First intercache published!

I will have to look into this idea as an alternative to Werigo... once I figure out the ins and outs of it. I am glad to see that it can not be done from a home comp and takes your actual location into account. I did follow the link and try to go though it from my comp, it would not let me go past the first grave since I was not at the site. My only real question is at the end of this, is there a container to find or is it just a virtual tour of the area you decide on?

There's a box at the end. After the 15th grave, it directs you to the 16th location where the geocache is hidden.

There's a box at the end. After the 15th grave, it directs you to the 16th location where the geocache is hidden.

While I understand the appeal of intercaches and Wherigos for adventureous and computer game-like setups, I think that for cemetery and similar tours

the good old style multi with a cache description which is available in advance is unbeatable. The description can be printed by those who prefer paper and can include a lot more of information (about history, architecture, art,

geology, ecology whatever might be of interest) than the information one would want to read on a screen. If the cache description is available on the web site, then all these background

informations can be read independently from the specific moment of searching for the container (that could be before the tour or after it whenever someone has time and wants to read the

stuff that is interesting, but not necessary to find the container.

I'm aware of the fact that there are cachers who do not like to manipulate coordinates and use paper and pen, but when caches are regarded like a cemetery tour at least in my area there is

a considerable group of people who wants to be provided with more background information that they can study before and after the cache visit.

Edited by cezanne

While I understand the appeal of intercaches and Wherigos for adventureous and computer game-like setups, I think that for cemetery and similar tours

the good old style multi with a cache description which is available in advance is unbeatable. The description can be printed by those who prefer paper and can include a lot more of information (about history, architecture, art,

geology, ecology whatever might be of interest) than the information one would want to read on a screen. If the cache description is available on the web site, then all these background

informations can be read independently from the specific moment of searching for the container (that could be before the tour or after it whenever someone has time and wants to read the

stuff that is interesting, but not necessary to find the container.

I'm aware of the fact that there are cachers who do not like to manipulate coordinates and use paper and pen, but when caches are regarded like a cemetery tour at least in my area there is

a considerable group of people who wants to be provided with more background information that they can study before and after the cache visit.

There are NO character limits in an Intercache, and I know that matters to you because you complained about it in Lab caches. You can include PAGES of information with regard to history, art, architecture, et.. AND include photos of similar pieces or pieces that inspired the art in question if you check the HTML box. The intercache I'm submitting once the snow finally melts off takes you on a tour of one of my city's cultural districts. At various stops I've included imformation about the history of the area, the architectural gems still in existence, public art displayed, The US' oldest shoe store still in operation and much more. I could have written it all in the cache description but it would have been at least 3 pages long to print out (and who knows how long the description would have been with all the detail I provide). Your argument about how much information a cache description can supply vs. how much information an Intercache can provide is wrong. You can have exactly the same amount of information in both, but who really wants to read a cache description that takes more than 15 minutes to get from the top to the bottom of the page. An intercache breaks it up into more manageable chunks of information at the EXACT time you're right at the sight you've been brought to.

As to viewing the information either before or after, why wouldn't you want to examine it and learn about the site when you're right in front of it instead of focusing only on numbers, letters, or some clue that would take you on to the next stage? Your post seems to be contradictory in the sense that you talk about the journey and sights to see along the way while caching (this thread and others), but in a cemetery multi that requires you to do math or get information from a gravemarker, you'd rather focus on THAT to move onto the next stage instead of the beauty of the sculpture/headstone or significant historical figure you've been brought to. Once you find the final stage and sign the log, THEN you want to learn more about the area/people/art that you were supposed to see as you were actually doing the multi. You can't have it both ways and be right in your arguments, based on what you've posted in multiple threads. Either it's about the journey and the sights or it's about finding the cache and the information about the site is just pointless and extraneous to the hunt for the container. You've made it abundantly clear in your posts that it's about the journey along the way and taking time to admire the trip, NOT the actual container at the end.

I consider the Intercache more like an audio tour (if set up that way) without the audio. You learn about the art/architecture/history when you're standing in front of it, not before or after you've walked past it and can't remember what you were looking at because you're only focused on finding a number in a date or some other clue the hider has asked you to look for. The intercache can do that also (a question to answer to take you to the next stage). It can be set up as a paperless multi-cache and that appears to be a negative point for you - paper, or more appropriately, the lack of a paper print out. To me, that seems a little silly that this is one of the main reasons to dislike the intercache format. I get the smartphone argument (about needing to have one instead of having just a GPSr), the cell service argument (unlimited service vs. limited service), and other arguments that would PREVENT people from doing an intercache, but the paper argument doesn't do that. It only highlights a personal preference of yours, not that you can't do an intercache because you don't have the proper phone or service plan .

There are NO character limits in an Intercache, and I know that matters to you because you complained about it in Lab caches. You can include PAGES of information with regard to history, art, architecture, et.. AND include photos of similar pieces or pieces that inspired the art in question if you check the HTML box.

