Letter box stamps

Rayvan43

As a moderator I am tossing a flag on this discussion.

I have no complaints with discussions on letterboxes and how people use them, however many people are bordering on attacks of this cache owner. That will stop or people will get time outs from the forum.

Geocaching is not letterboxing. All that geocaching requires is a stamp. Some people want more, or something different. It is no different that people that do not want city LPCs. However neither is against the rules.

Discuss the topic, stop attacking people.

Geocaching is not letterboxing. All that geocaching requires is a stamp. Some people want more, or something different. It is no different that people that do not want city LPCs. However neither is against the rules.

This could be why there is so much disagreement on this. It has always been understood by myself, and others I have talked with, that letterbox hybrids are suppose to be both. Geocaching and letterboxing. As such they should be correct for both games. Have clues to get to the cache, and have coordinates for those geocaching. Have a stamp and a log book. And I thought they were often listed on both places.

Now I find they are just geocaches no different then a traditional. Live and learn I guess.

I plan on placing some letter boxes and I need a source for stamps.

I don't want to hear from those that are die hard make your own stamps people.

Everyone is free to play the game as they wish.

I was in our local Michaels this weekend and was reminded of this thread as they have many pretty cool stamps currently priced at $1.00. They are in a wide variety of themes including some seasonal halloween ones that might lend themselves to a cool cache series.

They could be found in the 'stamp' area, the 'seasonal' area and the 'one-spotish' area at the front of the store.

Edited by sbell111

They can be puzzles, multis, letterbox style (if there is enough gps use) or traditional. Just add a stamp and you can call it a letterbox.

If they are a puzzle or multi, do they have the puzzle/multi icon, or do they get a letterbox icon?

If they have a letterbox icon, but are a puzzle or multi, it could be quite confusing. Especially for those that want to do a letterbox hybrid, but don't care for puzzles and/or multis.

They can be puzzles, multis, letterbox style (if there is enough gps use) or traditional. Just add a stamp and you can call it a letterbox.

If they are a puzzle or multi, do they have the puzzle/multi icon, or do they get a letterbox icon?

If they have a letterbox icon, but are a puzzle or multi, it could be quite confusing. Especially for those that want to do a letterbox hybrid, but don't care for puzzles and/or multis.

If you choose to publish a cache as a letterbox hybrid, as long as it has a stamp in it, it's a letterbox hybrid and that is the icon it gets.

Yes if you have a stamp and you wish to, you can have the letterbox icon.

The only exception is a Wherigo. If you use a cartridge it is a werigo. Otherwise any cache type with a container can be a letterbox.

The only exception is a Wherigo. If you use a cartridge it is a werigo. Otherwise any cache type with a container can be a letterbox.

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but if you don't do puzzles, and seldom do multis, how would I know what I was getting into if the cache has a letterbox icon, and is a puzzle cache?

This seems counterproductive, as the icons are suppose to give us an idea what we are looking for.

I have found a couple letterbox hybrids, and have enjoyed them. However, I usually will ignore puzzles on my search for caches to go for. (have no problems with them being there for those that want them, but don't usually do them myself.)

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but if you don't do puzzles, and seldom do multis, how would I know what I was getting into if the cache has a letterbox icon, and is a puzzle cache?

This seems counterproductive, as the icons are suppose to give us an idea what we are looking for.

I have found a couple letterbox hybrids, and have enjoyed them. However, I usually will ignore puzzles on my search for caches to go for. (have no problems with them being there for those that want them, but don't usually do them myself.)

I am just stating what the rules are.

As for the rest a quick review of the cache page should tell you.

I don't do most puzzles, however I do challenges and a few simple puzzles. So I review the page to see what I should expect.

Letterbox Hybrid

Letterboxing is another form of treasure hunting that uses clues instead of coordinates. In some cases, the letterbox owner has made their container both a letterbox and a geocache and posted its coordinates on Geocaching.com. These types of geocaches will contain a stamp that is meant to remain in the box and is used by letterboxers to record their visit. To read more about letterboxing, visit Letterboxing North America.

