Kudos to the trail maintenance volunteers … lets give them credit!!!

Skully & Mulder et al.

Up until recently I had no idea who was responsible for maintaining all the blazed trails in the area. I now know they are maintained by volunteers (some of them cachers) who sacrifice their free time for others enjoyment. Before geocaching, I did plenty of hiking, and I will have to say that the trails in North Jersey & NY have never been better. I’ll just give credit to one trail for now (I’ll chime in with more later) that I used to get most of the way to GC5 – Terrace Pond North. The trail was in great shape with brand new blazes. I don’t know who maintains it but I would like to say thanks. I’d like to find out who does all this work – c’mon people step forward and take credit!!!

Thanks to all the volunteers!

I guess I'm just a little too greedy to spend a perfectly good caching day doing trail maintenance, but I do move branches and trees off the trail as I'm hiking and CITO helps too.

Not to mention the blood I donate to the mosquitos and the Spiderwebs I clear with my face. icon_redface.gif (Yuck)

Keep up the good work!

Ski...

And if anybody wants to get involved, I know of a maintainer vacancy in Ramapo Mtn State Forest. It's a nice trail near Team GWHO's Van Slyke Castle cache.

It doesn't take a lot of your time. At minimum, two to three maintenance visits a year to clip overgrowth, control erosion, remove litter and blowdowns and report major problems, etc.... (more popular trails may need more frequent visits). You may have to re-paint the blazes every few years, but that's it.

If you're interested in helping, e-mail me.

BTW, according to his profile, the TPN trail is maintained by the geocacher Pheligan, known for his GCx series of caches. And geocacher Mxtyptlk (or however you spell that) is maintaining the Cannonball Trail in the Ramapos. The section where my Canonball II and Matapin Rock caches are.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on July 13, 2003 at 06:36 AM.]

Roosteroo just assumed responsibility for the previously mentioned Castle Point trail in Ramapo Mtn State Forest (the trail that leads to GWHO's old Van Slyke Castle cache). Thanks Roo!

There are still may vacancies! C'mon, its not a real lot of work! Perhaps 2-3 afternoons out of an entire year. A good family activity!

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

I have BrianSnat to thank for giving me the opportunity to take over maintanence duties for his former section of the Cannonball trail. I have to agree with Brian that it really doesn't require too much work or time. According to the guidelines you should do maintenance duties 2-3 times a year. I've already traversed my section of the trail 2 - 3 times in the first couple of months the trail was assigned to me. The toughest part so far has been making the circular Cannonball trail blazes. Again, I have Brian to thank for giving me 3 inch metal disks that make perfect Cannonball trail blazes. Look for them on the trail within the next few months!

cannon.gif

[This message was edited by Mxyzptlk on August 02, 2003 at 06:55 AM.]

Are there any openings along the Long Path? I could take a section of that. I know the lower section pretty well and have a multi planted in the Mount Nebo area of the Long Path.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own.

Sydney J. Harris

The fool who knows he is a fool is for that reason very wise. The fool who thinks himself wise is the greatest fool of all.

Shakyamuni

According to this there are two vacancies on the southern Long Path. I don't know exactly where they are though. I'm not sure how up to date this page is either.

While I'm at it, here are a few links I sent to Skully & Mulder that explain a bit more about how to get involved and what you'd be doing:

Volunteer Opportunities

Online Trail Maintenance Manual

quote:
Sorry to keep bringing this topic up, but I'm glad it has generated some interest in helping the NY/NJ Trail Conferance. I just sent in my membership fee and contacted Brian regarding taking on a section of trail (the kids are really excited about it too!!)

It's a great topic. There are already new maintainers out there because of it. I think anybody who volunteers will really enjoy it. You tend to get very attached to "your" trail and it's nice when hikers see you with clippers, or a paint can and approach you to thank you for your efforts.

BTW, there are several new trails out there in the Ramapos. Not on any maps yet, but I have some caches packed and ready to go. I think people will really enjoy the hike involved to get to each one (and parts of the new trails were made possible thanks to my Garmin).

I perform maintenance as a member of the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club (PATC) on the Bull Run/Occoquan Trail (BROT). My section is from Rt 28 to Little Rocky Run (basically in Centerville and Clifton VA). Since we will be leaving the NoVA area in the next few months, this section (only ~1.5 miles) will need a new overseer.

As stated above the duties are not all that difficult - clearing back brush, cleaning water traps, some trail marking, etc. It's a great opportunity to give back to the trails and there are some side benefits as well.

If anyone is interested please let me know. You do need to be a member of the PATC or you can join for ~$25.

Success is not measured by the position one has reached in life, rather by the obstacles overcome while trying to succeed.

- Booker T. Washington

We regularly perform trailwork with the Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) Delaware Valley Chapter. Particularly we work along the Appalachian Trail (AT) between Wind Gap and Little Gap. This included two spurs leading to the AT. Please note that there are currently four geocaches along the AT in this area.

Since we also hike in North Jersey and the Harriman area we are also members of the NYNJTC, although have not performed trail work with them.

If you're not part of a club that does trail maintenance and would like to lend a hand, check out National Public Lands day at NPLD.com. If you're in NJ and worried about losing a good day of caching, take note that there is a session at Hartshorne Woods in Middletown (Monmouth County). There are several caches in and around the park. M will be there!

Thanks,

JandM

The Bardmin and I just got back from a relocation of the Long Path near West Point. We had a great time. We could only spend 3 hours helping out.

Great people and a great learning experience.

Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own.

Sydney J. Harris

A congratulations to Mxyzptlk, who has been appointed supervisor of two of the most popular hiking destinations in northern NJ. I won't say exactly where, but I will say he has Cauldrons of Courage for accepting this responsibility and we should all say Tank You! Tank You!

Edited by briansnat