geochaches not found in unit

I load all my geocaches into my etrex 20 using my PC and hit sending to GPS. Have never had trouble until I enter GC2D5HX and when I hit "where to" there is nothing there. When I try to send to GPS again it tells me it is there do I want to overwrite it. I look into the folder under GPX and it is indeed there. Does anyone have a answer.

Thank You

Cash King

So what makes you think there is nothing there?

When I load several geocaches and then take my etrex 20 and hit "where to" and hit "geocaches" it shows all except that one I mentioned, If I only enter the one. and hit "geocaches" it says "NO RESULTS FOUND...TRY Adjusting Search Parameters. When I go to file and it is there under GPX file.

Cash King

A guess, I'm on an ETrex-H. My particular geocaching software, EasyGPS, scrunches the cache names (not the GC numbers) down into six characters, and sometimes with very similar cache names the "scrunch" comes out the same. My Etrex therefore accepts the first one and thinks all others with the same "scrunch" are duplicates.

It sounds like you are working with GC number rather than name, but all the same, your ETrex may only be able to handle the first six characters. So if it already has something loaded as GC2D5H, it won't accept another one with that same ID. Check everything you've loaded previously and I'll betcha there's something there that is GC2D5H~, with ~ being some other character than X, the one you're trying to load now.

If you find that's the problem, you can see if your software can be set to use names instead of GC numbers, OR you can edit the GC numbers to just remove the GC, which adds nothing.

A guess, I'm on an ETrex-H. My particular geocaching software, EasyGPS, scrunches the cache names (not the GC numbers) down into six characters, and sometimes with very similar cache names the "scrunch" comes out the same. My Etrex therefore accepts the first one and thinks all others with the same "scrunch" are duplicates.

It sounds like you are working with GC number rather than name, but all the same, your ETrex may only be able to handle the first six characters. So if it already has something loaded as GC2D5H, it won't accept another one with that same ID. Check everything you've loaded previously and I'll betcha there's something there that is GC2D5H~, with ~ being some other character than X, the one you're trying to load now.

If you find that's the problem, you can see if your software can be set to use names instead of GC numbers, OR you can edit the GC numbers to just remove the GC, which adds nothing.

I download all my caches from www.geocaching.com and all are given a GC# Those of you that use that website can enter that number as a search and come up with the cache page. It is the only one I have ever had this happen out of probably 300. It does not even work if that is the only one loaded. And all on geocaching .com have 5 numbers and/or letter following a GC

Edited by cash king

I just loaded the mentioned cache and it shows pretty well on my Montana.

I dought that loading every single cache "one by one" from the cache pages will let you very fast exceed the unit's GPX limit which is 2000 single GPX files. Have in mind that there might be a lot single GPX files within the "Archive" folder (tons of tracks are filed there). Deleting the Archive folder's content might help.

ee7cbfd0f7f256ea9e259d8b9657c068.png

Hans

Edited by HHL

I just loaded the mentioned cache and it shows pretty well on my Montana.

I dought that loading every single cache "one by one" from the cache pages will let you very fast exceed the unit's GPX limit which is 2000 single GPX files. Have in mind that there might be a lot single GPX files within the "Archive" folder (tons of tracks are filed there). Deleting the Archive folder's content might help.

ee7cbfd0f7f256ea9e259d8b9657c068.png

Hans

I deleted all the GPX files in the folder except that one and it will not come up on my GPS regardless. I wish someone with a Garmin etrex 20 would try theirs

Cash King

Edited by cash king

I wish someone with a Garmin etrex 20 would try theirs

Cash King

Did that. Works fine, either by scrolling through the list of closer caches to get to the remote cache, or when I search by name. I'm using an E20 on firmware v2.80 with all caches and OS map on the microSD card. (And yes, I know there are later versions of the firmware!! I don't update software that is working fine.)