The bold part seems to indicate the letterbox hybrid is meant to be found by both types of players. If it isn't then having a hybrid just doesn't make any sense at all.

It seems to me I should be able then to add an apple (plastic, no food allowed :P )to the cache and call it a fruit basket, or add some plastic eggs and call it an Easter basket.

However, it really doesn't make a difference to me as I am not a letterboxer. However, if I was I would be a bit disappointed if I found a hybrid and it just had a store bought stamp.

As for the rest a quick review of the cache page should tell you.

When a new puzzle comes up in my area, I will sometimes take a quick peek to see if I could do it. I have seen plenty of puzzle cache page write-ups that didn't appear to be a puzzle at all. If it didn't have the puzzle icon, you wouldn't know it was a puzzle until the coordinates put you in the middle of a lake somewhere. Without a proper icon, you may not know what your in for. :P:)

Letterbox Hybrid

Letterboxing is another form of treasure hunting that uses clues instead of coordinates. In some cases, the letterbox owner has made their container both a letterbox and a geocache and posted its coordinates on Geocaching.com. These types of geocaches will contain a stamp that is meant to remain in the box and is used by letterboxers to record their visit. To read more about letterboxing, visit Letterboxing North America.

The bold part seems to indicate the letterbox hybrid is meant to be found by both types of players. If it isn't then having a hybrid just doesn't make any sense at all.

It seems to me I should be able then to add an apple (plastic, no food allowed :P )to the cache and call it a fruit basket, or add some plastic eggs and call it an Easter basket.

However, it really doesn't make a difference to me as I am not a letterboxer. However, if I was I would be a bit disappointed if I found a hybrid and it just had a store bought stamp.

I would not be a bit surprised if the vast majority of letterboxes posted on the letterboxing sites have store bought stamps.

I agree. It would be much better if the LBH were not a cache type. But rather Traditional, Multi, or a Puzzle cache type, then add a stamp attribute.

Personally, I think the letterbox hybrid type has been a failure. Based on past history, Jeremy Irish added the type to offer letterboxers, a place to post their letterboxes. At the time traditional North American letterboxes were posted to the LBNA Yahoo group. (The offer was turned down by Letterboxing North America, and letterboxers were not attracted to the geocaching site). I don't think even Groundspeak understood the importance of the stamp. For approximately a decade the definition of the type said a letterbox "may" have a stamp in it.

After visiting some very disappointing dollar store LBHs (leaky container, strip of paper for a logbook, dollar store 2/$1 stamps) with many Fav Points I realized that people weren't into the creativity of LBHs but rather into the icon. I'm happy to see that most people on this thread want better letterbox hybrid experiences.

Letterbox Hybrid

I would not be a bit surprised if the vast majority of letterboxes posted on the letterboxing sites have store bought stamps.

The vast majority on Atlas Quest (the largest letterboxing site of active letterboxes) are handcarved stamps - 90.4%

Letterbox Hybrid

The vast majority on Atlas Quest (the largest letterboxing site of active letterboxes) are handcarved stamps - 90.4%

Do you have the stats for LBNA? I wouldn't doubt it's 99.99999%. :lol:

I've dabbled in Letterboxing, but haven't found and logged one in over 2 years. I do remember a series in my area of about 12 boxes on AQ with store bought stamps. But I'll say 90% hand carved sounds about right.

I was in our local Michaels this weekend and was reminded of this thread as they have many pretty cool stamps currently priced at $1.00. They are in a wide variety of themes including some seasonal halloween ones that might lend themselves to a cool cache series.

They could be found in the 'stamp' area, the 'seasonal' area and the 'one-spotish' area at the front of the store.

Thanks for your help.

I found some there this weekend a package of 24.

I will have to take another look the Halloween ones sound fun.

