Geocaching on Amazing Race Canada..........almost

Roman!

On tonight's episode of Amazing Race Canada the detour options were to find 10 geocaches in a 2000 square meter area (that's less than the size of a football field) and they get a GPS.

The other option was running through beach mud creating a signal flag code.

They all thought geocaching was confusing and chose the beach mud flag thing.

Link

Yeah, I've often been surprised at the choices some of the teams make when they get to a Detour. But then again, I've just seen video of both tasks being performed, and the teams have to choose based only on the written descriptions of the tasks in their instruction packets. I can understand teams picking a familiar "safe" task rather than a confusing "risky" task.

And there have been plenty of teams eliminated by "find the xyzzy" tasks that have turned out to be horrible needle-in-a-haystack marathons. Unless I was fairly confident that I could find the geocaches, I might choose the flag option too. Sure, I enjoy spending hours searching for a D4 camouflaged cache, but when $1M is on the line, maybe not...

Yeah, I've often been surprised at the choices some of the teams make when they get to a Detour. But then again, I've just seen video of both tasks being performed, and the teams have to choose based only on the written descriptions of the tasks in their instruction packets. I can understand teams picking a familiar "safe" task rather than a confusing "risky" task.

And there have been plenty of teams eliminated by "find the xyzzy" tasks that have turned out to be horrible needle-in-a-haystack marathons. Unless I was fairly confident that I could find the geocaches, I might choose the flag option too. Sure, I enjoy spending hours searching for a D4 camouflaged cache, but when $1M is on the line, maybe not...

I am very mathematical and 2000 square meters is 40 meters by 50 meters, would make sense this challenge would be quite easy, I can see the number 2000 being intimidating but a bit of thought and you'd have the obvious choice.

...but when $1M is on the line, maybe not...

This is the Canada version -- cash prize is only $250,000. (And that's Canadian dollars.)

True, but after he Americans pay taxes on their winnings, we Canadians will end up with more in our pockets (depending which state they use to pay taxes.)

But it's all paid in slippery plastic money that's going to slip out of your pocket before you have a chance to spend it. If I recall there was a GPS related task on the U.S. version a few years ago. I think they had to find a person and some teams had trouble doing that.

I was the geocacher that created that detour. They contacted Cache Up NB in February and we agreed to do the challenge for them. I spent two days setting it up and also tested it multiple times the day before with the producers to ensure it was exactly what they wanted. There were 15 caches total and 12 of them had items to collect. It was much larger than a football field, all in the woods and took me about 45 minutes to do, knowing where every thing was. They were provided with a brand new Garmin 64 with the caches preloaded and given a two minute crash course and sent on their way, if they had chosen us...lol. It was a lot of fun setting up and I am disappointed that they all went the other way but that is the way it goes.

Yah, I was happy with the outcome too :lol:

Spoiler Request. What was the outcome?

We were too busy getting outdoors and/or solving caching puzzles to watch... ;)

The team I hated was eliminated.

We used our PVR to watch it after finding a cache.

Ha, my answer would gave been identicall.

I was the geocacher that created that detour. They contacted Cache Up NB in February and we agreed to do the challenge for them. I spent two days setting it up and also tested it multiple times the day before with the producers to ensure it was exactly what they wanted. There were 15 caches total and 12 of them had items to collect. It was much larger than a football field, all in the woods and took me about 45 minutes to do, knowing where every thing was. They were provided with a brand new Garmin 64 with the caches preloaded and given a two minute crash course and sent on their way, if they had chosen us...lol. It was a lot of fun setting up and I am disappointed that they all went the other way but that is the way it goes.

That sounds cool, but too bad not one chose it, any idea how long the other task took?

That sounds cool, but too bad not one chose it, any idea how long the other task took?

Over two hours, it would have made a huge difference if they figured it out quickly, the hides were not difficult. We sat there watching them struggle with the flags hoping one would switch.

Over two hours, it would have made a huge difference if they figured it out quickly, the hides were not difficult. We sat there watching them struggle with the flags hoping one would switch.

Too bad you couldn't laugh at them:)

The girls almost did switch.

Congratulations, Rev Slippery! My wife and I enjoy watching the Amazing Race (both versions) and we were also disappointed that none of the teams chose the geocaching detour. They had no idea how much more fun they would have had, especially after all the hard work you and your team put into creating it. Their choice really was a tidal "bore".

Edited by luvvinbird

I'm not at all surprised that everyone skipped the geocaching option. Too many unknowns to take such a gamble.

They have to wonder how hard is it to learn to use a GPSr. Do they even know that they'll receive a two-minute crash course? And is that enough help for a team that's not tech savvy? If they have problems, can they ask for additional help? Or will the experts just stand there and smile like they do for many other detours when they're asked questions?

How hard is it to access the cache locations? As far as the contestants know, it could involve crossing rivers, climbing trees, scaling steep slopes.

