How bold can one be?!?!

How would you deal with a cacher who goes to a cache you've disabled, places his own container and marks it found? Then notifies you of what he's done and says "Hope that's OK"?

Depends on the circumstances. This actually happened to one of my caches today (except that I hadn't disabled it because I didn't know it was in trouble). A cacher found the container damaged and transferred the log to a new container and marked it found. (No "Hope that's OK" either.) Since they did find my original container and sign my original log, I agree that they did find it and will let their log stand. If my original container and log had been nowhere to be found, then I would not have.

I'd delete the Find and send email to the logger explaining that the cache is currently sitting on my desk (or wherever), so he/she could not possibly have found it. And I'd remove the throwdown the next time I was at the cache site, posting an OM log explaining what I had done.

How would you deal with a cacher who goes to a cache you've disabled, places his own container and marks it found? Then notifies you of what he's done and says "Hope that's OK"?

The container they placed and logged is what's considered a "throwdown". There's a Help Center article on them here. Throwdowns are very much discouraged, and you're well within your rights to delete the cacher's log.

BTW, is the cache in question "Love, Learn & Live the Arts"? If so, it's been disabled for a very long time (coming up on 9 months). At the very least, you should post a note on there explaining your plans for fixing up the cache (e.g. if you're waiting for the weather to improve, sourcing a new container, etc.). If you don't, you run the risk of a reviewer coming along and taking action on what appears at-a-glance to be an unmaintained cache, or a busy-body cacher trying to "help" you.

The container they placed and logged is what's considered a "throwdown". There's a Help Center article on them here. Throwdowns are very much discouraged, and you're well within your rights to delete the cacher's log.

BTW, is the cache in question "Love, Learn & Live the Arts"? If so, it's been disabled for a very long time (coming up on 9 months). At the very least, you should post a note on there explaining your plans for fixing up the cache (e.g. if you're waiting for the weather to improve, sourcing a new container, etc.). If you don't, you run the risk of a reviewer coming along and taking action on what appears at-a-glance to be an unmaintained cache, or a busy-body cacher trying to "help" you.

No, it didn't happen to my cache, but my husband's. He's actually had the same cacher offer to 'fix' missing caches, when they aren't actually missing, said cacher just hasn't found them. This cacher has over 8000 finds and I'm starting to wonder how many he's actually found.

You're right about Love... though. I need to replace the container this week.

Wow. Now I understand why the other person was trying to help out. :blink:

Any of the local volunteer reviewers here in Virginia/Tennessee would have already posted a reviewer note on a cache like that, but winter only lasts 3-4 months here. B)

Good point. I wonder what circumstances would allow a cache to be disabled for 9 months? In this case would the finder have been justified in posting a needs archived?

Good point. I wonder what circumstances would allow a cache to be disabled for 9 months? In this case would the finder have been justified in posting a needs archived?

It was disabled just before the snow came and we had snow last week. For 6 months it was under at least 4 feet of snow. I know, because many mornings I had to shovel my way into work.

It was disabled just before the snow came and we had snow last week. For 6 months it was under at least 4 feet of snow. I know, because many mornings I had to shovel my way into work.

This is very common for those of us who live in cold climates. Additionally, Canadian reviewers do seem to keep tabs on disabled caches.

There is absolutely no need for cachers to post NA over a cache that is seasonally disabled, particularly when the seasonal conditions are still active.

just full him/her in to your preferences. it wouldn't hurt to have a dialogue. :)

There are lots of construction projects that could easily take more than 9 months to complete. As long as the CO keeps their reviewer informed about the nature of the cache and why it's disabled for a long time it should be okay. Last week a pretty unique wood sculpture (constructed out of a large tree) was put up just outside of where I work. I thought it would be a interesting spot for a cache. On Monday morning this week fences were put up surrounding the sculpture and a much larger area to keep people out of a construction zone. The construction project is scheduled to be completed Fall of 2017.

There are lots of construction projects that could easily take more than 9 months to complete. As long as the CO keeps their reviewer informed about the nature of the cache and why it's disabled for a long time it should be okay. Last week a pretty unique wood sculpture (constructed out of a large tree) was put up just outside of where I work. I thought it would be a interesting spot for a cache. On Monday morning this week fences were put up surrounding the sculpture and a much larger area to keep people out of a construction zone. The construction project is scheduled to be completed Fall of 2017.
Yep. I had a cache disabled for several months due to a construction project that blocked access. And then the construction project got delayed. And then the construction project got delayed again. And then the fences finally came down, but they had changed something that I had been told would not change, and I needed a few weeks to rework the cache's camouflage.

I've run into this when out caching with my GPSr because I'm not connected 'live' to the database.

Sometimes, I find myself caching in an area for which I've previously downloaded caches. Maybe this morning I downloaded more, but the ones I don't include in the newest download still have the old data.

If a cache has been disabled or archived, it'll still show on my device.

It's also a problem if I don't mark a 'found' cache as 'FOUND' on the GPSr if I wasn't using it that day. An occasional 'MYFINDS' update might take care of THAT, though, depending on the device. (some GPSr's don't update 'found status' for caches already in their database)

Edited by TeamRabbitRun

That makes sense. I think if I only had three months of snow free caching I'd go crazy.

Edited by justintim1999

That's the key. Keep the reviewer updated.

I had a cache disabled for almost two years due to construction. It was a bit more difficult, because it was a multi that was spread out by miles and I didn't want to give too much info out in cache notes because the final was in the construction zone. I kept in contact with a reviewer, and if someone posted a question about the status on the cache page, I responded with a cache note.

I had a cache disabled for almost two years due to construction. It was a bit more difficult, because it was a multi that was spread out by miles and I didn't want to give too much info out in cache notes because the final was in the construction zone. I kept in contact with a reviewer, and if someone posted a question about the status on the cache page, I responded with a cache note.

Oh, gee, I was reading this conversation and not thinking about it, but after this, I remembered I had a multicache disabled for 5 months because of construction, and it really should still be disabled now, 3 months later, because the problem caused by the construction still isn't fixed. But I went for a fudge, instead, to get it back up while I continue to wait for things to go back to normal so I can put it back to its original form.