I agree. It would be much better if the LBH were not a cache type. But rather Traditional, Multi, or a Puzzle cache type, then add a stamp attribute.
I think that approach makes sense. If attributes existed back then, then maybe Groundspeak would have gone that route.

But one advantage of a separate LBH type is that it makes it a bit more obvious that the stamp is supposed to stay in the cache. With a stamp attribute, more newbies would find letterbox-geocache hybrids and trade for the stamps, especially with traditional caches using the stamp attribute, and especially now that newbies download a phone app and set off with very little understanding of how geocaching is supposed to work.

Maybe you'll get your wish and Groundspeak will add a stamp attribute and grandfather LBH caches at the same time they add a new type for challenge caches. ;)

Forgive me if any of these companies have been suggested already because I've not trawled through the whole thread but we used Tanda stamp. We supplied png of our logo and specified the size in mls across we wanted it. 5 ml in our case. We wanted a stamp to punch in when visiting caches. We chose a sheet size and they (though we didn't know this at the time) crammed as many as they could in that space. So for £6.50 we had years worth of the same stamp. They also sent the duds which they were not happy with, for free. So we have loads of them.

I've looked at their online shop and it seems they have succumbed to the financial climate but they have an explanation page on this link and state they no longer offer this service but list several companies that off the same service. Perhaps one of them will suit your needs. Not checked any of the links but good luck sounds interesting.

http://www.tandastamps.com click this for the company list.

Been through the links now and this one is reasonable - http://www.onestopstamps.co.uk/shop/unmounted-craft-stamps-9/

You will have to cut the stamps from the big sheet yourself and stick them to a bit if wood or plastic whatever. But you do get Taylor made stamps at a low cost.

Edited by Seaglass Pirates

It's best to assume that for any letterbox hybrid, you will need to read the cache description to know what's involved.

Letterbox Hybrid

Do you have the stats for LBNA? I wouldn't doubt it's 99.99999%. :lol:

I've dabbled in Letterboxing, but haven't found and logged one in over 2 years. I do remember a series in my area of about 12 boxes on AQ with store bought stamps. But I'll say 90% hand carved sounds about right.

Unfortunately the LBNA site doesn't provide statistics. Atlas Quest provides some interesting numbers.

I think that the confusion comes from the direction that you are looking at the issue from.

My (probably mistaken) understanding of the letterboxing game (not letterbox geocaches) is that people use clues to figure out where the letterboxes are. Therefore, letterboxes are basically congruent to puzzle caches. So in my mind, while letterbox caches can be 'traditional', the 'default' for them letterboxes would be that they are puzzles or multis of some type. As such, if I definitely wanted to skip puzzles and multis, I would not concentrate on finding letterbox caches right from the jump. Instead, I would know that I'd have to take a quick look at the descriptions of those to identify the ones that were at the listed coordinates and dump the rest to my ignore list.

Letterbox Hybrid

I think that the bit right before your bolding is telling. It allows that the letterbox cache may or may not be listed on both sites. If it were cross listed, it would certainly need to meet the standards of both sites, but if it is not, it wouldn't need to.

Personally, I think the letterbox hybrid type has been a failure. Based on past history, Jeremy Irish added the type to offer letterboxers, a place to post their letterboxes. At the time traditional North American letterboxes were posted to the LBNA Yahoo group. (The offer was turned down by Letterboxing North America, and letterboxers were not attracted to the geocaching site).

One wonders if the decline that your AQ stats show over the last few years is related to growth at GC.com (and the reduced barriers to entry for new geocachers due to the smartphone apps.)

Edited by sbell111
Personally, I think the letterbox hybrid type has been a failure. Based on past history, Jeremy Irish added the type to offer letterboxers, a place to post their letterboxes. At the time traditional North American letterboxes were posted to the LBNA Yahoo group. (The offer was turned down by Letterboxing North America, and letterboxers were not attracted to the geocaching site).

One wonders if the decline that your AQ stats show over the last few years is related to growth at GC.com (and the reduced barriers to entry for new geocachers due to the smartphone apps.)

