks, but one of the languages must be English (as lingua franca).

Put the coordinates of the easiest place to see the hourglass or entrance of the museum.

PICTURES

Required: At least one original quality photo taken by you of the entire hourglass. Internet pictures and Google street view will not be accepted.

Additional photos highlighting particular details of the hourglass, or providing a more distant view of the hourglass and its surrounding area will be greatly encouraged.

Warning :

- If you took a picture in a museum or other private place, make sure you have his permission before publishing this picture!

- Please be considerate when taking photographs of hourglasses in cemeteries or ossuaries, by making sure photography is allowed at the site before you take your photos.

Any waymarks with photos taken in violation of the particular site's restrictions will be deleted by category officers.

To log a visit to an hourglass Waymark, provide proof of your physical visit - no virtual visits please. Proof can be in the form of an original photo that you have taken of the hourglass, or a description of the hourglass and of your visit. Any additional information that you can provide about the hourglass is always welcome.

Any visit that does not respond to its requests will be deleted.

Category Settings:

New waymarks of this category are reviewed by the category group prior to being published

Variables:

What type of hourglass is it?

Hourglass

Clepsydra

Painting

Sculpture

Work of Art

Tombstone

Relief

Other

Is this hourglass accessible 24/7? Yes/No/don't know

If the hourglass is not accessible 24/7, open hours for the location of the hourglass

Edited by Gatinaise

You had some awkward English phrasing and I made a few other changes so the category description will read better. I aoso added a requirement to TWO photos -- one close up and the other a general area photo.

Here's my edit:

Short Description:

This category is seeking hourglasses and clepsydras around the world, anywhere they may be found and visited. We will accept physical hourglasses, sculptures of hourglasses, paintings or works of art featuring hourglasses -- anything permanently at a particular location, and on public display.

Expanded Description:

The origin of the hourglass is not clear, but these simple yet beautiful time-keepers were first used around 300 AD. Hourglasses have been used to measure time ever since.

Stunning examples of hourglasses are on display in museums throughout the world. Hourglasses allowed the navies of the medieval world to navigate the seas. In homes, churches, palaces, and businesses hourglasses told time, and also created a need to keep track of time - imposing order and regularity to recurring events such as church services, work breaks, and the like. Hourglasses, with their simple beauty, low cost, reliability, and elegant lines, were never fully replaced by mechanical clocks. Even in the 21st century, many kitchens will have a small hourglass to use as an egg timer.

Beginning in the 15th century, hourglasses were frequently included in paintings, where they became a symbol for the inevitable march of time. Therefore, hourglasses are also powerful symbols of the fleeting nature of life. Hauntingly evocative examples of hourglasses can be found in cemeteries and funerary art around the world, some with wings attached for extra symbolism.

sans_t10.jpg

Gatinaise personal photos

We will accept in this category:

- Publicly-accessible Hourglasses, Clepsydra and Clocks that tell time by transferring matérial from one chamber to another.

- Representations of hourglasses in paintings, sculptures, building pediments, on shop signs, in cemeteries -- if it's an hourglass, we want to see it!

We will NOT accept:

- Hourglasses for sale in shops

- Hourglasses in temporary museum exhibitions

- Digital hourglasses which tells time by a digital or electronic display

- Personal hourglasses in a collection

Please be advised:

As a general rule, if several hourglasses are present they should all be waymarked together.

The exception to this is they are different KINDS of hourglasses (as in a painting and a sculpture, for example), then each can be waymarked separately.

Examples:

An hourglass and a clepsydra exhibited together -- these should be split into 2 waymarks

An hourglass, a painting of an hourglass, and a sculpture of an hourglass at a museum -- these should be 3 waymarks (one for each type)

12 hourglasses in an exhibit - these should be combined into a single waymark

Hourglasses on tombstones -- these should be waymarked separately, if the tombstones are for different people

Hourglasses on medallions inset into a cemetery fence -- one waymark for the fence.

If you have a question about whether you should combine the hourglasses you find, the officers will be happy to help you.

TITLE REQUIREMENT

Location of the Hourglass - City, Province/US State, Country

LONG DESCRIPTION

In your long description, please tell us everything you can about the hourglass and its location. If it's depicted in a work of art, give the artist's name and the name of the work.

Any other information about the hourglass or its representation (date of manufacture, use, material inside, other interesting information) would be appreciated. If the hourglass is in a museum, please add specific information as to where the hourglass is located within the museum so that others may find it.

If you reproduce information an article or website about the hourglass, cite your source and use quotation marks "" to indicate what you used.

LANGUAGE NOTE

We encourage and accept bilingual and multilingual waymarks, but one of the waymark's languages must be English (as lingua franca).

Please use the coordinates nearest the hourglass, if it is outside. If it is inside, please place the coordinates at the entrance to where the hourglass may be found.

PICTURES

Required: Two original quality photos taken by you. One should be a close-up of the hourglass, and the other should be a wider view of the area around the hourglass. Pictures found on the Internet and photos taken from Google street view will not be accepted.

Additional photos highlighting particular details of the hourglass, or providing a more distant view of the hourglass and its surrounding area will be greatly appreciated as a finding aid for other waymarkers.

IMPORTANT:

- Before taking photos in a museum or other private place, please make sure photography is allowed before you create your waymark.

- If taking photos inside a church, be respectful of any worshipers who may be there and be sure photography is allowed.