How many caches do you have loaded on the GPS as single files? While your eTrex 20 can display 2000 geocaches, the GPS can only read 200 GPX files in total. This includes routes, tracks, and waypoints in addition to geocaches. When you use the "send to GPS" link on the website, it sends each geocache as a single GPX file. To get around this, use pocket queries to send up to 1000 geocache listings as a single GPX file.

How many caches do you have loaded on the GPS as single files? While your eTrex 20 can display 2000 geocaches, the GPS can only read 200 GPX files in total. This includes routes, tracks, and waypoints in addition to geocaches. When you use the "send to GPS" link on the website, it sends each geocache as a single GPX file. To get around this, use pocket queries to send up to 1000 geocache listings as a single GPX file.

I deleted all files, GPX files as well as all archived files. I have one GPX file in the GPS (the one in question) and it will not come up> It is only 5 miles away. I can hand enter the coordinates and get to it that way but just puzzled as to why this one won’t come up. But thank to all you guys for trying to help. I am just going to have to live with it I guess

Ok, next thing to try: see if it shows up in your "Found" list. It may have gotten accidentally marked as found, in which case it won't show up in your geocaches list.

Does it show up on the map? And if yes, is it an open chest icon?

It is on the map and yes it is open. I deleted it and then put it back in and it is still open. I must have accidently marked as found. I never found it and I want to. How do I bring it back up so I can find it. Does that mean all the ones I have marked found I never will be able to bring them up again. What if I lend my GPS to someone else or sell it.

Thank You I think we are getting close to finding an answer

Cash King

The short answer is yes, if you load geocaches that have been marked as "found," they won't show up in the geocaches list. If you sell your GPS, you would perform a hard reset, which should clear the geocache database in the unit itself. The good news is, you can trick the GPS into converting a "found" geocache into an "unfound" gps by navigating to it and marking it as "unattempted."

So, I'm not familiar with the new eTrex options, but it should be similar (or not drastically different) than what I do on the Oregon:

1. If there's a geocaches option on the main menu, use that instead of "Where to?"

2. There should be an option to "Show Found." This will give you a list of all the geocaches you've found that are still installed on the device. There, you can select the cache and "go" to it.

3. Log it. But instead of logging it as found or did not find, log it as "unattempted." At that point, it should revert to a normal unfound cache and show up on the regular list of geocaches.

The bad news: if this happens to a lot of caches you load, you have to do this one at a time. I haven't found a method of changing this in bulk, short of performing a hard reset of your GPS. But be aware, the hard reset deletes all user data and customizations. It would be like turning it on the first time you opened the packaging. Hence, it's good to do when selling your GPS to a new user.

Ok, next thing to try: see if it shows up in your "Found" list. It may have gotten accidentally marked as found, in which case it won't show up in your geocaches list.

Does it show up on the map? And if yes, is it an open chest icon?

It is on the map and yes it is open. I deleted it and then put it back in and it is still open. I must have accidently marked as found. I never found it and I want to. How do I bring it back up so I can find it. Does that mean all the ones I have marked found I never will be able to bring them up again. What if I lend my GPS to someone else or sell it.

Thank You I think we are getting close to finding an answer

Cash King

The cache you gave us (GC2D5HX "Green Gate") has not been found by a user "cash king." Do you (or did you)cache under a different name? Or did someone else download the GPX files for you?

The simple fix on a single cache that is marked found in error is to go to the cache page and delete the erroneous log entry then download the gpx file again. However since there is not a log entry by cash king, something else is going on that you haven't told us about.

[…]

1. If there's a geocaches option on the main menu, use that instead of "Where to?"

2. There should be an option to "Show Found." This will give you a list of all the geocaches you've found that are still installed on the device. There, you can select the cache and "go" to it.

[…]

Wrong again. »Show Found« is a sub menu from »Geocaches«.