There is a limit, but it's sufficiently high that most locations should never see a problem. I can always bump it up if needed. Most likely if viewing on a phone you'd want to keep each location constrained to something reasonable anyway. With a printed cache page you'd need to have all location data and images available on one page, but with an intercache you would most likely to a "progressive disclosure" about the locations.

As to viewing the information either before or after, why wouldn't you want to examine it and learn about the site when you're right in front of it instead of focusing only on numbers, letters, or some clue that would take you on to the next stage?

That's how I prefer to do things as well. For a cemetery intercache the cache page can give an overview, and then as you walk the tour you learn about the locations are you at. It's much easier, for me anyway, to learn about locations this way than to be fumbling with paper.

Though I welcome people to continue printing as much as they can, making multiple copies, as I work for a printer company. :)

I consider the Intercache more like an audio tour (if set up that way) without the audio.

Funny you say that as I have a commercially branded version of this for a client that works with their audio tour.

I get the smartphone argument (about needing to have one instead of having just a GPSr), the cell service argument (unlimited service vs. limited service)

Yup, that's a negative. I don't plan on fixing the need for a smart phone, but I do plan on making a native app at some point so it can be played offline, with certain restrictions.

And again, please continue to print out all your cache listings multiple times when you go out. It keeps me employed.

There are NO character limits in an Intercache, and I know that matters to you because you complained about it in Lab caches.

I guessed that there would not be a significant character limit in intercaches. However the amount of information that most people want to read on a tiny screen is limited.

I could have written it all in the cache description but it would have been at least 3 pages long to print out (and who knows how long the description would have been with all the detail I provide). Your argument about how much information a cache description can supply vs. how much information an Intercache can provide is wrong. You can have exactly the same amount of information in both, but who really wants to read a cache description that takes more than 15 minutes to get from the top to the bottom of the page. An intercache breaks it up into more manageable chunks of information at the EXACT time you're right at the sight you've been brought to.

I know many cachers in my area who definitely are willing to spend more than 15 minutes to read provided information, but they would not want to spend that time at the cache site. If the text is in the cache description, everyone can decide whatever information to take along for the hunt and which part of the additional information one wants to read when and where.

As to viewing the information either before or after, why wouldn't you want to examine it and learn about the site when you're right in front of it instead of focusing only on numbers, letters, or some clue that would take you on to the next stage?

I'm definitely not one of those who only focus on what is required for a cache.

Nevertheless, I prefer to first read at least parts of the description at home, both to decide what a cache has to offer to me and also to find out whether I should make an independent research because the description does tell me less than I would like to know.

Furthermore, sometimes I just like to look up some information again after my return. So for me it is preferable to have information available before the visit, during the visit and after the visit.

With intercaches everything gets lost and is only viewable directly at the location (at least this is what I understood it is like).

Your post seems to be contradictory in the sense that you talk about the journey and sights to see along the way while caching (this thread and others), but in a cemetery multi that requires you to do math or get information from a gravemarker, you'd rather focus on THAT to move onto the next stage instead of the beauty of the sculpture/headstone or significant historical figure you've been brought to.

It suffices if one calculation is done at the end of the tour and doing basic arithmetics is not math in my eyes, but I'm aware of the fact that others need much longer to calculate than I do, but are much faster e.g. in

logging nanos and have no issues with reading texts on small displays. I can do calculations in parallel with many other things.

Reading texts on a smartphone is however a real pain to me and zooming around all the time is annoying if one wants to read several paragraphs.

Once you find the final stage and sign the log, THEN you want to learn more about the area/people/art that you were supposed to see as you were actually doing the multi. You can't have it both ways and be right in your arguments, based on what you've posted in multiple threads. Either it's about the journey and the sights or it's about finding the cache and the information about the site is just pointless and extraneous to the hunt for the container. You've made it abundantly clear in your posts that it's about the journey along the way and taking time to admire the trip, NOT the actual container at the end.

Yes, for me it is about the journey. Adding 76 and 38 does not distract me and is done in a second. Finding a micro or logging a nano typically takes me at least 10 minutes, often more.

I consider the Intercache more like an audio tour (if set up that way) without the audio. You learn about the art/architecture/history when you're standing in front of it, not before or after you've walked past it and can't remember what you were looking at because you're only focused on finding a number in a date or some other clue the hider has asked you to look for.

Your comparison is not bad. I do not like standard audio tours. I prefer to decide on my own how much information I want to deal with at a particular moment and I like to prepare myself in advance if I realize that a cache description tells me less than I guess I will know at the location.

Have you ever used a guide book which deals only with a single church or a small number of churches?

I like to browse through the text before visiting the churches, take the book with me to use it on site and I like to read some parts after my visit or like to read them again after months/years.

The intercache can do that also (a question to answer to take you to the next stage). It can be set up as a paperless multi-cache and that appears to be a negative point for you - paper, or more appropriately, the lack of a paper print out.

No, not only the lack of a paper printout - there is also no electronic version available offsite and this brings along all the disadvantages I mentioned above.

To me, that seems a little silly that this is one of the main reasons to dislike the intercache format.

