Snow Friendly Caches in South Central PA

pamap

I just saw a thread for New Jersey on this subject and thought I would copy it for those of us in S C PA. The recent snowfalls have made things difficult, but not impossible. The last 2 foot dump will make geocaching pretty tough for at least a week or two, so I thought we could start a list of snow friendly caches in the area. By that, I mean caches that wouldn't be real difficult to find in the snow. Maybe they're in trees, under park benches,under rock ledges, whatever. If you know of any that are FRIENDLY please post a reply with them listed. For starters my PICKLETOWN #2 can definitely be found in this amount of snow. I will post a longer list after I have had time to give this more thought.......

Marty "PAMAP"

Nothing wrong with spreading a good idea around.

Going back through my cache list, these seem possible in the snow:

Pill Bottle Cache

Snake Den Cache

Serenity

Shingletown Climb

Now, *getting* to them could be a challenge!

X is for X, and X marks the spot, On the rug in the parlor, The sand in the lot, Where once you were standing, And now you are not.

Just did the "Carlilse Historic Trail" virtual caches today. The hardest part of most was finding a parking space. They haven't cleared much of the snow from the streets yet. The Molly Pitcher one is a little more difficult in that you have to walk through some knee deep wet snow to get to it. (I was SOAKED from the knees down) It's a little easier now that I have the snow cleared from the markers with the answers.

I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should happen to get back before I return, please ask me to wait.

Here is the list I came up of caches that can be found in the snow. Diabolical Duo, Gremlins: Faces In The Forest, The Happy Cache 1, Swamp Creature, Pickletown #2, and Safari Kids 3. Although Pickletown #2 could be covered up by a REALLY BIG snow. These are all caches I have been to. Sorry if this gives away some of the locations.

Thanks for the plug for Serenity Enfanta! Yes, that cache is not buried...but I would be astonished if anyone can get to Serenity now! (Wait, thats a Seinfeld quote)

I actually would be amazed if anyone could even get to and find the parking area! Its on an un-plowed forestry road. Then, its a two mile hike in (Snowshoes recommended) on trails difficult to see even in the summer. Right, Enfanta? And, after you reach the cache area...its a small cache in a cleaver little hiding spot.

Many good cachers have difficulty even in the summer and none have found it on their first try, except when it was not in its intended spot. Its so tough that I have even left a $20 bill and a $10 bill to reward the efforts. I May have to try that again this spring!

Salvelinus

BTW, is that a pancake on that rabbits head Enfanta?

goldfish.gif

"The trail will be long and full of frustrations. Life is a whole and good and evil must be accepted together"

Ralph Abele

OK, I've gone through my list and here are a few that I feel you should be able to find with the current snow situation, that is if you can survive the HIKE:

FUNNY BUNNY TOO

COVERED BRIDGES #1

HALFWAY "AT" HEAVEN

MUSKRAT SPRING CACHE

QUARTERLY REVIEW OF THE SWINGING MINI_BENCHMARKS

BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATERS

PLUS most Virtual caches, but not ALL.........

To reiterate, I was looking for caches in SOUTH CENTRAL PA, ie. Carlisle, Harrisburg, York, Chambersburg & Lancaster area, but feel free to list others, just state their general proximity.

THANKS, "PAMAP"

deetylong, the only reason I didn't choose that lovely micro on campus is I feared it would be covered in snow...perhaps I was wrong. Maybe I'll check up on it on the way home tonight!

'linus, I thought the Serenity cache would be "easy" enough to find in the deep snow but of course getting there would be the challenge!

okay, I'll shut up now!

X is for X, and X marks the spot, On the rug in the parlor, The sand in the lot, Where once you were standing, And now you are not.

well if we are expanding this to all of PA here's some in the Pittsburgh area. We've done all of these in the snow or placed them and they have been found since it snowed.

Dain Bramage & Fiddle Lingers

Kidscience Consolation

Nested High in the Hollow

Football in Hopewell

Elves magnify a microcache

Elves visit Neville Ireland

Revenge of the Elves (this one is great, but may be harder in deep snow)

Elves are Easily overlooked (again deep snow may prevent a smiley, micros CAN be difficult in snowy weather).

Anybody else know more around da 'burg? I hate logging DNF because of the white stuff.

Dan

TEAM VAXCAVE

In a related story, the Ohio Valley in Pennsylvania has been renamed "microcache alley".

LMAO!...Don't let the B--tards win Quest!

Almost every cache I have found can be bagged in the snow. My first half-dozen or so all were snow finds. For me, the problem with snow is the access to Forest roads which are not maintained in the winter. Not so much in burying the cache too much. Having a Jeep helps with the snow...its the ice and those steep drop offs that worry me! I usually contact forest offices and ask if their roads are Jeep accessible in the winter. If they are dicey, I don't go.

Nawww...I still won't relent and find rest stop and Wal Mart micros during winter. I'll tie flies instead. ;)

Actually...Fire Elemental is a great winter cache. It is an easially accessible multi, with micro stages and a traditional cache at the end. It is listed as a MOC, for good reason, but probably soon will be available to all. This one is in my top 3 of all time! Even you would like this one Quest!

Salvelinus

I am the b--tard to whom Quest Master is referring. I've placed no fewer than six microcaches within sight of the Ohio River, and one each along the banks of the lovely Monongahela and the mighty Allegheny.

It is all done in revenge, you see. I had to shell out megabucks to buy a four wheel drive SUV so I could do Quest Master's caches and call them "quick drivebys" in my logs.

And just to stay on topic, I regard all 22 of my caches as being winter-accessible (findable with several inches of snow on the ground) with the exception of the following:

The Elves Go Directly to Jail

The Elves Tree a Raccoon

Eeny Meenie Miney Elves

Frisbee Fun

It is all done in revenge, you see. I had to shell out megabucks to buy a four wheel drive SUV so I could do Quest Master's caches and call them "quick drivebys" in my logs.

So what? I'm going to have to buy a wheelchair or one of those geriatric scooters before I can do any more urban micros and call them a "challenge" in my logs.

Back on topic: The snow has melted enough to hunt and hide some real caches. Let's hope that it lasts. Maybe after Christmas...