That said, the way to go is: Main Menu > Where To? > Geocaches > Show Found

Hans

To prevent Geocaches (sent from others) as found on your unit you could do the following:

1: Open the GPX with a text editor and do a search & replace:

2: Search for: <sym>Geocache Found</sym>

Replace with: <sym>Geocache</sym>

3: Copy the GPX to your unit.

Garmin units detect the found/unfound status from GPX files by reading the sym tag.

Hans

[…] While your eTrex 20 can display 2000 geocaches, the GPS can only read 200 GPX files in total. […]

That's wrong. The Etrex20's limit is 2000 single GPX files or 2000 Geocaches.

Source: http://garmin.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1557

Hans

Huh... I guess they got an upgrade. Garmin even says my 450t can now read 2000 gpx files.

Either way, if you haven't been using pocket queries, they will change your life.

[…] While your eTrex 20 can display 2000 geocaches, the GPS can only read 200 GPX files in total. […]

Source: http://garmin.custhe...etail/a_id/1557

Hans

[…] Garmin even says my 450t can now read 2000 gpx files.

Either way, if you haven't been using pocket queries, they will change your life.

No, they don't. You must read more carefully: The x50 units hold 200 GPX files OR 2000 Geocaches.

Please stop posting weired and useless information.

Thank You.

Hans

Source: http://garmin.custhe...etail/a_id/1557

Hans

[…] Garmin even says my 450t can now read 2000 gpx files.

No, they don't. You must read more carefully: The x50 units hold 200 GPX files OR 2000 Geocaches.

Please stop posting weired and useless information.

Thank You.

Hans

It is you who are mistaken. The Oregon 450/550 have always been able to read 5000 geocaches, that's why I bought the unit. The 2000 gpx limit is new, it used to be 200. Your page is out of date. Go straight to the source:

What are the file limitations of my outdoor mass storage device?

eTrex 20/30

2,000 GPX files

2,000 waypoints

5,000 geocaches

200 routes, 250 points per route

200 saved tracks

2,000 archive tracks*

10,000 points per track

100 custom map tiles

250 BirdsEye Imagery files

Approximately 3,000 mapping segments

Oregon 450(t) or 550(t)

2,000 GPX files

2,000 waypoints

5,000 geocaches

200 routes, 250 points per route

200 saved tracks

2,000 archive tracks*

10,000 points per track

100 custom map tiles

250 BirdsEye Imagery files

Mapping segments vary by model:

Oregon 450, 550: approximately 4,000

Oregon 450t, 550t: approximately 3,500 (due to internal mapping)

To prevent Geocaches (sent from others) as found on your unit you could do the following:

Garmin units detect the found/unfound status from GPX files by reading the sym tag.

Hans

I thought it sounded like a good try but it would not let me change anything. So I think being that the one cache is the only one I have a problem with I will just drop the subject and mark it with a lesson well learned. Thanks Guys for all knowledge

Cash King

Hans

I thought it sounded like a good try but it would not let me change anything. So I think being that the one cache is the only one I have a problem with I will just drop the subject and mark it with a lesson well learned. Thanks Guys for all knowledge

Cash King

This would work if you remove the GPX file from the GPS then reboot the GPS with no GPX files. Doing this will erase the cache from the internal database. Now edit the GPX file on the computer and copy the edited file to the empty GPS. You should now see it as an unfound cache on your e20.

Hans

Cash King

This would work if you remove the GPX file from the GPS then reboot the GPS with no GPX files. Doing this will erase the cache from the internal database. Now edit the GPX file on the computer and copy the edited file to the empty GPS. You should now see it as an unfound cache on your e20.

I'm not so sure this solves the problem. This issue has come up before, and it's not a simple matter of the GPX file being marked as found, but the geocache database within the unit being marked as found. Certainly, this can happen if you import a geocache already marked as found, but often, users experience this problem when the geocache was never found, and thus the GPX isn't marked as found. It's a bug within the Garmin software that it marks some found when they are not, and simply loading an "unfound" GPX file does not reverse the listing. The only way I've found that works (so far) is to go in though the GPS and mark the found geocache as "unattempted." Since it's only one listing, this is an easy fix. If it starts happening with hundreds of listings, then we can start looking for alternate solutions.