I get the smartphone argument (about needing to have one instead of having just a GPSr), the cell service argument (unlimited service vs. limited service), and other arguments that would PREVENT people from doing an intercache, but the paper argument doesn't do that. It only highlights a personal preference of yours, not that you can't do an intercache because you don't have the proper phone or service plan .

I guess you are younger and have much better eyes than me. I already have big troubles when I want to read a single sentence on someone else's device when there is a debate about the meaning of something.

I think that this reason makes at least as much sense as the smartphone and service plan arguments. I do not own a smartphone and I do not have mobile internet, but I could buy a smartphone and pay for a service plan. I cannot buy younger and better eyes, but even 30 years ago I would not have wanted to read several pages on a small screen.

I did not say that intercaches should not be hidden. I just provided argument that support the classical way of caching in the setting of guided tours. No one is forced to share my opinion.

Why do you think that the argument that writing down some answers at the stages is annoying while typing in the answers in a smartphone is not

is more valid than the argument that many cachers prefer to write down a few answers on a piece of paper and have the chance to print the information text in a manner that they can read in a relaxed state?

Intercaches have their target audience, but that's also true for classical multi caches.

Cezanne

However the amount of information that most people want to read on a tiny screen is limited.

Most people? Or most people YOU know? There's a difference and it's a large magnitude difference. You don't speak to "most" people I know, as most people I know have no problem reading on a phone screen for an extended period of time.

I know many cachers in my area who definitely are willing to spend more than 15 minutes to read provided information, but they would not want to spend that time at the cache site. If the text is in the cache description, everyone can decide whatever information to take along for the hunt and which part of the additional information one wants to read when and where.

Why not if the journey or sights along the way are worth the time to actually visit? Would you really spend only 15 minutes at the Grand Canyon if a cache took you there? Empire State Building? South Beach? Big Ben? Normandy? The National Mall in Washington D.C.? The Tokyo Imperial Palace? You're also not standing at that one spot the entire 15 minutes; I would venture to guess that you would spend no more than 2-3 minutes at each spot as you are provided the information at each zone and read through it, just like a traditional multi and your beloved piece of paper.

So for me it is preferable to have information available before the visit, during the visit and after the visit.

All of which is available to you online on the cache page (before OR after) or when you're doing your intercache. If you find something interesting, make a note of it and look it up when you get home. Most cache pages I've seen at least let you know where you're going and what you're doing. I read some of the multi cache pages of ones you've done and on some of them there's significantly less information there about WHERE you're going and WHAT you'll see and MORE about what you need to do to go on to the next stage.

I do not like standard audio tours.

Why am I not surprised?

No, not only the lack of a paper printout - there is also no electronic version available offsite and this brings along all the disadvantages I mentioned above.

So ask the CO to send you the information. I would, if someone asked. Heck, I'd even send you more than you asked so that you'd be more like a native resident than some who have lived their whole lives here. It's not like it's going to help them get through it any faster and they can peruse it at their leisure. Problem solved, but I'm guessing that would be too much of an inconvenience for you to undertake.

I guess you are younger and have much better eyes than me. I already have big troubles when I want to read a single sentence on someone else's device when there is a debate about the meaning of something.

Most smartphones now allow the user to choose the size of font (and font type) they wish to have as their default display. If not that, then users can pinch and zoom so the text and images become larger. Problem solved.

I just provided argument that support the classical way of caching in the setting of guided tours.

No you didn't. First reply - all about the intercache. Second reply - more about the information provided in the description than about the difference of the two. Third reply - apply to both and the last sentence about the intercache. Fourth reply - again about the intercache. Firth reply - apply to both. Sixth reply - about neither? Both have a description so no advantage to either there. Seventh reply - about the intercache. Eighth reply - about the intercache.

All you did was highlight what you don't like about this new tour cache that uses the intercache platform in 5 of your 8 replies. The other three apply equally to both types. There is absolutely NOTHING except your repeated reference to paper print outs and control over provided information that differentiates your love for the classical multi tour over this new type of multi tour.

All these annoyances that you have raised all have simple solutions to the supposed problems but you make them sound like major inconveniences and they're not. NOT having a smartphone or having a limited data plan is a major inconvenience when considering whether or not you can do an intercache. Not having an electronic copy is a minor inconvenience and one that you can get taken care of so it's NOT an inconvenience.

In no way do I find EITHER method (written or entered on a phone) of moving onto the next stage better or worse than the other, just different. As a lover of multis, I envy you the sheer number you have within a short distance. If I had time for only one cache and I had to choose between an intercache and a multi, I would choose the multi.

