Crap in a cache

Polgara

I'm new to caching, and just wondered what everyone else's opinion is on this topic. If you found a cache and inside you found dead batteries or ketchup packets from fast food places, etc., would it be wrong to help these things find their way to the trash?

...Just wondering...

True-North

I agree 100%. Get rid of the garbage. I know when I check up on my caches, I too get some very unwanted material in them and I chuck them in the trash. I believe if it is not suppose to be there than do the cache owner a favor and get rid of it. Every geocacher knows that any kind of food doesn't belong in the caches but they still manage to leave it. That's how some caches get destroyed. When will people ever learn?

When I first saw this post I thought you were talking about crap in a cache in the literal sense. One of my last caches found had a big, um, pile right next to it. Once I opened the cache and looked inside I sort of understood why someone would react in that way. It was full of junk, had standing water in the bottom, etc. I cleaned out everything that was rendered worthless, dried out the container, and added in almost all of the goodies I had with me. At least the person who left the load didn't put it in the cache, only next to it.

Where am I going? I don't quite know.

What does it matter where people go?

Down to the wood where the blue-bells grow-

Anywhere, anywhere. I don't know.

-A.A. Milne

I usually bring a bag full of trade items with me. If I find something like that (and unfortunately it's not all that rare), I'll remove the junk and leave several decent items to spice the cache up for the next finders. But only if the container is in good shape. I'm not going to leave decent stuff where they're only going to get ruined shortly.

"Paternalism is the greatist despotism" - Emmanual Kant

seems to be if you cache and cache responisbly for the sake of the sport/hobby make sure you carry supplies. Carry cache items, extra baggies, a blank log, pencils and pens. In other words anything a traditional cache may need for replacement. Although it may seem that you are giving more than receiving you are making geocaching in whole very good for everyone and yourself included. So my answer is dump the obvious trash and replace if you can and note this so that the cache owner can appreciate the fact his/her cache has been assisted and may give you thanks for the helpful hand. Also if someone helps your cache a polite email of thanks is appropriate and promotes the comradeship of the hobby.

Wags, Russ & Erin

quote:
Originally posted by deadhorsepoint:

i hope the smell isn't intented to cover up something geniunely vile, like a michael jackson cd.

I normally don't do this, but that really deserved a LOL.

----------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be also be like him.