Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
BC Nomads

Magellan explorist gc issues on windows 10

18 posts in this topic

Recently updated our laptop from windows 7 to 10. I can not get the laptop to recognize the Magellan explorist GC (V1.7 now. Have tried

different cords, plug slots etc . Took GPS to a computer servicing shop and had them try it on their windows 10.

Would not connect. Still connects without a problem on my windows vista and service shop windows 7 version.

Have sent note to magellan and received an answer but nothing they suggest worked. Windows 10 connects to cameras

and other memory sticks without problems.

Is this a common issue??- I want this thing to work with 10 because sooner

or later that will be all I have.

Comments appreciated.

I m having the same exact problem. I have already downloaded Windows 10 to all of my computers and I am now unable to download the geocaches. I have tried a lot of different fixes but so far nothing has worked. I am hoping that somebody comes up with a fix. Good luck!

Same problem here. I feel better that it isn't just us.

Thanks for your posts. We love the GPS but it is of no use to us if it won`t connect to the PC.

I sent an e mail to Magellan and tried the results they suggested but to no avail.

I sent them another e mail telling them that others have the same problem.

Hopefully you folks will too.

I hope the experts at Magellan pay attention to this and get it fixed.

Otherwise, we will have to buy another GPS and we know what brand it won't be.

From this Explorist GC thread it seems like some people experienced these problems for awhile. There is one report of someone resoldering the connection, another person installed a virtual Linux program in order to use Ubuntu, another booted the unit in disk access mode and upgraded the firmware to 2.15. But it seems like the problem is not new.

Edited by geodarts

I recently installed Windows 10 and I am not having any issues with connecting my Explorist GC. I wish I could tell you how to fix your issue, but mine just worked when I plugged it in.

Note: is your Magellan running the latest firmware? I could have sworn the latest and greatest was v2.15.

Edited by schrempa

I was recently prompted to download updates and did. The opening screen shows V1.7 - I have no idea if that is firmware

or quick fix update- where can I see what firmware is installed?- and if it is not up to date how can I update?

--bit of a computer nerd!

Hi,

I had a similar problem. It relates to the serial port driver which Windows 10 overwrites with an incompatible version.

I found a site that provided a compatible version, together with a fix that prevents Windows from overwriting it again. Unfortunately, I no longer have the details of the site that explained the problem or fix, but the driver it provided is Win_Driver_Prolific_3_2_0_0.exe

Works fine for me now

Edit - the site that helped me is http://www.ifamilysoftware.com/news37.html (don't be put off when you see it's called Family Software Drag Racing)

The details from that page are:

The only 64-bit driver I have ever found that works with all the "Prolific" adapters is Version 3.3.2.102. The below installer program will remove all of the incompatible drivers, make a change so that Windows can never update the driver without your okay, and install the Version 3.3.2.102 compatible drivers.

Windows 64-bit Fix for:

- All Windows 64-bit operating systems including Windows 10

.Prolific USB to Serial Adapter .

.Device using PL-2303 H/HXA/HX/X version chips

.Supported device ID and product strings: . VID_067B&PID_2303 for "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port"

1. Download and Save the PL2303 Installer Program here:

http://www.ifamilysoftware.com/Drivers/PL2303Installer/PL2303_64bit_Installer.exe

You can just Save it to your Desktop to make things easy.

2. Unplug all USB-To-Serial adapters and Double click on the installer "PL2303_64bit_Installer.exe"

3. When it prompts you, plug in one (1) of your USB-To-Serial adapters and click "Continue".

4. Reboot your computer. That's it!

Windows 32-bit Fix for:

- All Windows 32-bit operating systems from XP up

.Supported device ID and product strings: . VID_067B&PID_2303 for "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port"

http://www.ifamilysoftware.com/Drivers/PL-2303_Driver_Installer.exe

2. Run the installer program. If it offers a choice to remove the driver, then select to remove the current bad driver. Then run the installer again to install the correct driver.

I'm only on here by chance, so don't expect me to reply to queries.

Edited by arm-chair

Recently updated our laptop from windows 7 to 10. I can not get the laptop to recognize the Magellan explorist GC (V1.7 now. Have tried

different cords, plug slots etc . Took GPS to a computer servicing shop and had them try it on their windows 10.

Would not connect. Still connects without a problem on my windows vista and service shop windows 7 version.

Have sent note to magellan and received an answer but nothing they suggest worked. Windows 10 connects to cameras

and other memory sticks without problems.

Is this a common issue??- I want this thing to work with 10 because sooner

or later that will be all I have.

Comments appreciated.

I had the same problem. I tried several fixes before I found a fix that worked. When I had the problem, my Magellan was running version 1.8. After logging on to the Magellan support/download page, I downloaded the most recent version. After updating my Explorist GC to version 2.5, the GPSr was able to communicate with Windows10. Check to see what version you are running. If you are not running at least 1.7, you'll have to update to 1.7 before updating to 2.5. I hope this information helps everyone having difficulty.

Magellan support/download update

http://support.magellangps.com/support/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=view&parentcategoryid=62&pcid=24&nav=0,18,24

Edited by muddinchemist

Hi,

I had a similar problem. It relates to the serial port driver which Windows 10 overwrites with an incompatible version.

