New GPS - NOT liking it!

zookeepertx

I've had a Magellan Explorist 210 for just about ever, but it got so old that, the only way I could actually see the screen was to spit on it and be holding it JUSSSSST right, while shading with my hand. :blink:

So, I finally broke down and got a new unit. I HATE buying things, because I just know I'll screw up and I'm afraid I did this time. (Again)

I got a Garmin Etrex 20x and am not happy with it. I got it from Best Buy and they didn't have it in stock but the description looked good, so I bought it and had them order it. So, I never got to see it in person and hold it in my hand first.

•  
  • First problem - the old unit had a ring on the back to attach a lanyard, which was very handy! This one has nothing like that; the closest thing is the square ring that screws in the cover over the batteries.
  • Also, there are a LOT of icons on the screen, most of which I have NO idea what they're for and am 99% sure I'll never use. I have to scroll down through ALL of them to find the icon I want. (Or, at least, what I THINK I want; I can't really tell from the name of a lot of them)
  • From what I can tell, you have to completely leave a "section" and back out then choose a different icon to see something else. If I'm track logging a trail and want to know how far I've gone and my speed, I have to go clear back to the menu and then poke around trying to figure out which dang icon will take me to distance/speed. I can't even find where to get the TIME without wandering around first! VERY annoying!
  • When I'm done track logging and go to save the track, where the heck do I save it? It looks like you have to just save them all to a generic place. I go trail riding at a number of different facilities and, on the Magellan, I could create a file for each facility and save the trails for that facility in its file. Can I not do that with this stupid Garmin? Or do I have to have this HUGE list of dozens of trails and scroll through all of them to find the one I want?
  • How do I reset the total miles back to zero so I know how far I've gone THAT DAY? I can't find a way to do it!

:mad:

The tiny booklet that came with it is useless! It originally wanted me to calibrate the compass, but, come to find out that on this particular model, you don't have to do that. The English part of the teeny, tiny booklet is only 5 pages and is VERY vague and totally unhelpful.

I've been trying to get used to it, so I've had it too long now to try and return it. Can anyone give me clues on this stupid thing? I hope I'm just missing something and somebody can enlighten me to be able to get along with it.

Thanks for any help!

Jenny

Most of the Garmin's I've seen have the user manual as a file on the unit itself. Or you can go to http://support.garmin.com/support/manuals/manuals.htm?partNo=010-01508-00&language=en&country=US and download it.

Changing brands, you have to expect a different menu set-up, even names for the same function. I've taught classes with both Garmin and Magellan units and it was 'fun' to keep the two menu systems seperate in my mind.

I'm not fimilar with the 20x, but I'm sure many of the screens have 'dashboards' or 'data fields' that you can cange whats displayed. The 'trip computer' page should have a menu option to reset various data (time, distance, speed, etc.).

[*]First problem

There's a section on the body for attaching a lanyard, I think it's on the bottom of the body, you need to loop a cord through a slot.

[*]Also, there are a LOT of icons on the screen, most of which I have NO idea what they're for and am 99% sure I'll never use.

You can edit the icons on the screen and remove the ones you don't want. I have a number of different profiles, with different icons available on each one.

[*]From what I can tell, you have to completely leave a "section" and back out then choose a different icon to see something else.

You can set up a screen sequence so that hitting one button scrolls through the different "sections" for my geocaching profile I have it set up to go Compass, Map, Main menu just by pressing a button.

[*]When I'm done track logging and go to save the track, where the heck do I save it? It looks like you have to just save them all to a generic place.

I think you're stuck with this one.

[*]How do I reset the total miles back to zero so I know how far I've gone THAT DAY? I can't find a way to do it!

You can do this in the Trip section.

[*]The tiny booklet that came with it is useless!

Yes it is, you're better off doing a google search, there are some useful guides online but I don't have the links to them at the moment. Also I don't have my GPS, otherwise I would tell you exactly how to do the stuff above.

