Underground GeoCaching

Hi, awhile ago I had the opportunity to try an underground sewer tunnel cache called "into the abyss". It was a large tunnel about 1,000 ft long and you needed boots and head gear to get to the cache at the end of the tunnel. Since then I've become absolutely fascinated about traveling underground. My question is this, does anyone here know of any other similar geocaches? Especially in NJ (but dosen't have to be).

-cachemule

Edited by CacheMule

The best sewer or tunnel caches are the ones that don't tell you upfront that they are located there. I've found two that were like that and one that more or less led me to the drainage opening. The two that didn't tell me I would be looking in a sewer, the AHA! moment was pure bliss. The one in particular was really difficult because the coordinates lead you to a guardrail and some benches...I must've scoured those until the paint was coming off. The sewer opening was about 300' feet away and there wasn't a hint that it was there. The other one, Conduit From Where? (Marquette, MI) was still great fun to go in and find, even if I knew I was going underground to find it. I love those kind of caches. They are certainly out of the norm adventures and can really test your geocaching skills.

Edited by Crow-T-Robot

The most famous one in New Jersey is Manunka Chunk Tunnels . Although the cache is not actually underground.

Also nearby is: The Pipe and The Ladder. Though I nave not done that one.

I will have to add this one to my list. I believe there is one on the old abandoned part of the Pennsylvania Turnpike too inside of an old tunnel.

The best PA Turnpike cache was GCFE59. Fortunately, we were able to find it on our second try before it was archived. Looks like there are some new ones now but they do not have nearly the DNF/Find ratio of the original, although in fairness some of those came after it was stolen. I might check them out over the 4th.