Geocaching dot com staging site?

DarkZen

That big yellow banner at the top seems to have some info...did you read it? Even the just first sentence?

Snarky much?

That banner seems to say what the websites for. "You are currently using a test site...." One would imagine that means it's a test website.

Right, but not every person knows what a "test website" is for.... And those in the dark wonder about mysterious agendas....or even just being out of the loop....

:o

1421006006[/url]' post='5462845']
1421005589[/url]' post='5462841']
1421003641[/url]' post='5462830']

That big yellow banner at the top seems to have some info...did you read it? Even the just first sentence?

Snarky much?

That banner seems to say what the websites for. "You are currently using a test site...." One would imagine that means it's a test website.

Did you read my OP? I didn't ask what it was, I asked what it was for. Yes, I saw it was a test website. I was wondering what it is testing for.

Most likely, it's something they keep around indefinitely, and update it periodically with the latest-and-greatest when it becomes available, a short time before releasing it to the general public on the regular site. It would run with a separate, isolated copy of the database, which would typically be out of date and thus decaying rapidly. Changes to this DB wouldn't be pushed to the real DB.

...from my experience in this business.

1421006006[/url]' post='5462845']
1421005589[/url]' post='5462841']
1421003641[/url]' post='5462830']

Snarky much?

Did you read my OP? I didn't ask what it was, I asked what it was for. Yes, I saw it was a test website. I was wondering what it is testing for.

Testing out new features of course, and playing around with stuff you don't want to mess with live. I once had a test server for a website I run, but it cost me about the same per month as the website itself, so I got rid of it after about 3 months. :lol: It was excessively easy to create, I just had to create a new server and "clone" the website with a few mouse clicks via my ISP's control panel.

Testing out new features of course, and playing around with stuff you don't want to mess with live.

I think when they were first working on Lab caches they put them live on the test site, so we could log onto it and have a look at some demo Lab caches. Anything we did on the test site wouldn't affect our live accounts - I've logged onto the test site a few times, but it seems to be down right now.