I found a site that provided a compatible version, together with a fix that prevents Windows from overwriting it again. Unfortunately, I no longer have the details of the site that explained the problem or fix, but the driver it provided is Win_Driver_Prolific_3_2_0_0.exe

Works fine for me now

Edit - the site that helped me is http://www.ifamilysoftware.com/news37.html (don't be put off when you see it's called Family Software Drag Racing)

The details from that page are:

The only 64-bit driver I have ever found that works with all the "Prolific" adapters is Version 3.3.2.102. The below installer program will remove all of the incompatible drivers, make a change so that Windows can never update the driver without your okay, and install the Version 3.3.2.102 compatible drivers.

Windows 64-bit Fix for:

- All Windows 64-bit operating systems including Windows 10

http://www.ifamilysoftware.com/Drivers/PL2303Installer/PL2303_64bit_Installer.exe

2. Unplug all USB-To-Serial adapters and Double click on the installer "PL2303_64bit_Installer.exe"

3. When it prompts you, plug in one (1) of your USB-To-Serial adapters and click "Continue".

4. Reboot your computer. That's it!

Windows 32-bit Fix for:

- All Windows 32-bit operating systems from XP up

http://www.ifamilysoftware.com/Drivers/PL-2303_Driver_Installer.exe

2. Run the installer program. If it offers a choice to remove the driver, then select to remove the current bad driver. Then run the installer again to install the correct driver.

I'm only on here by chance, so don't expect me to reply to queries.

This did the trick. Windows 10 now recognizes my GPS. Instead of showing drive e in explorer it says Megellan. Thanks

We purchased a new computer with Windows 10 that had the same problem. Communicator plug-in detected the gps but we could not get a geocache to load onto the gps. I got it working after trying this....

Open IE

Go to TOOLS

Then INTERNET OPTIONS

Click on SECURITY tab

Select TRUSTED SITES

Click on SITES button

Add https://www.geocaching.com to trusted sites

Hope this all works for everyone else.

A friend who owns 2 Magellan Explorist GC could not get them to connect to her computer. I tried to connect to my laptop with windows 10 and the computer did not recognize the gps. Later I connected to another computer running Vista and it connected fine.

If you are stuck with only Windows 10 there is a workaround. You can download caches to GSAK and then GSAK will talk to the Magellan just fine. GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) is a versatile little data base program that costs a one time fee of $30. We have used it for years and found in invaluable.

MD Crab

A friend who owns 2 Magellan Explorist GC could not get them to connect to her computer. I tried to connect to my laptop with windows 10 and the computer did not recognize the gps. Later I connected to another computer running Vista and it connected fine.

If you are stuck with only Windows 10 there is a workaround. You can download caches to GSAK and then GSAK will talk to the Magellan just fine. GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) is a versatile little data base program that costs a one time fee of $30. We have used it for years and found in invaluable.

MD Crab

On the other hand, if GSAK talks to the Magellan just fine, the computer is recognizing the device and a user can save a gpx file directly to its "geocaches" folder (or try to get the communicator to work through other methods).

This is not to say that GSAK and other caching managers are not helpful. However, as long as the computer (or iPhone/iPad/Android) recognizes the gps unit then GSAK is not needed to transfer files in lieu of the communicator. If Windows 10 does not recognize the gps because of driver error or other issues, then GSAK could not solve the problem.

Edited by geodarts

A friend who owns 2 Magellan Explorist GC could not get them to connect to her computer. I tried to connect to my laptop with windows 10 and the computer did not recognize the gps.

You can download caches to GSAK and then GSAK will talk to the Magellan just fine.

This is confusing and contradictory. If GSAK can send caches to the device, then the Magellan is successfully connected to and recognized by the computer. GSAK doesn't have any special communication software built-in; it uses whatever access the computer has to the device. If the computer wasn't recognizing the device, GSAK wouldn't be able to do anything with it.

heh... this might be a classic case of "not connecting to the computer" really means "the communicator plugin doesn't work on the website."

I have been  having  the  same problem.  Geocaching.com  treats  me like  they have  never  heard  of  this.  They  give  a  bunch  of  junk  solutions that  have NO  relation to the  reality that  Windows  10  just does  not  recognize  my  Magellan  Explorist  anymore.   I  have  tried  contacting  Magellan  and  they  give  the  same  run around with  junk  solutions.   They  even  told  me  to  get a computer  with  a  lesser  program  so  I  could  download  onto  my  Explorist  again.   Great  solution.   MICROSOFT  IS  THE  PROBLEM.   THEY  KEEP  RUINING  THEIR  PROGRAMS  AND EXPECT US TO  HAVE TO DEAL WITH  THEIR RESULTS.  THEN  THEY SPEND SEVERAL YEARS CORRECTING THEIR NEW  PROBLEMS THAT HAVE BEEN  CREATED  UNTIL THEY  MAYBE GET THEM FIXED.   THEN  THEY  COME OUT  WITH  THE  NEXT VERSION  OF MICROSOFT  # WHATEVER  AND  START THE PROCESS ALL OVER  AGAIN.   I   HAVE  ABSOLUTELY  NO  RESPECT  FOR  MICROSOFT !!!

Just so we're all on the same page - when you say that Windows 10 doesn't recognize your Explorist anymore, you mean that it's not mounting as a mass storage device so that you can access the folders and files on it.

If you're talking about geocaching.com not recognizing that your device is plugged in, you really mean that the communicator plugin isn't detected - because all of the browsers (MS Edge, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari (on mac)) no longer support plugins built on the NPAPI platform, of which all of the GPS communicator plugins were made. This is not unique to Magellan, as Garmin's communicator plugin is also no longer useable. The "Send to GPS" button is effectively dead. Use "Save to GPX" instead, or better yet, use pocket queries because you really shouldn't be loading caches one at a time anyway.