creating a GPX of caches for an event

cnlson

I am placing caches for an event and I'm wondering how exactly does one get a GPX created to load on everyone's various devices at the beginning of the event.

Bookmarking is not allowed prior to publishing

attempting to download a GPX from an individual cache does not do anything

trying to download a LOC file gets a smart alecky <![CDATA[Thanks for Playing by Nice Try]]></name>

This event will have at least 30 caches of mine, and hopefully up to 200 caches (depends on others diligence in placing)

so how exactly are we to create a GPX for the event so we can load peoples GPS's?

I talked to the reviewer and apparently they used to be able to do it but that option no longer exists. So what is the option?

Until the caches are published you can not create a .GPX file

as well as you can not create a bookmark of caches until they are published.

Having hosted multiple events including 4 MEGA's, the way we do it is using an Excel sheet.

We plan ahead and everyone who is hiding caches forwards the information (GC code, Lat/Long etc) to 1 person who creates the sheet, copies it and distributes at the event.

We also have a person responsible for creating the bookmark lists when the caches get published.

As for the .GPX files, they can be created once the bookmark lists are done. Just remember posting .GPX files anywhere for others to download I believe is against the rules.

Loading .GPX files on a few GPS's, I think that's OK

Our annual weekend usually has over 100 caches published. We ask the reviewer to publish them at a certain time (Thursday night, or Friday morning) so people can load them, and plan routes before the actual event Friday night. We also put text "this has been placed for XYZ event, please do not find until ABC time" never had a problem doing it this way.

Until the caches are published you can not create a .GPX file

as well as you can not create a bookmark of caches until they are published.

Having hosted multiple events including 4 MEGA's, the way we do it is using an Excel sheet.

We plan ahead and everyone who is hiding caches forwards the information (GC code, Lat/Long etc) to 1 person who creates the sheet, copies it and distributes at the event.

We also have a person responsible for creating the bookmark lists when the caches get published.

As for the .GPX files, they can be created once the bookmark lists are done. Just remember posting .GPX files anywhere for others to download I believe is against the rules.

Loading .GPX files on a few GPS's, I think that's OK

Sorry this is not a Geocaching.com event. Just a school event. These are my own caches I am creating for selected people. They can not be published because they are on school property.

Are you saying that the OP is talking about the same private caches that you are in this thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=339578

B.

I'm thinking this person is has threads mixed up. J6family started a thread with a similar title.

Sorry this is not a Geocaching.com event. Just a school event. These are my own caches I am creating for selected people. They can not be published because they are on school property.

Make waypoints, export therm as gpx , email to participants. If course you won't have the geocaching seal of approval. But it will make running the event a lot easier

this is not applicable to my question.

Make waypoints, export therm as gpx , email to participants. If course you won't have the geocaching seal of approval. But it will make running the event a lot easier

as long as the gpx is created by me I can share it all i want, correct? only GPX's created by geocaching.com, like pq's do they not want shared. mainly, i believe because they want to limit that to premium members.

as long as the gpx is created by me I can share it all i want, correct? only GPX's created by geocaching.com, like pq's do they not want shared.

You can publish the coords of your caches as you like.

If you want a simple way to make your own GPX files, "EasyGPS" (for Windows) is one way. And it's free. The tricky part will be how to get the GPX files from your computer, onto a group of peoples' various GPSrs.

Often at Events, the new caches are all on one printed sheet, handed out at some point. It's a list of the GC Numbers, cache names, coordinates, short descriptions, and hints. People type the coords, and go. Once the caches are activated, finders may log them on Geocaching.com.

as long as the gpx is created by me I can share it all i want, correct?

Yes, you can create gpx files in your own software, and do anything you want those, as opposed to redistributing a gpx file downloaded from Geocaching.com.

There's both free and $ software that will do this.

(Agreeing with others, with the exception of caches that may be part of event games, just request that they publish before the event starts. Even day a couple of days early, so the FTF hounds can go do their thing, and then perhaps actually attend the event. )

as long as the gpx is created by me I can share it all i want, correct? only GPX's created by geocaching.com, like pq's do they not want shared. mainly, i believe because they want to limit that to premium members.

i bet you a nickel there is a rule that covers what you're asking about... but could care less. if people ask about doing more/similar things, point them to gc'ing. if they can figure out how to find a waypoint they'll probably be fine with figuring out the ins/outs of caching.

There's both free and $ software that will do this.

I'd appreciate if you would please expand on this? I am not apparently practicing good google-fu and have been unable to find software that will package the data from a cache (name, gc, cords, text, hint) into a gpx

(Agreeing with others, with the exception of caches that may be part of event games, just request that they publish before the event starts. Even day a couple of days early, so the FTF hounds can go do their thing, and then perhaps actually attend the event. )

Part of the fun of an event is the blinding light of a blank log and the race to the next cache.

There was an event I attended and a couple of days before the event our 50 state star was published. I ended up going down early and getting 40 or so of the ftf's on the star and achieved a slight pariah status at the event.

Since then I have been a bit circumspect and for this event I'm trying to ensure a parity in opportunity.

Additionally, with up to 200 caches It would take most of the day for some cachers to manually type in the cords, every larger event (geocaching geoart, Yankton annual events, Watertown events) I've attended has had a GPX and I've heard that in the past the reviewer was able to create these but they no longer have that option, which is why i'm searching out the alternatives. For those who use phones, loading newly published caches on the fly isn't that hard but for everyone who uses a GPS not much "on the fly" that you can actually do.

i bet you a nickel there is a rule that covers what you're asking about...

