Cache up a tree

GeekKitty

Am I permitted within the rules (and the law in the UK), to hide a cache up a tree?

J

Depends. We are not supposed to do any damage to trees- nails, that sort of thing. If you can hang it it would be fine. As for the law, well that's different. Being unfamiliar with the UK laws, I can't say, but you also have to be more specific. There are local laws to follow as well.

Just keep in mind people will log it as found without signing it. "I saw it but couldn't reach it." Some will do it, some will say that's what they did. Personally I would delete any logs that say they didn't sign, but I won't go audit the logbook against online logs, just to do that. My thinking is if you admit to not playing by the rules, don't complain when someone does something about it. But thats beyond your question...

I want to hide more caches on trees. Not the sort that require equipment, just the grab branches and go for it sort. I don't though because I fear the person who falls out of the tree. Just the process of determining liability keeps me from doing it.

We in the UK are not in the habit of suing anyone and everyone just because you stub your toe.

Am I permitted within the rules (and the law in the UK), to hide a cache up a tree?

J

If you having any doubts about placing a cache up a tree then discuss the location with the landowner when you ask permission. We are currently negotiating a landowner agreement with our local County Council (in UK). I broached the subject of tree climbing and they are fine with it. I may be wrong but I think that any responsibility lies with the seeker themselves so long as you make them fully aware of any risks involved in your cache description.

Edited by KK112

I want to hide more caches on trees. Not the sort that require equipment, just the grab branches and go for it sort. I don't though because I fear the person who falls out of the tree. Just the process of determining liability keeps me from doing it.

We in the UK are not in the habit of suing anyone and everyone just because you stub your toe.

Has been known. (And, yes, here in the UK)