Snow

There is no sure way to tell. Perhaps recent logs on the cache may give a clue. If it's been found recently, then unless there was a significant snowfall in the interim, it is probably available. There is also the "Available in Winter" attribute winter-yes.gif, but there is some disagreement among people who use it as to precisely what it means.

Sometimes you just have to try and prepare to take that DNF. I've often surprised myself by finding caches under snow, sometimes several feet of it. It takes some luck and some experience but usually isn't impossible.

I'm moving this to the general forum where experienced cachers may be able to provide additional assistance.

There is no sure way to tell. Perhaps recent logs on the cache may give a clue. If it's been found recently, then unless there was a significant snowfall in the interim, it is probably available. There is also the "Available in Winter" attribute winter-yes.gif, but there is some disagreement among people who use it as to precisely what it means.

Sometimes you just have to try and prepare to take that DNF. I've often surprised myself by finding caches under snow, sometimes several feet of it. It takes some luck and some experience but usually isn't impossible.

I'm moving this to the general forum where experienced cachers may be able to provide additional assistance.

Agreed! If it's been found recently, that's the BIG clue and reading logs helps. Oh, and bring a small shovel! :D:D:D

Have fun and try searching for the regular on up sizes. :D:D:D

Sometimes you can follow tracks and see where people dug down into the snow to find a cache, and it can be easier (but usually isn't!) One time years ago I needed a cache to fill a calendar day in January in the middle of the Adirondack mountains where we were skiing. There was only one cache reasonably nearby, and it was NOT winter accessible. I got lucky and dug through 3 feet of snow and found a film canister at the base of a tree. It was great fun to ski out a few miles to find that little sucker.

Even if you don't find a cache in winter, you usually (I hope!) still had fun.

La plupart des géocacheurs au Québec utilisent l'attribut "disponible l'hiver" si leur cache est placée assez haut pour ne pas être sous la neige (et il n'y a pas des tones de neige cette année.

Petit conseil : je vous suggère de suivre les traces qui reviennent de la cache, plutôt que celles qui vont vers la cache. Ça vous donnera souvent le chemin le plus court vers la cache, puisque la plupart des géocacheurs tournent en rond en cherchant, puis retournent en ligne droite jusqu'au sentier après avoir trouvé la cache :lol:

Petit conseil : je vous suggère de suivre les traces qui reviennent de la cache, plutôt que celles qui vont vers la cache. Ça vous donnera souvent le chemin le plus court vers la cache, puisque la plupart des géocacheurs tournent en rond en cherchant, puis retournent en ligne droite jusqu'au sentier après avoir trouvé la cache :lol:

+1

We've done that. :)

Agreed! If it's been found recently, that's the BIG clue and reading logs helps. Oh, and bring a small shovel! :D:D:D

Have fun and try searching for the regular on up sizes. :D:D:D

I thought you were hibernating. :ph34r: One of the first prolific cache placers in my area, who hid about 40 caches in 2002 and 2003 (that was a crapload for one owner in those days) always made it a point to make his caches "winter accessable", and state so on the cache page. Usually this meant off the ground, although that doesn't mean it couldn't still be buried in a foot of snow in the crotch of a multi-trunked tree. But that did rub off on other people, including myself, for quite a few years. Ultimately, I'd say look for the accessable in winter attribute, or whatever it's official name is. The people who use it are going out of their way to use it, so they SHOULD know what they're talking about.

+1

We've done that. :)

Ah, but then you can also follow tracks in the snow (or even regular geotrails) of people who are going the wrong way, and send you on a wild goose chase. Done that. :laughing:

Yep, done that too. :laughing:

My other 2/3rds used to walk all over the place, as a way to kinda throw off and curb the folks who'd just follow our tracks, some (by logs) not even using their GPSr to find caches.

One year, we had two families who'd head out the next day following our tracks, and their caches found were identical the entire Winter. :)

I thought it'd be a great idea once to pick up a handheld metal detector (Garrett) to find caches in the snow.

The full size ones we have didn't fare well (kinda fragile) for hoofing it in the woods.

Turned out to be great for ammo cans, but with all the plastic containers these days, not so much.

Awesome for those pesky bisons in pine trees though. :laughing: