Search from here button

The search from here function is gone for a several years now.

In the early days we used Google Earth and its works perfect.

Probably there was to much traffic and Groundspeak must pay for it.

So they choose Mapquest and after that the button wasn't working anymore.

There was a big issue about that in the forum at that time.

And the Waymarking Site never get an update so the button will be there for ever and ever and ever.

But you can search easy if you go to a Waymark nearby and use the link "Nearest Waymarks".

A bigger problem is that more and more icons are missing for categories.

See line 54 and 55 in the category grid.

Tante.Hossi makes a comment on it to the Admin on febr 12 and nobody is giving a reaction to solf it.

Edited by dreamhummie

The "search from here" button could be fixed really easily:

In the Javascript block on the page

jQuery("#uxSearchFromHere").click(function (e) {

e.preventDefault();

if (map && searchUrl) {

var latLng = map.getCenter();

var newSearchUrl = new URI(searchUrl);

newSearchUrl

.removeSearch('sg')

.setSearch('lat', latLng.lat())

.setSearch('lon', latLng.lng());

window.document.location.href = newSearchUrl.toString();

}

return false;

});

".lat()" and ".lng()" have to be replaced by ".lat" and ".lng" (without brackets). Obviously, MapQuest's map.getCenter() provides these values as attributes, not as functions. I tested it in Firefox, and it works like a charme! :)

I don't know if Groundspeak support is reading this, but it would be just 10 minutes of work for your developers, but a huge improvement of the website!

e.preventDefault();

if (map && searchUrl) {

newSearchUrl

.removeSearch('sg')

}

return false;

});

".lat()" and ".lng()" have to be replaced by ".lat" and ".lng" (without brackets). Obviously, MapQuest's map.getCenter() provides these values as attributes, not as functions. I tested it in Firefox, and it works like a charme! :)

I don't know if Groundspeak support is reading this, but it would be just 10 minutes of work for your developers, but a huge improvement of the website!

Good catch! I just tried it with Chrome and it works perfectly. Unfortunately, I fail to see its utility, as the results returned are the same as those from "Nearest Waymarks". Must be a case of being too "tired" to scroll down the page... ;^)

e.preventDefault();

if (map && searchUrl) {

newSearchUrl

.removeSearch('sg')

}

return false;

});

Good catch! I just tried it with Chrome and it works perfectly. Unfortunately, I fail to see its utility, as the results returned are the same as those from "Nearest Waymarks". Must be a case of being too "tired" to scroll down the page... ;^)

Explain :) it would so so nice to be able to pick a spot on the map and go directly to waymarks there. I used the search from here feature all the time, and have really missed it since it broke.

How can the no techy make this work?

Explain :) it would so so nice to be able to pick a spot on the map and go directly to waymarks there. I used the search from here feature all the time, and have really missed it since it broke.

How can the no techy make this work?

"to pick a spot on the map"

This, too, is really easy, and something I do every day. Keep Google Maps and the "All Waymarks" search page open in pinned tabs (they use less real estate and it makes them harder to close by accident), in Google Maps, go to the general area you wish to search, click on the appropriate spot on the map, click on the coordinates in the little box that appears at the bottom, copy these coords from the input box, then plug them into the "All Waymarks" search page. If you hit "Return" after pasting the coords the box below it will open allowing one to select the search radius.

Apparently, this won't get fixed by Groundspeak. So, I packed the fixed code in a Greasemonkey script. If anyone is interested, the script is here:

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/a82c2458fae5231368a3b074df2f13cc/raw/130ab0d6be49aec6ae5c79087d3369bc268a2f63/SearchFromHereFix.user.js

Installation on Firefox:

(1) Install Greasemonkey Addon: https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/greasemonkey/

(2) Click script link and confirm script installation

(3) Maybe you'll have to enable the script in about:addons > User scripts

Installation on Chrome:

(1) Download the script

(2) Open chrome://extensions

(3) Drag & Drop downloaded script on page (2) and confirm

No warranty given, but tested successfully in latest FF & Chrome on search-results-page and waymark-details-page.

Unfortunately, I fail to see its utility, as the results returned are the same as those from "Nearest Waymarks". Must be a case of being too "tired" to scroll down the page... ;^)

No it's not the same, because "Nearest waymarks" references the position of the waymark currently beeing displayed, whereas "Search from here" uses the current position of the map as center point. So, you can move the map around and then search from this position. This is much more convenient than copying coordinates from Google Maps etc.

Unfortunately, I fail to see its utility, as the results returned are the same as those from "Nearest Waymarks". Must be a case of being too "tired" to scroll down the page... ;^)

No it's not the same, because "Nearest waymarks" references the position of the waymark currently beeing displayed, whereas "Search from here" uses the current position of the map as center point. So, you can move the map around and then search from this position. This is much more convenient than copying coordinates from Google Maps etc.