That being said, the difference between a classic multi tour and the Intercache is neglibible, the ONLY major difference being the requirement of a smartphone (which in its own right is a stumbling block for many people right now). The only other difference I can make note of is if there is a physical container at some stages but I don't see why you couldn't have a physical container in an intercache at one of the stages as well. Find the container and enter the # you find inside to go to the next stage. You use your GPSr to go from zone to zone; you use your phone to go from zone to zone. You are asked to find a number or do some math (or some other task) to get the coordinates to the next stage on both of them; one you can write down the answer and then you need to input the coordinates into your GPSr; the other you enter the answer into the phone and the next zone pops up, coordinates already provided. One takes you on a tour; the other takes you on a tour. One has a container at the end of the tour; the other has a container at the end of the tour. The ONLY argument you have that has even the slightest bit of merit is the supposed "control" over the information you have been provided with. All I can say to that is that you can just scroll on through the information on an intercache if you have neither the time nor the inclination to see what the CO has to say. Again, problem solved without much time lost.

I know this is going to fall on deaf ears because your mind is already made up. I did this more for me than for you and on the extremely slim chance that maybe, just maybe, you might be able to see that what you see as a major problems might actually be small ones that are easily overcome, regardless of the topic. Lab caches don't have enough characters available - there's a way around that. Intercaches don't allow for paper printouts and control of the information you're provided - there's a way around that. Intercaches MUST be done on a smartphone - THIS is a major inconvenience, but even here, there's a way around that. Go with a friend who has one. These new types of caches aren't what I like to do - there's a way around that; put them on your ignore list and leave them to people who want to push the boundaries of caching into new areas that may or may not work.

However the amount of information that most people want to read on a tiny screen is limited.

Most people? Or most people YOU know? There's a difference and it's a large magnitude difference. You don't speak to "most" people I know, as most people I know have no problem reading on a phone screen for an extended period of time.

At least almost all cachers in my area (not only the ones I know) and 99% of the people I know outside of geocaching. At least they prefer paper or large screens if it can be arranged that way. This refers however to longer texts and not 3 sentences at every stage.

Why not if the journey or sights along the way are worth the time to actually visit? Would you really spend only 15 minutes at the Grand Canyon if a cache took you there? Empire State Building? South Beach? Big Ben? Normandy? The National Mall in Washington D.C.? The Tokyo Imperial Palace? You're also not standing at that one spot the entire 15 minutes; I would venture to guess that you would spend no more than 2-3 minutes at each spot as you are provided the information at each zone and read through it, just like a traditional multi and your beloved piece of paper.

I would spend hours in the Grand Canyon or in Normandy, but not with reading regardless of whether it is a traditional multi or something else.

I guess we are talking about a different level of information. I read a lot before I visit interesting places, I read what I additionally want to know while at the location while being there and I often read more when being at home again.

All of which is available to you online on the cache page (before OR after) or when you're doing your intercache. If you find something interesting, make a note of it and look it up when you get home.

If the intercache cache page provides all the information on the cache page (I did not expect that to be the case), then everything is fine. I expected that the intercache cache page just provides short information on the location, but no details about history, architecture, art etc

Most cache pages I've seen at least let you know where you're going and what you're doing. I read some of the multi cache pages of ones you've done and on some of them there's significantly less information there about WHERE you're going and WHAT you'll see and MORE about what you need to do to go on to the next stage.

That's definitely true. Guided tours that put a high focus on the history of a location are not very frequent in my area and many cache hiders just copy information from wikipedia and there is nothing new for me. But once in a while someone comes up with a gem and has found information that is not easily available.

We might talk about different levels of information. I typically cache in areas I know and welcome information that goes well beyond what can be found in the internet. For example, I might want to know who designed certain tombs, information about stylistic elements etc like in a class for art history.

This type of information will be skipped by many and I would skip all what I already know.

So ask the CO to send you the information. I would, if someone asked. Heck, I'd even send you more than you asked so that you'd be more like a native resident than some who have lived their whole lives here. It's not like it's going to help them get through it any faster and they can peruse it at their leisure. Problem solved, but I'm guessing that would be too much of an inconvenience for you to undertake.

No, it would not be too much. Without knowing a cacher well and without a notice in the cache page that the hider might be kind, I guess that I would not dare to ask however.

Most smartphones now allow the user to choose the size of font (and font type) they wish to have as their default display. If not that, then users can pinch and zoom so the text and images become larger. Problem solved.

I know and I mentioned zooming, but I find it hard to read long texts in this way and it becomes even more harder to skip material I already know or do not want to read at the moment. This is however exactly what I do with paper or also on a large monitor.

All these annoyances that you have raised all have simple solutions to the supposed problems but you make them sound like major inconveniences and they're not. NOT having a smartphone or having a limited data plan is a major inconvenience when considering whether or not you can do an intercache. Not having an electronic copy is a minor inconvenience and one that you can get taken care of so it's NOT an inconvenience.

We will never agree. I do not have a smartphone and I do not have mobile internet. Still I regard the aspects that I mentioned as much more restrictive from my point of view.

As I mentioned I did one classical Wherigo together with others because I do not own a device for Wherigos and I found the experience awful even though there was no information part included.

If I had time for only one cache and I had to choose between an intercache and a multi, I would choose the multi.

That's interesting to read as my posts in this thread were mainly motivated by the fact that I got the feeling that some people think that setting up a guided tour as an intercache or Wherigo is better than the classical style and that they would prefer if this method replaced the classical style.