FWIW I think it's a pretty good GPS, so worth sticking with it until you get used to it.

I find the "profiles" feature useful, I have different profiles Geocaching, and cycling, and "recreational use", with each one tailored to how I do that particular activity

• First problem - the old unit had a ring on the back to attach a lanyard, which was very handy! This one has nothing like that; the closest thing is the square ring that screws in the cover over the batteries.

You can buy a Garmin Carabiner, which slips over the rails on the back of the GPS.

Also, there is a place on the bottom of the GPS where you can thread the fine loop that many Geocaching lanyards have through.

Most of the Garmin's I've seen have the user manual as a file on the unit itself. Or you can go to http://support.garmin.com/support/manuals/manuals.htm?partNo=010-01508-00&language=en&country=US and download it.

Changing brands, you have to expect a different menu set-up, even names for the same function. I've taught classes with both Garmin and Magellan units and it was 'fun' to keep the two menu systems seperate in my mind.

I'm not fimilar with the 20x, but I'm sure many of the screens have 'dashboards' or 'data fields' that you can cange whats displayed. The 'trip computer' page should have a menu option to reset various data (time, distance, speed, etc.).

YES! That manual is a BIG help! Takes quite a while to set up a Profile, but then, I'm pretty technologically challenged, LOL!

Thanks!

[*]First problem

There's a section on the body for attaching a lanyard, I think it's on the bottom of the body, you need to loop a cord through a slot.

AHA! I wondered what that was for! It kind of looks like something might plug in there, so I haven't messed with it, LOL!

[*]Also, there are a LOT of icons on the screen, most of which I have NO idea what they're for and am 99% sure I'll never use.

You can edit the icons on the screen and remove the ones you don't want. I have a number of different profiles, with different icons available on each one.

Yep! Just got that part set up. YAY! Progress!

[*]From what I can tell, you have to completely leave a "section" and back out then choose a different icon to see something else.

You can set up a screen sequence so that hitting one button scrolls through the different "sections" for my geocaching profile I have it set up to go Compass, Map, Main menu just by pressing a button.

I have NO clue how to do that, but then, I haven't read the whole manual that The Jester posted a link to. Maybe it's in there somewhere.

[*]When I'm done track logging and go to save the track, where the heck do I save it? It looks like you have to just save them all to a generic place.

I think you're stuck with this one.

Well, that sucks! Not very well planned, if you ask me!

FWIW I think it's a pretty good GPS, so worth sticking with it until you get used to it.

I find the "profiles" feature useful, I have different profiles Geocaching, and cycling, and "recreational use", with each one tailored to how I do that particular activity

I'll hang in there with it. I got the Profiles thing figured out, so that's helpful.

Thanks!

I have NO clue how to do that, but then, I haven't read the whole manual that The Jester posted a link to. Maybe it's in there somewhere.

This is the "Page Sequence" feature, which is on page 39 of the manual linked to above.

Most of your comments are quibbles about the unit. What is really wrong with it is that it is SO SLOW. SLOWWWW.

I had a 30X and I sent it right back and got a GPSMAP 64S. That thing is lightning fast! It even has 3-axis electronic compass and altimeter on it. So, you can stand still and it will still tell you which direction you are going.

I know you said you can't return it. But, send someone an e-mail and see if you can. If not, throw it up on e-bay and check out the 64S.

Edited by Pinballwiz

Most of your comments are quibbles about the unit. What is really wrong with it is that it is SO SLOW. SLOWWWW.

I had a 30X and I sent it right back and got a GPSMAP 64S. That thing is lightning fast! It even has 3-axis electronic compass and altimeter on it. So, you can stand still and it will still tell you which direction you are going.

I know you said you can't return it. But, send someone an e-mail and see if you can. If not, throw it up on e-bay and check out the 64S.

+1.

Ummmm, a 30x has a compass and altimeter.... The problem with a 64, is the horrible low resolution screen. It baffles me they have never improved that. An Oregon is a lot nicer.