I don't think any decline at AQ is effected by what goes on at GC. A very small amount of letterboxers also geocache (and visa versa). Can't think of any active letterboxes in my area, accept 2 of mine, that are cross-posted to both sites. There are smartphone apps for letterboxing (Clue Tracker and Box Finder).

I don't think any decline at AQ is effected by what goes on at GC. A very small amount of letterboxers also geocache (and visa versa). Can't think of any active letterboxes in my area, accept 2 of mine, that are cross-posted to both sites. There are smartphone apps for letterboxing (Clue Tracker and Box Finder).

The barrier to entry that I was thinking of was buying a GPSr. This was both a financial opbstacle as well as a delay that no longer exists. Therefore, people who hear about the game can jump right in and try it out.

If the decline at AQ wasn't related to geocaching, one wonders what did cause it.

Edited by sbell111

Just to add something on topic so this topic doesn't get shut down....here's a Design Your Own Custom Stamp site: Addicted to Rubber Stamps - Create Your Own Stamps

Personally, I'm the frugal type. It's much cheaper to use a dollar store vinyl eraser and a number 11 exacto blade/knife (or equivalent). This video has a somewhat intricate image, but if you can carve a potato stamp or a simple halloween pumpkin you can likely carve a stamp from an eraser and save yourself some money.

The barrier to entry that I was thinking of was buying a GPSr. This was both a financial opbstacle as well as a delay that no longer exists. Therefore, people who hear about the game can jump right in and try it out.

If the decline at AQ wasn't related to geocaching, one wonders what did cause it.

The site isn't overly commercial and doesn't advertise the game much. Most letterboxers like to keep it low-key and don't promote letterboxing except among friends. Media attention is generally frowned upon.

Anyway, good question. I'm going to go ask about the decline in the LB forums. Should be interesting to see what the theories are.

I think that the confusion comes from the direction that you are looking at the issue from.

My (probably mistaken) understanding of the letterboxing game (not letterbox geocaches) is that people use clues to figure out where the letterboxes are. Therefore, letterboxes are basically congruent to puzzle caches. So in my mind, while letterbox caches can be 'traditional', the 'default' for them letterboxes would be that they are puzzles or multis of some type. As such, if I definitely wanted to skip puzzles and multis, I would not concentrate on finding letterbox caches right from the jump. Instead, I would know that I'd have to take a quick look at the descriptions of those to identify the ones that were at the listed coordinates and dump the rest to my ignore list.

I have only found 2 letterbox hybrids. One was found in my first month of geocaching,(Jan. 2006)and I didn't even know it was a letterbox hybrid.

The second one was what I had assumed a letterbox hybrid should be. (Pandora's Letterbox, GC3H1CH) The coordinates lead you to parking. The cache page then has letterbox clues, and suggests you can find it using them. It also has the final coordinates listed as an Additional Waypoint, so if you want to find it as a geocache you can.

Perfect combination of the two. Silly me, I thought from what I've read, and heard from others, that should be what they were.

I guess they are something I will just have to generally skip. Like puzzles and multis.

It's best to assume that for any letterbox hybrid, you will need to read the cache description to know what's involved.

As I said earlier, when this was suggested, you cannot always tell by reading the cache description if the cache is a puzzle. You SHOULD be able to tell by the icon. But I guess that is wishful thinking.

The site isn't overly commercial and doesn't advertise the game much. Most letterboxers like to keep it low-key and don't promote letterboxing except among friends. Media attention is generally frowned upon.

Anyway, good question. I'm going to go ask about the decline in the LB forums. Should be interesting to see what the theories are.

I did some more looking at the stats, in particular the Finds of traditional boxes. It seems to be more of a plateau. Although this year there may be a significant decline. Might be because of the cool summer we had. June, July and August showed significantly fewer finds this year compared to last year.

As I said earlier, when this was suggested, you cannot always tell by reading the cache description if the cache is a puzzle. You SHOULD be able to tell by the icon. But I guess that is wishful thinking.