If there is a cemetery or other tour now or then, that is set up as intercache/Wherigo/etc, I do not mind at all.

I still believe however that the real value of intercaches lies in setting up caches that cannot be set up in the classical way. I do not have a negative opinion on intercaches in general. I just feel that when they are used for classic tours, the ones who prefer classical caches for whatever reason have more to lose than the paperless cachers.

Cezanne

With intercaches everything gets lost and is only viewable directly at the location (at least this is what I understood it is like).

You can set up an intercache that way. Or you can set it up so that all locations are always visible regardless of your physical location. The choice is up to the cache owner. For a cemetery cache, you could have 20 locations that were always visible and didn't enforce location, but would require collecting information to calculate a final. Then you can view everything from your desk before leaving.

Is it easier to set up than a Wherigo?

I think it is. The simplest version of it:

- open the intercaching.com page and login (create an account if you haven't already)

- create a new intercache

- walk around, press "save location" at interesting spots

- back at your desk, fill in the description (if you didn't do it in the field), and connect the locations together via simple checkboxes

You can get more complex if you add constraints that limit players ability to see locations unless they have picked up an "item" or have visited other locations.

For a variation I plan on rolling into intercaching in some capacity, try a "mob" cache:

http://chilehead.us/mob/

Basically, you need to get a group of people together with smart phones within a specified distance from a location before coordinates are revealed. There have been a few published

And yes, all the same (and more!) constraints that an intercache has. You need friends with smart devices. This really works best at a geocaching event where you are likely to have a group already.

For a variation I plan on rolling into intercaching in some capacity, try a "mob" cache:

Basically, you need to get a group of people together with smart phones within a specified distance from a location before coordinates are revealed. There have been a few published

And yes, all the same (and more!) constraints that an intercache has. You need friends with smart devices. This really works best at a geocaching event where you are likely to have a group already.

This looks like alot of fun. We should try that here.

a62169bf-2cba-4aa3-9e79-f2f42be817a8.jpg

Is it easier to set up than a Wherigo?

I think it is. The simplest version of it:

- open the intercaching.com page and login (create an account if you haven't already)

- create a new intercache

- walk around, press "save location" at interesting spots

- back at your desk, fill in the description (if you didn't do it in the field), and connect the locations together via simple checkboxes

You can get more complex if you add constraints that limit players ability to see locations unless they have picked up an "item" or have visited other locations.

ChiliHead, is it possible to list some examples of the different ways people are using intercaching? Or perhaps have some intercaches setup in demo mode on intercaching.com that people from around the world can run through them and get ideas without having their locations checked?

I'm creating an intercache for our upcoming Maker event for educational purposes. It's going to be fairly short (10-15 minutes) and the focus is to highlight some of the different ways intercaching can be used. Until I read this thread, it didn't occur to me what could be done beyond a point-to-point tour of an area.

For my demo intercache, the first location will be very simple, like my cemetery tour. Go to the location, answer a question and the next location is revealed. At the second location, they will brought to a trail junction. Here, there will be no question-to-answer. Instead, they will be given the choice of whether to go left or right. At the next location, there will be an item that they can pickup. Then they will be revealed the next location where they can use the item. Maybe after that, several locations will be revealed at once (to mix things up, 1 of the locations will include a physical stage). They will have to visit all the locations, but will get to decide which order to visit them in. After they get all their information, they will be able to get to the final. I'm trying to see if there's anything I can add to this.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

It would be nice if you figured out a way for us Luddites to find these caches. I guess that defeats the point?

I have always known that there are caches that I will never be able to find. Rappelling caches, caches deep in caves, (I freak out in elevators), puzzles where you need a WWII enigma machine to solve. When I started in 2005, it was easy to avoid the caches that we couldn't or had no desire to find. There are probably 10 times the active cache now than then, so I still think that since these caches are special and unique, either a cache type, attribute, or simply require the word, "Intercache", in it's name should be required.

To The_Incredibles_, I'm glad that your cache has had a positive effect on your local area. I would really like to follow this thread, but unfortunately, you have been Cezanne'd, and I simply can't follow the gobbly goop, so I'm out of this one...

It would be nice if you figured out a way for us Luddites to find these caches. I guess that defeats the point?

I have always known that there are caches that I will never be able to find. Rappelling caches, caches deep in caves, (I freak out in elevators), puzzles where you need a WWII enigma machine to solve. When I started in 2005, it was easy to avoid the caches that we couldn't or had no desire to find. There are probably 10 times the active cache now than then, so I still think that since these caches are special and unique, either a cache type, attribute, or simply require the word, "Intercache", in it's name should be required.

I'm really stoked about this new type of cache. I don't think they exclude anyone, really. Just go along with a friend who has a smartphone. People have been doing this with my cemetery cache and it works just fine. Or intercache owners can create an alternate way to find the final. I saw one intercache where they put a puzzle to solve on the cache page for those who didn't want to/couldn't do the intercache.

