Cache Logs While Mobile

Fawkes2574

Greetings all....

My name is Michael and I am relatively new to geocaching. I was introduced to it by an old friend of mine back in 2006 and my interest was piqued for a short while. And I finally got around to creating my own account, ready to take up the adventure myself now that my son is old enough. We currently live in Ocala in Central Florida and are well on our way to developing our numbers. We just recently discovered a few travel bugs, our first ones, a couple of days ago. We've had a few hits & misses and I sometimes find myself thinking about this new found hobby, and what ways can be done to improving it. Which leads me to this thread.

Traditionally, a user signs a paper log hidden with the cache, and will log that they found it online either at that location if they have a mobile device, or on a computer at home later on. Sometimes, you have the location & nearby area to yourself to sign that log sheet. Other times, not so much, especially in areas where it can be very difficult to be stealthy. Since geocaching has started, our technology has advanced a bit. Back in 2006, my friend had used a handheld GPS device to be able to track the coordinates of the caches he was looking for. During my adventures, I have simply used my tablet and the geo cache app to track the 10 that I have found so far. With the production of the iPhone, we were brought into the age of smartphones that enable us to find caches in ingenious new ways.

Now, what if there was a way that we could log our caches with the devices that we use to find them? As we all know, smartphone apps have ways of scanning different bar codes such as UPC and QR bar codes. My suggestion would be, for current and future caches, to include either a QR or UPC like bar code that can be attached or stamped onto the cache case, and that code would have ALL of the information associated with that particular cache such as location, coordinates, the user who hid it originally, and its website. Scanning it with the geocache app automatically logs it onto the site, and BOOM! Done. I am not saying to completely replace the paper logs, because those would be handy for those who either want to cache the traditional way, or cannot get a stable signal in the area of the cache. I also suggest this, if the geocache app is not getting a stable signal, then it should designed to still be able to scan the bar code, and hold it until the device can pick up a stable signal to be able to log it. I have seen other apps for completely different tasks being able to do something similar. Being able to quickly scan it would really be helpful when you are trying to be stealthy in your hunts for these caches. Can this idea be put into works, and if so, feel free to pass it along to those in charge. Otherwise, just let me know. But what does anyone else here think?

Edited by Ferro'sofOcala

This recent thread has a similar suggestion: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=329229

There was another thread recently about it, too - saying that then you wouldn't have soggy logs - but I can't find it right now.

Basically, the position is "no" because codes can be passed around. The paper log is the proof that you were there and that you didn't find the code on the Internet. :) And what would people without phones do? They'd need a paper log to sign, anyway. And... and... and...

It seems like a great idea until you dig into it a bit further. :)

Piqued, not peaked.

For many of us, geocaching still involves dedicated handheld GPS devices, not delicate phones that don't work outside of urban centres and fizzle out when you drop them in the mud.

As others have noted, there are other games that use scannable codes. The tactile element of geocaching - finding a container, signing the log - is pretty crucial to the experience and one of the major things that differentiates it from those other location-based games.

Many cache owners already resent the level of automation we already have in the game, because new users are totally disconnected from the entire concept of logging. I don't think you'll see much support for something that further alienates finders and hiders from each other.

Those who are so inclined can already use mobile phones to post logs immediately, using either the web site in a mobile browser, or one of the many geocaching apps available. The only thing this suggestion would really add is the QR code or UPC code.

And QR codes or UPC codes are really just a high-tech version of the keywords that were tried (and abandoned) in geocaching's early days.

I think it would be cool if you scanned it and it automatically sent the CO a "TFTC" That way I wouldn't have to bother with finding those letters on my phone keypad or go home and figure it out on my computer!

Sorry that is the response I would expect to see here. It is a good Idea and one many have thought of but it would just change what we all like about this game to much to be practical.

I think it would be cool if you scanned it and it automatically sent the CO a "TFTC"
You can do that already, without the need to scan anything. Many mobile apps allow the user to specify a default log (sometimes called a "signature"). Just put "TFTC" in your default log and you can post that as your log without needing to enter any text.

Well thanks for the responses. I was not aware that there is another version of the game that does that. I see that the current way is the more traditional way and I can definitely respect that.

Yeah, you were about 4 1/2 years too late in inventing that other game. :lol:

Yep, we're all traditional around here, with the paper log, and sign the log, and that kind of stuff. Will it eventually become way too old fashioned and traditional, and be our downfall? It would take several more years, but it's possible.

As a cache owner I'd be sad to see a QR Code style of log become the norm. I got tired of M ownership pretty fast. I put some thought and creativity into each of my placements. The response from the finders was nothing...just an alert that someone scanned the code. Initially, one or two old-timer geocachers spent the time to also leave a nice log. Once they passed through the area the rest of the finders scanned and went. But that's the M game, it's about scoring. Trying to make it more than that is futile. Hopefully the geocaching game won't follow suit. Although it is and has generally become about scoring, there are enough players that try to make it a fuller experience, that the pastime is still interesting for me, both as a finder and a cache owner.

I have found cards and other things in caches already with the QR codes on them. Geocacher's cards with a QR code that take your phone straight to the profile page or their specific website. There is an ammo can in one of the surrounding counties around here that has a large QR code on the inside of the lid. It takes you to the CO's profile page or the theme of the cache or something I don't remember now. One of the items we keep with us to give to muggles or police asking questions, or to drop in caches, is a laminated Muggle Card done up nicely that explains geocaching. After seeing the QR codes in some other caches we incorporated a QR code onto the muggle cards that takes them to geocaching.com

Although we are newer to geocaching, I also agree with the others here that opening an actual container and signing a real log is part of the attraction to this game. The oldest cache in this area is a cache named Big Pine Cache just south of Amelia Island. It has the original log book from 2001 inside; talk about fun! Finding that thing sitting way out there all by itself and then seeing a log book with the original signatures. Man, I want to go out and find a cache now.