Guess where the cache is

Ma & Pa

Always loved this log on one of our caches. These cachers have over 16 000 finds.

Didn't find it

20 Aug 11

Second time I looked. No joy. Nice old pump however.

There was cache near me years ago that was a fake benchmark (it was an illegal cache by today's standards... the container was in a buried piece of PVC pipe). I remember the day I got a notification of a DNF that said "Didn't find the cache, but did find the nearby benchmark." :lol:

I don't know if I want to mention mine recent one because it was from a cacher who posts on here. If he reads this he knows who he is in WA. If you want to say what happened I give you my permission but don't give too much details.

But there is two I have mentioned before.

A flat magnet under a bench that matches the shape, color and texture of the bench. I see so many logs of repeat visits and all they see is a bench with I assume they thought it was a nano or keyholder.

The other one where a Charter member DNFd one of mine. It is a black flat magnet on the black guts of a phone booth. In plain view and most real experienced cachers would easily see it. Wrong! The color was glossy and the guts was flat black. So I don't know how so many missed it. The Charter member DNFd a few times. Put a NM and then a NA. I knew it was there but I went and checked and I didn't even have to get out of my car to see the cache was fine. I looked up the Charter member and it seemed they mostly just looked for easy caches.

It seems the posters are amused that their hides were so cleverly disguised that searchers *saw the cache* but didn't realize it was a cache.

Hello, Captain Obvious!

:P

B.

Actually in our case it really wasn't cleverly disguised. I was surprised that the experienced cachers did not look in the obvious spot and find the film canister with a magnet inserted in the short spout of the pump

I was guilty of that error at least once. The site was windmill in rural Nebraska, and the cache did not attact many geocachers.

I walked up to it and saw the magnetic half of a keyholder box attached to one of the legs. "It was here, but it's gone," I thought, and wrote that in my DNF log.

The owner took pity and told me to look again. A year or two later, I was back on thst road, followed his hint, and found the cache concealed in apparent piece of trash.

But he never admitted whether the partial MKH was a deliberate distraction or not.