On www.intercaching.com, they suggest making your cache a multi. I specifically made mine a mystery cache because with mystery caches, people always look at the cache page before going out. With a multi, people might go to the listed coordinates with certain expectations, then be surprised to see an intercache. I agree, putting the word 'intercache' in the title would be helpful.

No, it would not be too much. Without knowing a cacher well and without a notice in the cache page that the hider might be kind, I guess that I would not dare to ask however.

Worst case scenario, you never hear from them. Perhaps you hear from them and they say no and finally perhaps they send you what you want.

With the exception of only a few cachers of the hundreds I've interacted with (personally and via email), geocachers, by and large, are a friendly lot and will help out fellow cachers when given the opportunity.

On www.intercaching.com, they suggest making your cache a multi.

Our reviewers wish for us to list them as unknowns. We've also been asked to list all the stages as waypoints, either "Question to Answer" or "Reference Point". A bit more work but not a big deal, unless you've got LOTS of stages.

I will have one published an hour before my Maker event. I know of only one other in my state and am looking forward to the logs.

On www.intercaching.com, they suggest making your cache a multi.

Our reviewers wish for us to list them as unknowns. We've also been asked to list all the stages as waypoints, either "Question to Answer" or "Reference Point". A bit more work but not a big deal, unless you've got LOTS of stages.

The official policy direct from Groundspeak is to list them as multis. In most cases that's how they play out, but I can see cases where it makes more sense to list as unknown. They play mostly like an offset cache, which should be listed as a multi.

I will have one published an hour before my Maker event. I know of only one other in my state and am looking forward to the logs.

The mob is a bit more finicky than an intercache. It mostly works, but I've seen some people have problems though I suspect it's a device instance or browser oddity.

ChiliHead, is it possible to list some examples of the different ways people are using intercaching?

Most are set up as linear tours. My first one is a walking tour of my village with stops at most of the historical markers set up to point out some local history. At about half the stops I ask a question before you can move on (enter a year for example.) I always recommend having at least one question/answer on an intercache to reduce cheating, as it's possible to fake things out on a desktop computer if you know what you are doing.

My second one is similar, but uses an exercise trail instead of historical markers.

Most of the first ones are set up this way, go to from A to B to C to D to ... to final.

Changes were added later to add in support for constraints, meaning you could restrict access to locations unless you have visited another location, or picked up a virtual "item". This gives you much more capability to build adventure experiences.

Also added was the ability to make non-linear games, meaning you are given a choice at each location as to where you want to move next.

One of mine is a Wizard of Oz theme, which requires you to visit 3 characters (Ms Gulch, Professor Marvel, and Aunt whats-her-name) and also find and pick up Toto, before returning to the farm. Once you return to the farm with Toto, the tornado comes and whisks you off to Oz. Once at Oz, you have to pick up the Ruby slippers before you can move on, and then find the scarecrow, tinman, and lion. Order is not specified so you are free to visit them in any order. Once you visit all three you can move on to take care of the witch, by finding a bucket of water and throwing it on her. Do that, get the coords to the cache.

One of the intercaches out there has 50 stops, one representing the capital of each of the US states. From each location, you have a choice of moving on to another location, the list being the set of connected states. You have to visit all 50 states (I think) before you can get the cache coordinates.

Or perhaps have some intercaches setup in demo mode on intercaching.com that people from around the world can run through them and get ideas without having their locations checked?

I don't have any demo mode caches. You can build an intercache that is completely free of coordinate checking, so I could take something like the Oz cache and make a copy of it without coord checks at each location to give a feeling for a non-linear cache with items, characters and actions.

I'm creating an intercache for our upcoming Maker event for educational purposes. It's going to be fairly short (10-15 minutes) and the focus is to highlight some of the different ways intercaching can be used. Until I read this thread, it didn't occur to me what could be done beyond a point-to-point tour of an area.

For my demo intercache, the first location will be very simple, like my cemetery tour. Go to the location, answer a question and the next location is revealed. At the second location, they will brought to a trail junction. Here, there will be no question-to-answer. Instead, they will be given the choice of whether to go left or right. At the next location, there will be an item that they can pickup. Then they will be revealed the next location where they can use the item. Maybe after that, several locations will be revealed at once (to mix things up, 1 of the locations will include a physical stage). They will have to visit all the locations, but will get to decide which order to visit them in. After they get all their information, they will be able to get to the final. I'm trying to see if there's anything I can add to this.

Sounds like a good demo. A simple linear point to point would be a good intro. Your second one would show off more capabilities. Seems it covers most of the capabilities. While there is no explicit support for actions, you can simulate it. In my Oz cache I have a location called "Throw water at witch" which is only visible if you have the bucket of water. There are no coordinates associated with that "location", but it makes it look and play like an action.

I'm not Manville Possum Hunters, but in some way I feel similarly. I still recall vividly the first Wherigo I did (and the only typical one of three) and where I joined a group. Even though I did not have to look at a tiny screen all the time (because my GPS-r cannot work with Wherigos anyway), it somehow felt like distracting from the nature, the walk etc.