I'm not so sure this solves the problem. This issue has come up before, and it's not a simple matter of the GPX file being marked as found, but the geocache database within the unit being marked as found. Certainly, this can happen if you import a geocache already marked as found, but often, users experience this problem when the geocache was never found, and thus the GPX isn't marked as found. It's a bug within the Garmin software that it marks some found when they are not, and simply loading an "unfound" GPX file does not reverse the listing. The only way I've found that works (so far) is to go in though the GPS and mark the found geocache as "unattempted." Since it's only one listing, this is an easy fix. If it starts happening with hundreds of listings, then we can start looking for alternate solutions.

I have found that changing or adding a duplicate cache will not always update the cache already stored in the internal database. But I have always found the booting the GPS with no GPX/LOC files clears the internal DB. However mine are always on the microSD card, so as part of the process I remove the batteries, which may be an extra step the the OP will want to do. As a side note, I have noticed that clearing the internal DB often takes almost as much time during the boot as the subsequent rebuilding it from scratch.

In any case, we'll have an answer if the OP opts to try the process suggested by HHL with the extra steps I added.

FWIW, I deleted all caches from my Etrex-H, downloaded Green Gate as a .loc, pulled it into EasyGPS (all good), then sent it to my ETrex-H, where it showed up just fine as GREEGA ("scrunched" name). Does not show up when I ask for nearest, as it's hundreds of miles from where I live, but other than that, all appeared normal. Yeah, I know, Etrex-H and Etrex-20 are two different animals; I'm just posting this to suggest that the geocaching website itself does not seem to be the problem. Were it me, I'd be going over the GPS settings with a fine-tooth comb. Maybe delete absolutely everything, a total back-to-factory reset, then try to import just that one?

(Oh, and I also examined the .loc file with a text editor and it looks entirely normal.)

The short answer is yes, if you load geocaches that have been marked as "found," they won't show up in the geocaches list. If you sell your GPS, you would perform a hard reset, which should clear the geocache database in the unit itself. The good news is, you can trick the GPS into converting a "found" geocache into an "unfound" gps by navigating to it and marking it as "unattempted."

So, I'm not familiar with the new eTrex options, but it should be similar (or not drastically different) than what I do on the Oregon:

3. Log it. But instead of logging it as found or did not find, log it as "unattempted." At that point, it should revert to a normal unfound cache and show up on the regular list of geocaches.

The bad news: if this happens to a lot of caches you load, you have to do this one at a time. I haven't found a method of changing this in bulk, short of performing a hard reset of your GPS. But be aware, the hard reset deletes all user data and customizations. It would be like turning it on the first time you opened the packaging. Hence, it's good to do when selling your GPS to a new user.

I did the hard reset but it did not erase the geocache logs or the geocache visits. Every think else was deleted thou . Other than those it was like I just took it out of the box. I then downloaded that cache that would not work then found it on the map and pinpointed it with my curser it opened I then logged it in as "unattempt" Everything works now. Thank To all you guys and to the one that give me that last idea.

Cash King

Edited by cash king

Hi - I have the same problem as the original poster. I had an Etrex 10 and worked fine either as sending individual caches, or PQ files. I upgraded to the Etrex 20, and initially was fine. Suddenly, it has started to have errors, so when I download PQs, it does not always see them, and I get the 'no caches found...' error message. This is an inconsistent problem. As an example, I had three PQs loaded (I can see them in the folder when the GPSr is connected to the laptop - it is when using the GPSr that it then fails to find the caches). Of the three, it could only see caches from one of them. I deleted all PQs, reloaded one of them, and it could see no caches. I added another, and it can see those, but not the caches from the first PQ loaded. In the GPX folder I can see files for both PQs, but for some reason the GPSr then chooses to not acknowledge the presence of them both :mad: . Both PQS are for caches that I have not found, do not own and are enabled. Main difference is the area the PQs cover.

