Placing a Letterbox Hybrid

74vwBus

I wanted to place my first letterbox. I have the following: Birdhouse as container. A rubber stamp, a logbook, a inkpad, and a pen. Do I need anything else to make it an official Letterbox? Thanks

Post it on geocaching.com? :laughing:

....and on Atlasquest.com :ph34r:

If you want it to be more like a "traditional" letterbox, you'll need to have a "significant" portion where your GPS is used, and then directions using landmarks or other identifiable features to guide your seeker to the cache.

As stated above, traditional letterboxes give directions to the box, mostly in the form of clues in a story. With a birdhouse as a container, you can tell a story about meeting a bird at the coordinates you post on the cache page, then weave a tale of how you followed the bird (maybe it's a talking bird that wanted you to visit his house) through a a park, pointing out landmarks you pass by or turn at to lead the story reader along the same path you took to get to the cache.

The inkpad is not necessary and could potentially cause problems. Most letterboxes do not have them and people carry their own pad or pads. If you include one, keep it in a separate bag so that if there is a problem, the other things will be protected.

This site does not impose any particular requirements, but ideally, the stamp you use will be carved, custom made, or at least thematic. Let geocachers know that the stamp is not a trade item. In my LBH caches, I put separate logbooks (and separate explanation sheets) for caching and letterboxing.

Try to make it a box that letterboxers will enjoy. And then cross-list it on Atlas and letterboxing.org so that more people will appreciate the "LB" part of the cache. The birdhouse idea could be a fun one.

Edited by geodarts

The inkpad is not necessary and could potentially cause problems. Most letterboxes do not have them and people carry their own pad or pads. If you include one, keep it in a separate bag so that if there is a problem, the other things will be protected.

This site does not impose any particular requirements, but ideally, the stamp you use will be carved, custom made, or at least thematic. Let geocachers know that the stamp is not a trade item. In my LBH caches, I put separate logbooks (and separate explanation sheets) for caching and letterboxing.

Try to make it a box that letterboxers will enjoy. And then cross-list it on Atlas and letterboxing.org so that more people will appreciate the "LB" part of the cache. The birdhouse idea could be a fun one.

They must have changed the rules. We tried to put out letterboxes while back and were told they had to have a stamp. GC may not require them now but cachers expect them. I recently put one out and it had a stamp but just a regular logsheet. Someone complained it didn't have a letterbox logbook.

They must have changed the rules. We tried to put out letterboxes while back and were told they had to have a stamp. GC may not require them now but cachers expect them...

Hasn't changed.

Geodarts didn't mention stamps other than their preference of a carved or custom one.

Having a stamp is the only thing required for the cache to be a letterbox hybrid.

An ink pad though, isn't necessary. :)

a inkpad,

I'll second those who've said "no inkpad". Letterboxers carry their own, and rarely leave them in boxes. They dry out, or they get wet and make a terrible mess.

Geocachers don't need to take your stamp impression, they're not carrying a book to save stamp impressions.

If you leave stamp and ink pad, your logbook will be full of your own stamp impression. Geocachers should just sign it, like any other log.

Re birdhouse, hang it, don't nail it.

Re cache listing. It must have GPS use. Not parking coords plus story line. Be sure that at some point, you offer coords for a discrete location, necessary to the cache hunt.

Cache at coords is fine for a Geocaching.com listing.

a inkpad,

I'll second those who've said "no inkpad". Letterboxers carry their own, and rarely leave them in boxes. They dry out, or they get wet and make a terrible mess.

Geocachers don't need to take your stamp impression, they're not carrying a book to save stamp impressions.

Like this one?

b52200a7-6109-4619-96f5-3eba46bde4ea.jpg

I'm not really a letterboxer, but the LBH caches I've found have had stamp pads. I've appreciated them, because I've been able to create an improvised stamp of my own for the log book.

But they should be protected from moisture and leaks. And I would understand if the owner thought it better not to include one.

I do. I have a book with all the stamp impressions from every LBH that had a stamp inside. Sadly, many did not.

+1 I don't letterbox (outside geocaching.com), but I keep a booklet that I carry and stamp every letterbox hybrid stamp I find in it.