When I do a multicache, I use the GPS-receiver only for navigating when necessary (but even here I prefer if most of the time I just can follow trail markings, way descriptions etc and do not need to look at the GPS-receiver constantly). For reading the questions and all other stuff I use printouts which I only take out at the stages when needed.

If one constantly needs to look at a display and need to type in things frequently, the experience gets annoying to me and it feels like work where I use a computer many hours per day.

That seems like a really quirky way to cache. I can't imagine any type of cache, be it a multi, a letterbox hybrid, a Wherigo or an Intercache, where the seeker would be compelled to keep their nose buried in their GPSr. No... That's not quite true. I recall one Wherigo which had zones so close together that you barely had time to read / absorb the text, and you were at the next stop. That one didn't wow me.

The other 80 gazillion or so Wherigo caches I've done behaved just like an interactive multi. You start at a zone, then get coordinates / directions to the next zone. Lather, rinse, repeat, till you get to the final. If, at one zone, I get instructions to the effect of, "Hike generally north, about half a mile, to the Smurf Zone, N28* 12.345, W81* 54.321, which is at the intersection of the Red Trail and the Blue Trail", unless I suffered from short term memory loss, I can't imagine needing to look at my device till I got there. The same thinking applies to answering questions. You should only be doing that at the zones, not along the trail.

Don't suppose there's a version of the mob that allows multiple locations - but all at the same time?

That would allow the mob to be distributed - and could make for some interesting cooperative caches...

Nope, not at this time. But I have had others ask for it.

Could it be worth a little extra coding to bring joy to our lives? :D

The official policy direct from Groundspeak is to list them as multis. In most cases that's how they play out, but I can see cases where it makes more sense to list as unknown. They play mostly like an offset cache, which should be listed as a multi.
There are regional variations in where the line is drawn between multi-caches and mystery/puzzle caches. For example, around here in the San Francisco Bay area, caches that require merely copying information from existing plaques and monuments and other existing objects (like GC1EM3H) are consistently listed as multi-caches. But when I was in Massachusetts a couple years ago, they were consistently listed as mystery/puzzle caches. When I pointed this out, the locals were surprised that they would be listed as multi-caches in California.

But as I wrote earlier, I think it would have been better for the Wherigo cache type to have been created as a more general type, that could include all interactive multi-stage caches, whether they use Wherigo or Intercaches or something else.

While I completed the Intercache in question yesterday and had a great time doing it, I personally don't plan on making my own. I want to make sure that all of my caches are available to be found by any cacher who wants to do so. For this reason, I don't plan on hiding a Wherigo, Chirp, Intercache or any other specific-technology-dependent style. The closest any of my caches comes to this is my radio cache, but nearly everyone already has ready access to an FM radio, or can acquire one for dirt-cheap (much cheaper than a new GPSr or smartphone would be to do the other styles). Don't get me wrong, I enjoy finding those other styles when I have the required technology and Intercaching is a great improvement over the abandoned Wherigo concept, it's just my personal preference not to put such restrictions on my own caches. YMMV

@ChileHead: When I was doing the Intercache yesterday on my iPhone, it didn't seem to be using the magnetic compass for the heading. If I stood still, the heading would bounce wildly, and would only settle down once I started walking for a bit. Is it supposed to be using the magnetic compass if present, or will it always use a differential method (ie. determine heading based on direction of travel) to determine the heading? If it will never use the magnetic compass, it might be good to mention that somewhere, because I think the common assumption would be that it would be used. Just wondering.

Edit to add: Forgot to mention PMO. I have no PMO hides and don't plan on making any of my hides PMO in the future.

Edited by The A-Team

While I completed the Intercache in question yesterday and had a great time doing it, I personally don't plan on making my own. I want to make sure that all of my caches are available to be found by any cacher who wants to do so.

I was originally that way but after some deliberation I decided to make a large chunk of my caches premium only. Due to the cost associated with maintaining some of them and the time involved in creating some of the containers, I just felt better about not having brand new cachers going after my caches due to them not knowing more about what caching is and entails. I had one open to all cachers that was somewhat clever (IMO) but it got destroyed in less than 6 months. The more recent hides of mine have been for everyone as the cost and time for those is negligible. I plan on making my intercache available to all cachers but understand that all cachers don't have access to a smartphone. Those that don't are more than welcome to tag along with those that do and log a find. That might have bothered me in the past but not as much now.

While I completed the Intercache in question yesterday and had a great time doing it, I personally don't plan on making my own. I want to make sure that all of my caches are available to be found by any cacher who wants to do so. For this reason, I don't plan on hiding a Wherigo, Chirp, Intercache or any other specific-technology-dependent style. The closest any of my caches comes to this is my radio cache, but nearly everyone already has ready access to an FM radio, or can acquire one for dirt-cheap (much cheaper than a new GPSr or smartphone would be to do the other styles). Don't get me wrong, I enjoy finding those other styles when I have the required technology and Intercaching is a great improvement over the abandoned Wherigo concept, it's just my personal preference not to put such restrictions on my own caches. YMMV

The logic with this doesn't really follow. There are plenty of caches which, by their nature, are restricted to certain cachers and I don't see you taking a stand against them. Your CRD Challenge cache is a perfect example. Only a handful of people in town going to be able to complete that. You might remember suggesting that in order to complete the challenge, I go find a cache up a logging road which requires a 4x4 vehicle and a day away from my kids. It would be alot easier for someone to borrow their friend's smartphone to do a cache than for me to borrow someone's jeep and leave my family for a day. Looking at alternate ways to complete said challenge I 1) either need a boat 2) and/or need to be able to hike steep terrain. I have friends with health issues who are physically not able to do that. They would not be able to complete your challenge. I certainly wouldn't expect you to modify your challenge so myself and my friends can complete it.