Any thoughts?

many thanks!

[…] I deleted all PQs, reloaded one of them, and it could see no caches. I added another, and it can see those, but not the caches from the first PQ loaded. […]

Deleting PQ (GPX) files and immediately copy new ones onto the unit is NOT recommended.

The way to go is as follows:

A: Delete all PQ files from the unit

B: Start the unit with NO PQ files. This is very important for the necessary deleting of the Unit's internal Index file.

C: Load the GPX files and start the unit.

Hans

Edited by HHL

Hi - I have the same problem as the original poster. I had an Etrex 10 and worked fine either as sending individual caches, or PQ files. I upgraded to the Etrex 20, and initially was fine. Suddenly, it has started to have errors, so when I download PQs, it does not always see them, and I get the 'no caches found...' error message. This is an inconsistent problem. As an example, I had three PQs loaded (I can see them in the folder when the GPSr is connected to the laptop - it is when using the GPSr that it then fails to find the caches). Of the three, it could only see caches from one of them. I deleted all PQs, reloaded one of them, and it could see no caches. I added another, and it can see those, but not the caches from the first PQ loaded. In the GPX folder I can see files for both PQs, but for some reason the GPSr then chooses to not acknowledge the presence of them both :mad: . Both PQS are for caches that I have not found, do not own and are enabled. Main difference is the area the PQs cover.

Any thoughts?

many thanks!

If it's the whole PQ that is missing, it's probably an indexing error. It's a common problem associated with all of the modern Garmins that requires you to take the steps that HHL posted above. For this reason, it's a good idea to store PQ files on an SD card rather than the internal storage so that if this happens while you're out, all you have to do is pop out the SD card, boot up, turn off, replace the SD card, and boot back up and you're usually good to go.

Any thoughts?

many thanks!

If it's the whole PQ that is missing, it's probably an indexing error. It's a common problem associated with all of the modern Garmins that requires you to take the steps that HHL posted above. For this reason, it's a good idea to store PQ files on an SD card rather than the internal storage so that if this happens while you're out,

all you have to do is pop out the SD card, boot up, turn off, replace the SD card, and boot back up and you're usually good to go.

I have a question for MINERAL2. If I install a SD card will everything go to it automatic?

Thank You

Cash King

Any thoughts?

many thanks!

If it's the whole PQ that is missing, it's probably an indexing error. It's a common problem associated with all of the modern Garmins that requires you to take the steps that HHL posted above. For this reason, it's a good idea to store PQ files on an SD card rather than the internal storage so that if this happens while you're out,

all you have to do is pop out the SD card, boot up, turn off, replace the SD card, and boot back up and you're usually good to go.

I have a question for MINERAL2. If I install a SD card will everything go to it automatic?

Thank You

Cash King

No. But when you install an SD card, it pops up as a second drive in addition to the GPS, so it's easy to move files from one to the other. And when downloading new files, you choose which drive/device to send it to. Waypoints and tracks created on the GPS are still saved to the GPS. I don't remember if there's an option to save to the SD card instead.

[…] I deleted all PQs, reloaded one of them, and it could see no caches. I added another, and it can see those, but not the caches from the first PQ loaded. […]

Deleting PQ (GPX) files and immediately copy new ones onto the unit is NOT recommended.

The way to go is as follows:

A: Delete all PQ files from the unit

B: Start the unit with NO PQ files. This is very important for the necessary deleting of the Unit's internal Index file.

C: Load the GPX files and start the unit.

Hans

Many thanks - this seems to work! What is the appropriate way to do it when I'm not looking to clear the whole GPSr - eg I hace a PQ on it, want to keep it, but would like to add another PQ or maybe individual caches? Can I just add them on, or do I need to do something else as well?

Thanks again,