Anyone else have trouble with the Good King's Caches?

mr.magoo

Well I just started caching this fall and have snagged a number of caches in the past few weeks. my 3 sons (Team Narf) love hunting as well. Most of the ones we have done, weren't to difficult, but in an effort to do all the ones in the area, we have encountered 3 cache's hid by the insidious King Pellinore. I first tried "minute" which was an easy walk and very close to work. I have been back a number of times without success. I also tried Trollbane and the Teddy Roosevelt. I searched for about an hour for Teddy without success, then proceeded on to "revenge on the king" and found that one in 10-15 minutes. I love a good hunt and walking the swamp was actually not bad, but I just cant seem to find the King's cache's! Maybe after finding the first one, it will reveal how he thinks. Just wondering if you all find his cache's difficult as well?

Mr. Magoo

The only one I've looked for so far (unsuccessfully) is Minute. Like you, I work pretty close to it, but have yet to make a second attempt. Eternal Reward is very close to where I live, but I forgot to get the coords from For Kids and Dogs so I haven't gone after that one yet.

I've also been thinking I'll go after his easier ones first in the hope of learning his mindset.

----------

"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up." - Lily Tomlin

So far I've only been to King Pellinore's three easiest caches: Eternal Reward, Good Fortune and Rotating Beacon. (archived) If you are not having any luck with the more difficult ones, you might try Good Fortune.

I also took a look at Trollsbane but did not see the cache from one direction so I figured it would be futile to grope for it from the other direction. Coordinates were about 50 feet away from the structure in which I thought it would be. It's got to be still there because someone has found it but I passed on it.

Minute has never been along the way to any other cache, which is my excuse anyway. icon_smile.gif

Wheretogo?Vertigo! Got it first.

A B C (now known as The Teddy Roosevelt) This one, too.

Trollsbane Yup, ditto. The Good King even tipped Mopar off early about it; I met him heading in to find it on my way out. icon_smile.gif

Minute Got it. This was the King's hardest one. It would have been easier to spot if I had been wearing my reading glasses instead of my driving glasses. icon_wink.gif

Mopar Automotive Sent some nice verification photos; I've got a "winged bullet" bumperette on my desk as a paperweight.

Good Fortune Got it, at its second (its current) location.

Eternal Reward Yup.

Rotating Beacon Pretty hard to miss. Too bad it didn't last.

Yep; they were all easy-as-pie. I loved doing them and the Good King hates me. icon_wink.gif

Well, maybe they weren't all that easy ... but they have definitely all been well worth doing! icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on November 15, 2002 at 04:18 PM.]

I have nothing personal against KP. From his cache logs, he seems to be quite the jolly person I'd like to meet and hang out with.

However.

When I search for "my closest caches", or whatever it is. The first 25 are cleared out. The second page contains mostly KP caches. I tend to avoid them, because they sound more difficult than I can deal with. I was eyeing up Vertigo for a long time, and heaved a sigh of relief when it was disabled icon_smile.gif

I actually searched for two - Eternal Rest, but I messed up on that one. We went to search for Rotating Beacon the day after it was archived, and guess what? We had dated printouts! That lesson taught me to always double-check.

----------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be also be like him.

Here's my 2 cents, when searching for Minute, think of the smallest possible cache. This one is even smaller. It took 4 of us 45 minutes or so to find the cache and we searched the immediate cache area 5 or 6 times until we found it.

Wheretogo Vertigo, is gone, in fact we tried this one twice and where there after the cache had vanished.

As for good fortune, this hunt was fairly easy ... except I don't know it the cache with the 'tudes still exsist. Perhaps the good king my replace those.

And now for the funny part, not until I read this post with BP's reply did I realize that the Ash Brook Cache had been renamed to the Ted Roosevelt, I guess that's a no find for us too ... never made it close enough, we're not big fans of the swampy caches ... fear of the Jersey Devil I guess.

Well, after I posted above. I went out to revisit 1 of the Kings caches I mentioned above. Teddy is to far out in the swamp to go again, unless im prepared and have a clue. The hour I spent searching that site yielded me no cache. Minute I've checked several times hoping the sparser leaf cover will give me a better pinpoint each trip. I drive by the park on my way to work so once a week or so I give that one a shot. So, that left Trollsbane. Went out there today and I did indeed find that cache. With the right equipment this is a not so bad one. Alas Magoo brought no equipment and it was quite a challenge. hmmmm..... You say the minute is small... smaller than a 35mm film canister??

BP, I have only tried the three I mentioned above because of their proximity to my location. Ill have to head a little further and try some of the others. Still just a rookie though, so it may be a while before I try icon_biggrin.gif

pie!?! Easy as pie eh? Well mr Basoonpilot I think I've got to place one more! Although I notice you haven't been to Flying Instruments... I don't hate you sir.

Royguy, keep looking! It's out there. . .

Azog, I'm sure they're not that bad

EKitt10, thanks I love your description

MrMagoo, yes it's smaller than a film can but I think you know that by now.

Briansnat, I can't believe I haven't seeked ANY of your 40 caches! I'll rectify that at my first opportunity!

King Pellinore

Good Fortune was a little harder then I expected. My first "King" find was the uneventfull "Rotating Beacon", but after doing "Good Fortune" I am psyched to do more of His Majesty's caches. I see that the infamous ABC cache is now MIA but I'm game if it is replaced. I work in Edison and have been inspired by mr.magoo's recent assult of the local caches - espically the 3-4 star verity!

quote:
Originally posted by StayFloopy:

quote:
Originally posted by Skully & Mulder et al.:

Thats what I'll be if I keep taking long lunches and leaving work early to find caches.

You too, huh? icon_smile.gif

Well, keep it up! Geocaching is more important! Screw your boss and his dumb job!

PS: Where do you two work so I can submit an application?

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.