I never used the feature, I have always used the nearest waymarks search feature. Now I have the Waymarking Mobile on my Android that brings up the nearest WM's. :)

Oh! Since I had never used the feature, I was unaware of that. Would have been handy. Ya learn something almost every day!!! If I suddenly feel the need to use it I'll try the script.

On a side note - the fix is sooooo simple that if someone were to bring it to the attention of Waywizard, Bootron, et all, mebbe they would invest the 5 minutes required and do the deed!!

It was a very handy feature, I used it a lot when I started Waymarking. Now when I want to find a specific location, and then the nearest waymark I either need to pull coordinates off google maps or search the geocaching maps for the nearest cache and then use the "Nearest waymarks" link. Much less convenient.

Apparently, this won't get fixed by Groundspeak. So, I packed the fixed code in a Greasemonkey script. If anyone is interested, the script is here:

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/a82c2458fae5231368a3b074df2f13cc/raw/130ab0d6be49aec6ae5c79087d3369bc268a2f63/SearchFromHereFix.user.js

Installation on Firefox:

(1) Install Greasemonkey Addon: https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/greasemonkey/

(2) Click script link and confirm script installation

(3) Maybe you'll have to enable the script in about:addons > User scripts

Installation on Chrome:

(1) Download the script

(2) Open chrome://extensions

(3) Drag & Drop downloaded script on page (2) and confirm

No warranty given, but tested successfully in latest FF & Chrome on search-results-page and waymark-details-page.

Narayan, that's so awesome - it's fixed (at least on this computer)! Installation on Firefox was a breeze since greasemonkey was already installed for send2cgeo.

Oh! Since I had never used the feature, I was unaware of that. Would have been handy. Ya learn something almost every day!!! If I suddenly feel the need to use it I'll try the script.

On a side note - the fix is sooooo simple that if someone were to bring it to the attention of Waywizard, Bootron, et all, mebbe they would invest the 5 minutes required and do the deed!!

BK-Hunters, install the script and try it. It is so nice to be able to drag the maps anywhere you want, hit a single button and you are instantly shown a list of waymarks for that area. Don't wait for it to be fixed, that might not happen.

On a side note, while scrolling around on the map to test the fix, I stumbled upon an Ontario Provincial Plaque for John Muir http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMF5F_JOHN_MUIR. Turns out he lived and worked in Ontario for a short time. I had no idea.

I use chrome and installed the script. It worked! Yay

I turned on my browser this morning and got a message that google had blocked the script because it was not from the google store, with no way to unblock it.

Now what?

Easy solution. Stop using chrome and start using Firefox. The only feature I like on Chrome is the ability to save a page as a pdf, so I use Chrome just for times when I want to do that. Otherwise it's Firefox. I'd like to believe that it's one less chance for Google to collect data on my online habits (aside from performing searches while in firefox) but they probably have found a way around that.

I turned on my browser this morning and got a message that google had blocked the script because it was not from the google store, with no way to unblock it.

I'm sorry about that. I experienced the same. Since the sript was installable and initially enabled, I thought it worked fine with Chrome. But for some reason Chrome obviously disables user scripts other than from the official web store at launch without any possibility to reenable them. :(

The only workaround I found was using the Tampermonkey extension:

(1) Install Tampermonkey extension from Google web store: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/tampermonkey?hl=de

(2) Click / open the script link: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/a82c2458fae5231368a3b074df2f13cc/raw/130ab0d6be49aec6ae5c79087d3369bc268a2f63/SearchFromHereFix.user.js

(3) A Tampermonkey-page should open with information about the script. Hit the Install-button on that page.

If you have already installed the script before via the chrome:extensions-page, you should now see the script twice when you check the Tampermonkey overview page: the new one enabled and the old one disbled and unenableable. You can remove the old one.

Sorry for the inconvenience / misinformation regarding Chrome, but I'm not that familiar with Chrome and I just started developing own user scripts. :)

Wow, this is great. I've really missed that feature.

There's only one tiny problem I see: After using that feature the coordinates are not included in the search criteria. It says "Search Criteria: All Waymarks Within 10 km of none". At first sight, that's no problem, but if I want to add another search criteria (for example "My waymarks"), the coordinates are forgotten and the result shows waymarks somewhere else.

If I open any waymark and click on "Nearest Waymarks", the coordinates are part of the search criteria and I can add/change the criteria without loosing the coordinates. Both features open the same page (www.Waymarking.com/wm/search.aspx), but the "Nearest Waymarks" link also includes the parameter "t=6". This seems to be the parameter that is necessary to pass the coordinates to the search criteria.

• Upvote 1