- Be considerate when taking photographs of hourglasses in cemeteries or ossuaries. Make sure photography is allowed in the cemetery before you take your photos, and be respectful of the deceased by not placing any personal objects on the tombstones, etc.

Any waymarks with photos taken in violation of the local restrictions at the site will be deleted by category officers.

You must provide proof of your visit by uploading a personally-obtained photo - no virtual visits please. "Armchair" visits will be deleted.

If you can provide additional information about the hourglass, this will be welcome.

Category Settings:

Variables:

What type of hourglass is it?

Hourglass

Clepsydra

Painting

Sculpture

Work of Art

Tombstone

Relief

Other

Is this hourglass accessible 24/7? Yes/No/don't know

If the hourglass is not accessible 24/7, open hours for the location of the hourglass

I do not think necessary to have two photos to be able to post a painting that contains an hourglass. The 2D representation does not justify a second angle. Moreover, I do not think that a person who photographed in a museum (without flash of course ;) ) a painting with an hourglass before the creation of this category will have thought of making a picture of the wall in broad plan or the hourglass in close-up. It would be a shame to deprive the category of a beautiful waymark for a second missing picture.

This is why I personally prefer the 1st version of Gâtinaise:

"Required: At least one original quality photo taken by you of the entire hourglass. Internet pictures and Google street view will not be accepted.

Additional photos highlighting particular details of the hourglass, or providing a more distant view of the hourglass and its surrounding area will be greatly encouraged."

99% of the posters will join at least 2 photos by habit but this leaves a door open for exceptional cases.

Edited by Chickilim

I do not think necessary to have two photos to be able to post a painting that contains an hourglass. The 2D representation does not justify a second angle. Moreover, I do not think that a person who photographed in a museum (without flash of course ;) ) a painting with an hourglass before the creation of this category will have thought of making a picture of the wall in broad plan or the hourglass in close-up. It would be a shame to deprive the category of a beautiful waymark for a second missing picture.

This is why I personally prefer the 1st version of Gâtinaise:

"Required: At least one original quality photo taken by you of the entire hourglass. Internet pictures and Google street view will not be accepted.

Additional photos highlighting particular details of the hourglass, or providing a more distant view of the hourglass and its surrounding area will be greatly encouraged."

99% of the posters will join at least 2 photos by habit but this leaves a door open for exceptional cases.

I like the 2nd photo requirement just to help visitors find the waymark - I usually find the area photo the most helpful for these searches :)

And for me personally as a reviewer, a 2nd photo of an hourglass in a painting could be of the exterior of the museum, or the sign at the specific museum gallery. The 2nd photo is a finding aid - the first photo is proof of the hourglass.

But this is up to Gatinaise. If he wants waymarks with 1 photo, he can make the 2nd photo a request, NOT a requirement.

No worries :)

Although well-intentioned, I feel this category is too narrowly focused on one particular subject matter as a 'symbol'. There are a myriad of other symbolic representations around the world that can be found as representing different meanings, much like the hourglass represents the passage of time. For example, a dove represents peace. A skull represents death. The yin and yang symbol represents Taoism. I feel a much broader/inclusive category would have been wiser, titled something like 'Symbolic Representations Around the World'. The problem with Waymarking is we get too focused on one idea and often forget the 'big picture' and then we end up with too many categories that could have fallen under one broad category idea.

Other symbols around the world:

Egyptian symbols (Staff of Osiris)

Pine cone (Greek and Roman religios symbol for everlasting or eternal life)

Serpent (symbol for fertility, good vs. evil, etc.)

Rod of Asclepius (associated with healing or medicine)

I could go on and list more symbols but I think you all get my point. Should I go ahead and create categories for each one of these symbols I see in sculptures, paintings, tombstones and other permanent places in my travels?

:blink:

Although well-intentioned, I feel this category is too narrowly focused on one particular subject matter as a 'symbol'. There are a myriad of other symbolic representations around the world that can be found as representing different meanings, much like the hourglass represents the passage of time. For example, a dove represents peace. A skull represents death. The yin and yang symbol represents Taoism. I feel a much broader/inclusive category would have been wiser, titled something like 'Symbolic Representations Around the World'. The problem with Waymarking is we get too focused on one idea and often forget the 'big picture' and then we end up with too many categories that could have fallen under one broad category idea.

Other symbols around the world:

Egyptian symbols (Staff of Osiris)

Pine cone (Greek and Roman religios symbol for everlasting or eternal life)

Serpent (symbol for fertility, good vs. evil, etc.)

Rod of Asclepius (associated with healing or medicine)

I could go on and list more symbols but I think you all get my point. Should I go ahead and create categories for each one of these symbols I see in sculptures, paintings, tombstones and other permanent places in my travels?

:blink:

Overprevalent and redundant -- too big of a big picture IMO, but if you want to try such a category go for it.

Any church with a dove window or representation of a dove, or fire (symbol of the Holy Spirit) or wine (blood of Christ), any statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary with a lily (symbol of purity) -- any pine cone motif anywhere -- any tombstone with a closed book (symbolizing end of life) or truncated tree branches (symbolizing life cut short) or anything with a skull (symbolizing death), or an owl (symbol of learning or wisdom) or anything that can be a symbol of something else. Where would it all end, Beav?

I think a good category hits that sweet spot of being prevalent without being overprevalent, and I am on record as preferring categories with specific defined subjects. I especially like the ones that are a challenge to find. I was thrilled when I found something to waymark in Soroptomist and FOE categories for example. Very good, tailored categories, well-defined and not over or under prevalent :)