Nope. It's your cache, and you can distribute information about your cache in any form you wish. The only restriction is that you can't share the GPX files generated by this listing site. If you want to post the coordinates of your caches on Facebook so people who don't have a Geocaching.com account can find them, you can go right ahead. It's your cache.

I'd appreciate if you would please expand on this? I am not apparently practicing good google-fu and have been unable to find software that will package the data from a cache (name, gc, cords, text, hint) into a gpx

You might try GSAK (not free but you can evaluate it for a while until the nagscreen on startup is taking too long to disappear).

You can enter all cache info as if it were a listing (in fact, in split screen mode you see a real listing). If you have all caches in a database and take a laptop to the event you can export all caches in one go to people with a GPS. Getting the cachedata to a phone will depend on the phones used but with a simple fileserver or locally hosted webpage with link + WiFi hotspot you can allow people to download the GPX via wireless.

If people bring an USB stick you can arrange loading the file to the stick so people can arrange their own method to get data to their phone/GPS.

You might try GSAK (not free but you can evaluate it for a while until the nagscreen on startup is taking too long to disappear).

You can enter all cache info as if it were a listing (in fact, in split screen mode you see a real listing). If you have all caches in a database and take a laptop to the event you can export all caches in one go to people with a GPS. Getting the cachedata to a phone will depend on the phones used but with a simple fileserver or locally hosted webpage with link + WiFi hotspot you can allow people to download the GPX via wireless.

If people bring an USB stick you can arrange loading the file to the stick so people can arrange their own method to get data to their phone/GPS.

I have GSAK, I will try with that. To me it is crazy that there is not a way to do this in a decent fashion built into GC.com.

The events I have attended in the past have all had multiple laptops with gsak or easyGPS to load up everyones gps. for my phone I just get them to email me the file and i can import it right into the caching app i use.

I've also had it dropboxed for download at some events.

the thought of entering paper cords to me would kill the fun of the event.

i bet you a nickel there is a rule that covers what you're asking about...

Nope. It's your cache, and you can distribute information about your cache in any form you wish. The only restriction is that you can't share the GPX files generated by this listing site. If you want to post the coordinates of your caches on Facebook so people who don't have a Geocaching.com account can find them, you can go right ahead. It's your cache.

yuppers, using the site was what I was referring to

I have GSAK, I will try with that. To me it is crazy that there is not a way to do this in a decent fashion built into GC.com.

The events I have attended in the past have all had multiple laptops with gsak or easyGPS to load up everyones gps. for my phone I just get them to email me the file and i can import it right into the caching app i use.

I was going to suggest EasyGPS. Most (all?) waypoint managers like EasyGPS, GSAK, or Basecamp will allow you to *receive* waypoints from a GPS. If you have (or can get access to) a handheld GPS you can visit all the locations prior to the event, capture the coordinates for each cache, give each a name, then upload the waypoints into a waypoint manager. Then you can just export the results as a GPX file, provide a laptop at the event for downloading the GPX or copy it to Dropbox.

I was going to suggest EasyGPS. Most (all?) waypoint managers like EasyGPS, GSAK, or Basecamp will allow you to *receive* waypoints from a GPS. If you have (or can get access to) a handheld GPS you can visit all the locations prior to the event, capture the coordinates for each cache, give each a name, then upload the waypoints into a waypoint manager. Then you can just export the results as a GPX file, provide a laptop at the event for downloading the GPX or copy it to Dropbox.

a smartphone will work fine, the GPS averaging applications will export to gpx waypoints, that you can then upload to drop box, mega, drive, one, out whoever's hosting you like. or, just open reach with a mapping application and add hints/notes/picture, video, audio attachments as needed.

it's very easy to create waypoints for this kind of thing

a smartphone will work fine, the GPS averaging applications will export to gpx waypoints, that you can then upload to drop box, mega, drive, one, out whoever's hosting you like. or, just open reach with a mapping application and add hints/notes/picture, video, audio attachments as needed.

Could you be more specific? Which GPS averaging application are you talking about? Will any of them allow you to capture multiple waypoints and save it as a single GPX file which contains all of the waypoints? Which mapping application are you talking about?

With a handheld GPS one can mark as many waypoints as needed (the OP mentioned up to 230 existing or temporary caches). Then just plug it into a computer running Basecamp (which runs both on a Mac and PC) and click on the up arrow above "Device Transfer" and all of them will be uploaded to the waypoint managers with one click.

If you must save each waypoint as an individual gpx file the gpxbabel application (which also runs on a PC or Mac) can be used to merge them into one GPX file.

Could you be more specific? Which GPS averaging application are you talking about? Will any of them allow you to capture multiple waypoints and save it as a single GPX file which contains all of the waypoints? Which mapping application are you talking about?

With a handheld GPS one can mark as many waypoints as needed (the OP mentioned up to 230 existing or temporary caches). Then just plug it into a computer running Basecamp (which runs both on a Mac and PC) and click on the up arrow above "Device Transfer" and all of them will be uploaded to the waypoint managers with one click.

If you must save each waypoint as an individual gpx file the gpxbabel application (which also runs on a PC or Mac) can be used to merge them into one GPX file.

GPS averaging, by David Varva allows for editing the point to other mapping programs. normally i use locus for maps since it handles so much, offline. all the average waypoints can then have descriptive notes included with them, and exported as one gpx, kmz/kml, CSV, tcx, dxf, or ov2. there are also options to upload directly to gypsies, Everytrail, Google drive, similar hosting services.

mapping a couple hundred files wouldn't take long, assuming they aren't miles apart. averaging usually takes a minute or less. I would record an audio note our picture for each one so that adding a good description would be easier.

that could happen at a tablet, PC, phone or anything that has a decent keyboard.