How well hidden are the caches? Finding three bottles of moonshine hidden in a pile of manure apparently took over an hour. Imagine how hard it could be to find 10 smaller items hidden in a much larger area.

How hard is it to access the cache locations? As far as the contestants know, it could involve crossing rivers, climbing trees, scaling steep slopes.

I wonder how many had heard of geocaching and the perception that it was a game about "buried treasure" and based on previous tasks that required digging figured it could take forever. I have never seen the Canadian version but I've seen the U.S. version and have seen some of the tasks that required digging and for some teams it turned out be what caused them to get eliminated.

I'm surprised that it took all four teams so long to complete the flag detour. One of the first things you learn from watching previous episodes of TAR is to pay attention to details. If the instructions say you must go on foot to the next location, then be sure to go on foot.

There were a couple pairs of flags that looked similar to each other. Why would all four teams assume those pairs were identical? Maybe if the messages required using the same word/phrase twice, then it would make sense to have identical flags. But they didn't. So why wouldn't that raise a red flag (so to speak)?

I could see one team getting tripped up by the similarities, but all four? I guess the race does take its toll, both physically and mentally. So, maybe two teams could make this mistake, but all four? Really?

I'm surprised that it took all four teams so long to complete the flag detour. One of the first things you learn from watching previous episodes of TAR is to pay attention to details. If the instructions say you must go on foot to the next location, then be sure to go on foot.

There were a couple pairs of flags that looked similar to each other. Why would all four teams assume those pairs were identical? Maybe if the messages required using the same word/phrase twice, then it would make sense to have identical flags. But they didn't. So why wouldn't that raise a red flag (so to speak)?

I could see one team getting tripped up by the similarities, but all four? I guess the race does take its toll, both physically and mentally. So, maybe two teams could make this mistake, but all four? Really?

3/4 of the teams looked more physically inclined and the 4th didn't look inclined in any way.

Attention to detail is a skill many do not possess.

Edited by Roman!

Attention to detail isn't a yes/no skill. There are conscious things you can do to pay more attention to details. And if they're racing for $250,000, you'd think most teams would try to focus on details more than they normally would.

Didn't you other post prove it's not as easy as it sounds?

Attention to detail isn't a yes/no skill. There are conscious things you can do to pay more attention to details. And if they're racing for $250,000, you'd think most teams would try to focus on details more than they normally would.

My other post suggested that the geocaching detour could seem more difficult than it probably was.

My other post suggested that the geocaching detour could seem more difficult than it probably was.

Well, if any of them actually had good attention to detail the task would have been easy.

Well, if any of them actually had good attention to detail the task would have been easy.

My husband had a good laugh at the last episode because he actually knows all the nautical flags AND he's a hard-core geocacher.

I've solved at least a couple of puzzle caches related to nautical flags and I've also found that attention to detail is quite helpful when solving puzzle caches in general. Just thought I'd throw that out.

The teams are in a high-stress situation for long periods of time, which will take its toll. When they're stressed enough (sometimes even to the point of panic), tunnel vision can kick in and obvious details can become invisible. We've seen many times in the past where teams will run right past a clue box several times without seeing it. Sitting at home on our couches with a camera focusing on the detail, we don't get a true picture of what the teams are faced with, visually, physically, or mentally.

As for the flags, it appeared to me that they were digging down through the box until they saw a flag that they thought was the correct one, then stopped digging. It wasn't until later that they dug deeper and found the similar one, at which point they all seemed to clue in almost immediately.

BTW, are all New Brunswick caches just sitting out in the open like they appeared to be in the clips for that half of the detour? :laughing:

As for the flags, it appeared to me that they were digging down through the box until they saw a flag that they thought was the correct one, then stopped digging. It wasn't until later that they dug deeper and found the similar one, at which point they all seemed to clue in almost immediately.

Here's some dialog from the two dudes as they were assembling their first attempt.

Mickey: Wait, Pete, isn't this your end [flag]?

Pete: It's right here. There's two of them.

Mickey: Oh. Are they different?

Pete: I don't think so.

I'd be surprised if any of the teams were able to assemble their complete messages (about 17 flags) without coming across two similar flags. As well, images of all the flags were laid out for easy viewing on the code sheets.

The teams are in a high-stress situation for long periods of time, which will take its toll. When they're stressed enough (sometimes even to the point of panic), tunnel vision can kick in and obvious details can become invisible. We've seen many times in the past where teams will run right past a clue box several times without seeing it. Sitting at home on our couches with a camera focusing on the detail, we don't get a true picture of what the teams are faced with, visually, physically, or mentally.

BTW, are all New Brunswick caches just sitting out in the open like they appeared to be in the clips for that half of the detour? :laughing:

We had originally hidden them a lot better but the producers were concerned that it would be too hard. We had a few well camouflaged containers but they made us change them and move them to make them findable and most of them were in parts of the park not open to the public so they were safe out in the open. Most of our caches are in trees due to the amount of snow we get, the winter friendly attribute is used a lot here, which is better than snakes ;)