I don't see what you mean. The cache description will tell you what is involved in finding the letterbox hybrid cache.

I don't see what you mean. The cache description will tell you what is involved in finding the letterbox hybrid cache.

Have you never seen a puzzle cache that part of the puzzle is figuring out what the puzzle is? I've seen a few that have a long cache description, which never mentions the puzzle. The puzzle is embedded in the cache description, and it's part of the thing to figure out what it is.

If the cache owner lists it as a puzzle because they put a stamp in it, it probably would be easy to tell. If you can just throw a stamp in any cache and call it a letterbox, the cache description may or may not help.

Just re-reading your reply...regarding the history...at the time (I think it was around 2001) Jeremy did not say that letterbox clues posted on the GC site would need the use of a GPS unit (actually I believe he said it wouldn't require a gps). Not sure what he had in mind. Maybe he was thinking of branching out into a general Hide & Seek site that included both GPS use and directional clues. Would have been very interesting if the LBNA people had jumped on the chance.

Have you never seen a puzzle cache that part of the puzzle is figuring out what the puzzle is? I've seen a few that have a long cache description, which never mentions the puzzle. The puzzle is embedded in the cache description, and it's part of the thing to figure out what it is.

If the cache owner lists it as a puzzle because they put a stamp in it, it probably would be easy to tell. If you can just throw a stamp in any cache and call it a letterbox, the cache description may or may not help.

If it's not clear from the cache description what you're supposed to do and you don't like puzzles, don't do the cache.

Just re-reading your reply...regarding the history...at the time (I think it was around 2001) Jeremy did not say that letterbox clues posted on the GC site would need the use of a GPS unit (actually I believe he said it wouldn't require a gps). Not sure what he had in mind. Maybe he was thinking of branching out into a general Hide & Seek site that included both GPS use and directional clues. Would have been very interesting if the LBNA people had jumped on the chance.

I remember that differently, but I allow for the fact that I may be mistaken. It was a very long time ago.

If it's not clear from the cache description what you're supposed to do and you don't like puzzles, don't do the cache.

Now that I can agree with. Pretty much how I cache anyway.

I remember that differently, but I allow for the fact that I may be mistaken. It was a very long time ago.

I'm talking about the conversation that took place on the LBNA Yahoo Group list.

We have a LBH that folks seem to like - 36 faves out of 107 finds. Not being in the slightest bit artistic, we bought a stamp, wrote "NOT A TRADE ITEM, LEAVE IN CACHE" on it in permanent marker. We've had to replace the stamp twice so far. I'd be upset if it had been a custom stamp.

Just another viewpoint.

Mrs. Car54

We have a LBH that folks seem to like - 36 faves out of 107 finds. Not being in the slightest bit artistic, we bought a stamp, wrote "NOT A TRADE ITEM, LEAVE IN CACHE" on it in permanent marker. We've had to replace the stamp twice so far. I'd be upset if it had been a custom stamp.

Just another viewpoint.

Mrs. Car54

I'm surprised that it isn't going missing far more frequently.

Just another viewpoint.

Mrs. Car54

That's unfortunate. We have planted 24 cross-posted letterboxes over the years (2002-2013). I found writing on the back of the stamp "DO NOT TAKE THE STAMP" has worked for me. I also leave an eye-catching business size card (colourful font, short message) in the container (not on the inside of the lid because that's easy to miss), that the stamp should stay with the cache. So far I've "lost" one stamp to a geocacher and that's because I got lazy and didn't write on the back of the stamp and didn't leave an eye-catching little info card in the cache. But the geocacher mentioned the trade in his log. I contacted him. He returned the stamp. :)

Some of our letterboxes went missing but the whole box went missing. I attribute those losses to muggles.

