How to Update an Oregon 450

We just moved almost 8 months ago from the US to the UK. Went out caching last week for the first time, did a multi. All the waypoints seemed to be pretty dead on close to GZ, but when I put the final coords in they weren't helping us much, and I think they were way off. I'm pretty sure I had them right, and on google maps, we were way in the wrong direction. So I came on here to figure out how to calibrate the compass, thinking it may need that, as it's been a long time since I've done it (and in the US), and couldn't figure out how. So, now I know how to do that, and will.

ANYWAYS, as I was reading, I saw a few other things mentioned on helping others' issues, and one mentioned was updating the firmware. How exactly do we do that?? I've had this for probably almost 2 years? Not even sure if it's been that long, but figured it wouldn't hurt to check if it is up to date.

OH and the other thing is to make sure you have the correct battery selected...and I'm not sure what kind of batteries mine are, but they are the eneloop rechargables. What selection should I have?

I'll be checking on a few other non-essential settings as well, but I'm hoping these things will help, and will maybe be going out to 2nd attempt that final!

When you put in the final coordinates, could the unit still be expecting

N DD MM.MMM

W DDD MM.MMM ?

It's simple to overlook, and would certainly cause the coordinates to be way off.

And as splashy suggested, it might help to double-check that you're using the right datum (WGS84).

Edited by msrubble

Couple things that could go wrong:

Since all of the other stages of the Multi were spot on, your GPS is not the issue. Therefore, it's very possible that you entered the coordinates for the final incorrectly. It's easy to switch numbers around and not notice it. OR The fault lies with the cache: maybe the cache owner gave the wrong coordinates (unlikely if it has been found often, likely if there are a string of DNF's), maybe the final got muggled, or maybe there are clues in the logs that point you to the right location.

I'd first chalk it up to user error. Read through all of the previous logs on the cache listing and then maybe go back to the last stage and re-write/load the coordinates to the final.