KeyLock box as container

kd006

While pursuing my other 'hobby' yard sales yesterday I came on three 'keylock boxes', the kind realtors use to hang a key on a doorknob. I was thinking they could make an interesting GC container they have alpha dials so in the clue could be "C-P-R" or something which would be the combination. Could be latched on something like a tree branch a couple yards off a trail for instance or along a fence.

So your thoughts on deploying a couple of these, they cost me 33 cents each plus the time to roll the combinations to open them, good thing I studied safecracking 101:-).

Those would be pretty cool, especially for a Multi or part of a puzzle (with hints or coords inside). These could work in more urban areas than other containers would. Unlike many combination locks, these are designed to be outdoors. But there's usually not much room inside, and they're not watertight. So you'll need to take extra care, planning on what to use them for.

Edited by kunarion

So your thoughts on deploying a couple of these, they cost me 33 cents each plus the time to roll the combinations to open them, good thing I studied safecracking 101:-).

Wait, wait. I just re-read this. 33 cents? What exactly are you talking about? I first thought you where talking about these>>pushbuttonrealestatelockbox-716273.JPGsupraibox-741416.JPG

Put a bison tube in them? Anyway I was thinking about those as well. Except that the ones I've found are $50+ each.

That's why the OP's locks are such a cool thing. You wouldn't usually place these things as caches, due to the cost, vs. the cache capacity.

I have one, the kind that bolts to a wall. The front panel is removable (once the combination is pressed), revealing a space for about 2 keys. This thing is also a little aged from being outdoors. I get the impression that it's not designed to be in direct sun or unprotected from rain.

Edited by kunarion

Wait, wait. I just re-read this. 33 cents? What exactly are you talking about? I first thought you where talking about these>>pushbuttonrealestatelockbox-716273.JPGsupraibox-741416.JPG

That's what the OP is talking about. They were picked up at a yard sale according to the original post.

I've found a few caches that used these. Sometimes, they're mystery/puzzle caches, and the combination is part of the puzzle. Sometimes, they're traditional caches, and the combination is presented to the seeker in the cache description.

They seem pretty safe from muggles, although they aren't exactly weatherproof. (They're designed to protect metal keys, not paper logsheets.)

Thanks folks, yes they were really three for a dollar! I figure a mini log sheet, a trinket and a mini zip lock to keep the log dry. These are only about $12 new @ mfssupply.com

They are not the new fancy ones with cell programing like used today (when I bought my house 2-3 years ago I was given a code to do a walkthrough and they could reprogram the code remotely) with a little camo paint they would even be at home in the forest.

Were a bit of a bugger to open as three dials 12 letters = 1728 possible combinations so I started at one first & second dial and rolled the third, then upped the second dial one click and rolled the third... once those were exhausted I went to the second position on the first dial... rinse and repeat!

Once opened you can reset the combo by moving a lever and also release the shackle to take it to a place to log it. I will probably epoxy the combo reset if I deploy them.

I would post photos but it seems you need to upload them to a URL

Edited by kd006

I've found a few caches that used these. Sometimes, they're mystery/puzzle caches, and the combination is part of the puzzle. Sometimes, they're traditional caches, and the combination is presented to the seeker in the cache description.

They seem pretty safe from muggles, although they aren't exactly weatherproof. (They're designed to protect metal keys, not paper logsheets.)

Cool I was into TSD rallies in the early 70's, ran a few gimmicks and moved on to SCCA Pro and Divisionals for a year in 75' before my navigator moved to Alaska.

If you believe that a baggie is a cure... the cache is a failure from the git-go.

How so? I am new to this so what is the cure? Waterproof "paper" like tyvek?

Gitchee is right. The paper will be soaked and nasty before anyone reports a problem. You'll never get a log like "the ziplock is about to fail in a couple more finds". But if you come up with a way that works, more power to ya!

Waterproof paper won't turn to mush, but the log signatures will bleed and run in unexpected ways. I have a film canister cache with "tyvek" paper, and swap it out when it starts looking a little sad. Where I live, it ain't the cache, it's the humidity. :P

If you have coordinates written inside with a paint pen, no log needed. The log would be in a waterproof box where the coords lead, for example. You could lock that thing most anywhere around town, where most caches and stages would not work. This could be something to hang onto, til you're ready to make a killer Multi someday.

Securing the combination is a great idea! I've always wondered how I might make a resettable lock foolproof. But I've been too chicken to make such a cache :anicute:.

Edited by kunarion

Gitchee is right. The paper will be soaked and nasty before anyone reports a problem. You'll never get a log like "the ziplock is about to fail in a couple more finds". But if you come up with a way that works, more power to ya!

Waterproof paper won't turn to mush, but the log signatures will bleed and run in unexpected ways. I have a film canister cache with "tyvek" paper, and swap it out when it starts looking a little sad. Where I live, it ain't the cache, it's the humidity. :P

If you have coordinates written inside with a paint pen, no log needed. The log would be in a waterproof box where the coords lead, for example. You could lock that thing most anywhere around town, where most caches and stages would not work. This could be something to hang onto, til you're ready to make a killer Multi someday.

Securing the combination is a great idea! I've always wondered how I might make a resettable lock foolproof. But I've been too chicken to make such a cache :anicute:.

Humidity should not be a problem but for a few months out of the year about my parts, pencil does not run.

I am trying my best to not be obnoxious as I am a noob to all this.

However I do take offence to being called out by strangers and NOT offered advice/solutions.

Perhaps that is why I do not play well with others.

Any cache I hide will be checked once a month so I don't really see the "Problem" I can always put in a fresh log sheet secured in a 1.5 x 2" ziploc (inverted so moisture will not enter IF properly sealed).

I'm sure you could fit a blinkie in there that would be waterproof or put it in a place that has something over it to protect it. I know now you think you will check it every month and maybe you will. We used to think that but the better plan would be to make it so you don't have to check it every month and I am sure you can figure out a way to do that. I have found a few and think they are great. Have fun with it!

Hi kd, welcome to the addiction! Personally, I think it's way kewl that you were able to score three of these for a buck. And, you immediately recognized their possible geocaching potential! Extra kudos for that. I hope you'll take Gitchee's advice to heart. There's an old caching axiom which goes, "If you must use a baggie to protect your log, your container has already failed at a very basic level". The more seasoned amongst our ranks can verify the truth of this. The job of a container in this hobby is to protect its contents. The container you've picked will not protect its contents.

I checked out one of your hides to get an idea of where you call home. I came up with Cobb California? Looking at the weather statistics for Cobb tells me it has an average humidity of 83%, and an average annual precipitation of 41" which is twice that of the state, and an average temperature fluctuation of 40* Fahrenheit. In my opinion, this is not an environment suitable for just a baggie.

If I were to score such a neat find at a yard sale, I'd do one of two things.

If I opted for a traditional, I'd place a Bison Designs tube inside.

(No, not one of the cheap Chinese knock offs sold on EBay)

Something like this would solve any potential issues: http://www.bisondesigns.com/products/capsule-x-large

If I opted for a multi, I'd use that as a stage, writing coordinates with a Sharpie on a piece of PVC pipe, which would be hidden inside the lock.

If I opted for a mystery, I'd use a UV marker to write the coords for the final inside.

Good luck!