Regarding the Faves, I read a few of the comments and it seems that what people like are the directional clues and that it's in a cemetery. I'm not seeing any comments on the stamp. I did a Ctrl F for the word stamp and there's not one mention of it in any of the logs (or description). I doubt the stamp matters at all. Without the stamp it's a Puzzle/Mystery or a Multi. What people like is the multi aspect of the game - i.e. the tour of the cemetery using directional clues. If it were listed as a Puzzle/Mystery perhaps it would get as many FPs. Although I think some of the FPs were for the directional clues AND the letterbox icon they got for doing the cache.

I understand what you're describing, but what does that have to do with LBHs? Have you ever actually seen an LBH with a description that didn't indicate how the LBH worked? I fail to see the point in discussing what is likely a purely hypothetical situation.

I have found seven letterbox hybrids. So far, they've all just been a cache with a stamp. I'd love to find an actual hybrid that has clues, like a real letterbox.

It must be a regional thing. All of the LBHs in this area have Letterboxing-style clues. Some have more elaborate clues than others, but none are just a Traditional with a stamp.

I have found seven letterbox hybrids. So far, they've all just been a cache with a stamp. I'd love to find an actual hybrid that has clues, like a real letterbox.

It must be a regional thing. All of the LBHs in this area have Letterboxing-style clues. Some have more elaborate clues than others, but none are just a Traditional with a stamp.

Yeah, I think all the ones that I've gone to were mostly placed just for the cache type.

I'll have to check out the letterboxes next time I'm in your area. I'm due for a visit to Victoria again! Last couple times we were up in Canada this past year, it was to visit a couple of National Parks, and Vancouver. I didn't look for letterboxes on either of those visits, however.

OMG, letterboxing has jumped the shark!!! :laughing: Plants on AQ down for their 5th consecutive year, with a rather precipitous fall from 2012 to 2013. You know, I think sbell11 is right, if it weren't for the smartphone apps, I think Geocaching would be on the decline. No, I don't have any numbers or anything, just a gut feeling. Throw out all the Tftc logging noobs who find 8 or less caches and are never heard from again, and I feel it's been on the decline in my area for a few years now. :o

I understand what you're describing, but what does that have to do with LBHs? Have you ever actually seen an LBH with a description that didn't indicate how the LBH worked? I fail to see the point in discussing what is likely a purely hypothetical situation.

Maybe I am the one not understanding. If you can toss a stamp in any cache and call it a LBH, then I don't feel it is hypothetical to assume someone can toss a stamp in one of the puzzles that you would not know was a puzzle by the cache write up.

If I see an icon that indicates a puzzle, I know it is a puzzle. If I see an icon that says letterbox hybrid, I don't know what the heck it is. Reading the cache page may help, but I still say it may not.

I just know that the letterbox hybrid is a cache type that is only out there to pander to those who want the different icons. It is meaningless on it's own. As far as I can see, it is the only icon that is meaningless.

I think most of the LBH I found have text description telling you how to proceed from the posted coordinates to the LBH. If you're visiting the San Jose area, I can give you a couple of suggestions.

For the rest, one of them didn't even have a stamp. Not sure if it was traded out by mistake.

Forgive me if any of these companies have been suggested already because I've not trawled through the whole thread but we used Tanda stamp. We supplied png of our logo and specified the size in mls across we wanted it. 5 ml in our case. We wanted a stamp to punch in when visiting caches. We chose a sheet size and they (though we didn't know this at the time) crammed as many as they could in that space. So for £6.50 we had years worth of the same stamp. They also sent the duds which they were not happy with, for free. So we have loads of them.

I've looked at their online shop and it seems they have succumbed to the financial climate but they have an explanation page on this link and state they no longer offer this service but list several companies that off the same service. Perhaps one of them will suit your needs. Not checked any of the links but good luck sounds interesting.

http://www.tandastamps.com click this for the company list.

Been through the links now and this one is reasonable - http://www.onestopstamps.co.uk/shop/unmounted-craft-stamps-9/

You will have to cut the stamps from the big sheet yourself and stick them to a bit if wood or plastic whatever. But you do get Taylor made stamps at a low cost.

Thanks for your help.

I will check it out.