Archived Caches

paticpatic

When does a cache get archived? Does it happen when a CO moved and can't look after the cache? Or does a cache get archived when a CO doesn't respond to maintenance of their cache? Just wondering as I have placed some caches out and some logs mention they have been in the area before but that cache must have been archived? Maybe the CO moved and can't find a local CO to transfer the cache too? I hope it's a simple answer and not more of an opinion? Thanks for your time :).

When does a cache get archived? Does it happen when a CO moved and can't look after the cache? Or does a cache get archived when a CO doesn't respond to maintenance of their cache? Just wondering as I have placed some caches out and some logs mention they have been in the area before but that cache must have been archived? Maybe the CO moved and can't find a local CO to transfer the cache too? I hope it's a simple answer and not more of an opinion? Thanks for your time :).

Caches are archived by the CO (for any reason, including s/he doesn't want it to be out there anymore,) by reviewers (typically because the cache has been reported missing and the CO doesn't respond to maintenance requests) or GS HQ (special circumstances)

Edited by Michaelcycle

Cashes get archived for many reasons.

My caching partner died, and I will not be returning to that area for maintenance. They have all been removed.

Cache muggled too often. Unsustainable.

Reviewers can archive caches. CO not active; cache is missing.

Cache did not meet guidelines (Cache nailed to tree.)

Or: State park has decided to archive all caches in its jurisdiction so it can hide their own.

So, there are many reasons why a cache might be archived.

Caches get archived when:

1. The CO decides to archive them for a variety of reasons.

2. The cache has fallen into dis-repair, gets DNF's, Needs Maintenance logs and finally someone logs a Needs Archive and the reviewer agrees.

3. Things have changed at GZ, like a new building appears and some one logs a NA.

4. Some reviewers will do DNF and NM sweeps of there area and do a disable/archive of worthy caches

5. The cache does not comply with the listing guidelines, a NA is logged and the reviewer agrees.

I'm sure others will add to the list.

Thanks for all the replies. Is there a way to see where the archived caches were placed? I guess it's up to the CO, if possible (and they still exist) to remove the cache, but I think some are still out there.

A reviewer can probably see all the archived caches, but as far as I know, the only way us mortals can is if we know the cache name, or GC number. If we know those, I think we can search for and see the archived cache.

A cache owner can archive his/her caches just because they want to. They may not want to adopt the cache to someone, perhaps preferring to open the area to new caches placed by new cache owners.

A location might prove difficult because the cache is constantly muggled. So a cache owner may archive it just to be rid of the problem of constant maintenance.

A cache owner might give up caching as a hobby, so archives his/her hides.

A cache owner could die.

There's a lot of different reasons for cache archivals.

Lots of areas get constantly bombarded with cache placements. A cycle of archived ones replaced with new ones is common in some areas.

Yes, there's probably tons of "geo-litter" out there because of archived caches not being retrieved by the owner.

You can find the listing for an archived cache if you know:

--the GC code

OR

--the name of the person who hid it (archived caches will appear on their "owned" caches list with red lines through them)

OR

--the names of people who found it (again, the archived caches will appear on their "found" list with a red line through them.) Check the finds of people who said that they've been to this location before, and see if there's an archived cache in their "found" list.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Just to add to the list...

I archived my first cache because it had been muggled repeatedly, then skateboarders destroyed the wooden steps it was hidden under, then skateboarders destroyed the replacement steps, and then the parks department decided not to rebuild the steps.

I archived my second cache because the property used by the community garden was sold, and the community garden had to move elsewhere. (I couldn't hide a cache at the community garden's new location, but if I could have, I would have still archived the old listing, and then created a new listing for the new location.)

1447287969[/url]' post='5547660']

I'm guessing you're referring to your cemetery cache. Based on the logs, there use to be another cache in that cemetery. That's not unusual at all, since cemeteries are popular places to hide caches.

I'm guessing you're referring to your cemetery cache. Based on the logs, there use to be another cache in that cemetery. That's not unusual at all, since cemeteries are popular places to hide caches.
There are a number of locations around here where I've seen a series of caches come and go. Some locations are popular with cache owners (especially new cache owners), but they're busy and it's hard for caches to survive long there.
1447287969[/url]' post='5547660']

http://coord.info/GC1QG77 Salem Cemetery Past-Present

B.

2. The cache has fallen into dis-repair, gets DNF's, Needs Maintenance logs and finally someone logs a Needs Archive and the reviewer agrees.

3. Things have changed at GZ, like a new building appears and some one logs a NA.

4. Some reviewers will do DNF and NM sweeps of there area and do a disable/archive of worthy caches

5. The cache does not comply with the listing guidelines, a NA is logged and the reviewer agrees.

CO moves half-way across the country and abandons his caches

CO moves half-way across the country and abandons his caches

Property owner asks that cache be removed.

If (as others have guessed) you are looking for archived caches near a specific location, here's one way:

1) Locate a very old nearby cache.

2) Look for logs on that other cache in the time frame of interest.

3) Check what other caches those cachers found on the same day.

4) See which of these are in the area of interest and are now archived.

Repeat.

There might be a way to automate this in GSAK, but I don't immediately see to do step 3 in GSAK.

Edward