For those that download directly to GPSr

rovers3

This is a question for those that know about and/or download the GPX file directly to your GPSr by copying the files to the correct location on your unit.

How do you handle the corrected coords of say puzzle caches when you have quite a number solved but not yet found?

I have used GSAK on a stand alone old windows computer running XP, but this is a bit of a nuisance as it is very slow. I have been using an iMac for a number of years and have found that the copying of PQ's directly from the computer to the unit (Montana 650) saves a lot of time except for the solved puzzle caches.

Any help here will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Perhaps not the easiest or best way, we simply hand-enter the coordinates as a waypoint making the waypoint name (name-x or GCxxxxx-x) same as the cache. East enough to switch to that waypoint, find the cache then switch back to the cache for logging the find.

Once entered into the unit, it's always there... aside from some calamity happening to the unit... just waitin' to be used.

I suppose that if you do them by the hundreds, it would be cumbersome.

As described above, you can click on the little pencil icon on the cache listing page and enter the corrected coordinates there. From then on anytime you are logged in under your own account those are the coordinates you will see. Those are also the coordinates that will be downloaded to your device. Everyone else will still see the original coordinates, you will only see the corrected coordinates when logged in on your own account.

Whatever else - make those 100 a priority! Too often, I've found that I leave solved puzzles to sit for far too long, and they get archived before I get around to them!

Like you, I use GSAK - also on an XP box. I keep a separate database of my solved puzzles (with corrected coordinates) that I merge into my main 'PQ' load each week. That way, I see them on my 'routing map' and don't keep forgetting them as badly as I once did!

Not sure why it is running so slow for you. I can run it on my little cheesy ASUS netbook and get good results.

In addition to correcting the coordinates on the cache page, I also created a Bookmark list of all solved / in progress puzzles.

+1

Bookmark list of solved puzzles becomes its own PQ. Other PQ's leave puzzles out. That way I only have my solved puzzles with the corrected coordinates with me.

No GSAK required (useful for us Mac/Linux/Unix people).

"Bookmark list of solved puzzles becomes its own PQ. Other PQ's leave puzzles out. That way I only have my solved puzzles with the corrected coordinates with me."

The only problem that I see with this is that there are many caches listed as unknown where the cache is at the posted coords, such as challenge caches.

"Bookmark list of solved puzzles becomes its own PQ. Other PQ's leave puzzles out. That way I only have my solved puzzles with the corrected coordinates with me."

The only problem that I see with this is that there are many caches listed as unknown where the cache is at the posted coords, such as challenge caches.

I add those to the bookmark list too, as well as puzzles that are to be solved in the field. The main thing is that I don't want my GPS to tell me there's a puzzle nearby and I'm not sure if it's one I've solved. This way I know that if any mystery caches show up, they are at the coordinates in my device.

+1 to the above, though done via GSAK instead. I do not pull down any ? caches in PQs. Only those for which I have corrected coordinates, or where the originals are already correct, go into the database to be loaded to the unit. The same is true for planning a caching day since the same database is used -- I only see ? caches on the map for which correct location information is already in hand.