which gps

Have you tried one or the other? Touchscreen, if you prefer the convenience of a keyboard for typing, and if you're diligent to lock the screen so it doesn't get randomly pressed (or will use a special case for it). Button/Joystick style if you tend to use various gloves, or if you prefer the controls simplified where you could perform a lot of functions without even looking at the screen.

I've gone with the touchscreen “Garmin Oregon” models for years. Sometimes I *Tap* wonder *Tap* why it won't *Tap* select *Tap* that thing *Tap* right there!! :anicute: And I'll wish I could just scroll onto the spot with a joystick. I could get accustomed to either style. But I'm more familiar with the touchscreen now.

can't decide which way to go. need some input

Tell us what's important to you. Touchscreen? Android OS? Best battery life? Most storage? Biggest screen? Lowest price? Etc.

It's like asking which vehiclebyou should get. I could recommend a Corvette and it's a good vehicle but if you want to drive off road a Jeep would be better. So the more people know what you want, the better suggestions they can give.

Have you tried one or the other? Touchscreen, if you prefer the convenience of a keyboard for typing, and if you're diligent to lock the screen so it doesn't get randomly pressed (or will use a special case for it). Button/Joystick style if you tend to use various gloves, or if you prefer the controls simplified where you could perform a lot of functions without even looking at the screen.

I've gone with the touchscreen “Garmin Oregon” models for years. Sometimes I *Tap* wonder *Tap* why it won't *Tap* select *Tap* that thing *Tap* right there!! :anicute: And I'll wish I could just scroll onto the spot with a joystick. I could get accustomed to either style. But I'm more familiar with the touchscreen now.

i have a delorme pn-40 and its a little laborious going thru screens.i take it from your post the touch isn't quite like a phone.

Tell us what's important to you. Touchscreen? Android OS? Best battery life? Most storage? Biggest screen? Lowest price? Etc.

It's like asking which vehiclebyou should get. I could recommend a Corvette and it's a good vehicle but if you want to drive off road a Jeep would be better. So the more people know what you want, the better suggestions they can give.

most bang for the buck geocaching. battery life would also be important. i have a delorme pn-40

When it comes to touchscreen vs buttons, I choose buttons.

Buttons allow me to use my GPSr when I'm using gloves that lack the 'special fingertip pads'.

I also like buttons because I have issues with touchscreens in the rain. With my phone, if there are water drops on the screen, then my phone seems to register those drops as touches. I haven't tested a touchscreen GPSr to see if this happens with them, so I'm just extrapolating based on what I've experienced with cell phone touchscreens.

I also prefer buttons because they seem to have a lower price than touchscreen units.

When it comes to touchscreen vs buttons, I choose buttons.

Buttons allow me to use my GPSr when I'm using gloves that lack the 'special fingertip pads'.

I also like buttons because I have issues with touchscreens in the rain. With my phone, if there are water drops on the screen, then my phone seems to register those drops as touches. I haven't tested a touchscreen GPSr to see if this happens with them, so I'm just extrapolating based on what I've experienced with cell phone touchscreens.

I also prefer buttons because they seem to have a lower price than touchscreen units.

This does happen with the Oregon 600 series with the capacitive touch screen. But the Montana, and the older Oregons have touch screens that respond to pressure and so they are unaffected by water and can be used with any gloves. It's a trade-off as the Oregon 600's capacitive screen is nice and smooth, sensitive, and allows for multi-touch gestures.

If you plan to use the 'field notes' capability of a GPSr to make your logging easier, a touchscreen certainly is a lot faster.

Apart from that, it's just preference.

I'm a fan of the older resistive screens. Less glare and you can poke them with almost anything (including fingers, of course). The older transreflective resistive touchscreen models were particularly good in bright sun ... something I can't say of any of the capacitive screen models I've seen. Most cell phones are the same way, which is why I don't use mine for caching.

If you plan to use the 'field notes' capability of a GPSr to make your logging easier, a touchscreen certainly is a lot faster.

Apart from that, it's just preference.

I'm a fan of the older resistive screens. Less glare and you can poke them with almost anything (including fingers, of course). The older transreflective resistive touchscreen models were particularly good in bright sun ... something I can't say of any of the capacitive screen models I've seen. Most cell phones are the same way, which is why I don't use mine for caching.

Nah, the screen on the Oregon 600 is even more transreflective. It's brighter in the sun, brighter in the shade, brighter if you use your headlamp to look at it instead of turning on the back light at night. It's a nice screen to look at, so much that when I do take out my Oregon 450, I wonder how I ever got by using it. In terms of brightness and clarity, the screens on the Oregon 600 and 64 series are very similar. The Oregon does have a higher resolution, which can be nice.

most bang for the buck geocaching. battery life would also be important. i have a delorme pn-40

generally you don't get great battery life and great touch screen in the same package. if touch screen matters more, bring extra batteries. if battery life matters more, get ready for a lot of unintended inputs.