Requiring a smartphone is one of the least restrictive things you can do as most people can buddy up with someone who has one or, in the case of my cemetery cache, can use the cache page to connect with someone who has one. There are a number of cachers I can think of off-hand who don't have a smartphone, purely by choice. They certainly have enough money to afford one, just choose not to. If they don't want to buy a smartphone or make the effort to buddy up with someone who does, then they are excluding *themselves*.

There are hiking caches which only a limited number of people here can do. There are island caches which you need a boat to get to. There are puzzles which only a handful of people can solve. There are caches which require a 4-wheel-drive vehicle to get to. There are underwater caches which require scuba gear/experience. I have no problem with not being able to do these caches, nor would I have a problem creating one knowing that only certain people could find it. I think the more variety we have, the better. It makes things much more interesting.

I think many people are just resistant to change. They have a fondness for the 'good old days' and want things to always remain the same. It just won't happen.

The other 80 gazillion or so Wherigo caches I've done behaved just like an interactive multi. You start at a zone, then get coordinates / directions to the next zone. Lather, rinse, repeat, till you get to the final. If, at one zone, I get instructions to the effect of, "Hike generally north, about half a mile, to the Smurf Zone, N28* 12.345, W81* 54.321, which is at the intersection of the Red Trail and the Blue Trail", unless I suffered from short term memory loss, I can't imagine needing to look at my device till I got there. The same thinking applies to answering questions. You should only be doing that at the zones, not along the trail.

I do not have much experience with Wherigos - the first one I did had a quite number of stages that were not far from each other and it was partly hard to arrive in the right zone which I found annoying.

Regardless of Wherigo, intercache or whatever setup I expect that a cache that shows many graves on a cemetery (except if it is really a large cemetery) does not involve larger distances (200m will often already be a large distance in such a setting).

Cezanne

One of mine is a Wizard of Oz theme, which requires you to visit 3 characters (Ms Gulch, Professor Marvel, and Aunt whats-her-name) and also find and pick up Toto, before returning to the farm. Once you return to the farm with Toto, the tornado comes and whisks you off to Oz. Once at Oz, you have to pick up the Ruby slippers before you can move on, and then find the scarecrow, tinman, and lion. Order is not specified so you are free to visit them in any order. Once you visit all three you can move on to take care of the witch, by finding a bucket of water and throwing it on her. Do that, get the coords to the cache.

Thanks for the reply. I find your Wizard of Oz intercache intriguing. B)

Here's a storyboard of the Oz cache:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1CmiTxSsAnAGfgWMbXfd1OFPAo6W4kYfkThPE2ZP24cA/pub?start=false&loop=false&delayms=3000

Requiring a smartphone is one of the least restrictive things you can do as most people can buddy up with someone who has one or, in the case of my cemetery cache, can use the cache page to connect with someone who has one. There are a number of cachers I can think of off-hand who don't have a smartphone, purely by choice. They certainly have enough money to afford one, just choose not to. If they don't want to buy a smartphone or make the effort to buddy up with someone who does, then they are excluding *themselves*.

I think many people are just resistant to change. They have a fondness for the 'good old days' and want things to always remain the same. It just won't happen.

So, it's a type of cache that require special, expensive equipment (that many of us do not have.) (I don't do Wherigos or kayaking caches.) (Or tree climbing.) So? It's a 5* difficulty or terrain for requiring special equipment?

Resistant to change? That's rather pompous. As long as it's properly rated with 5* for requiring special equipment, it would be easy for me to ignore. Perhaps caches requiring smartphones should have their own icon?

It certainly does not fit in with: Download the cache to your GPS and go for it.

@ChileHead: When I was doing the Intercache yesterday on my iPhone, it didn't seem to be using the magnetic compass for the heading. If I stood still, the heading would bounce wildly, and would only settle down once I started walking for a bit. Is it supposed to be using the magnetic compass if present, or will it always use a differential method (ie. determine heading based on direction of travel) to determine the heading? If it will never use the magnetic compass, it might be good to mention that somewhere, because I think the common assumption would be that it would be used. Just wondering.

Currently it calculates bearing based on where you are, and where you were. It's not using the digital compass right now, as access to it is a bit more of a pain to get consistent across iOS and Android through the browser (native code would be easier.) From what I've seen, it's easier to get it correct with iOS so I might put that out first.

There is, I think, a help screen accessible from the navigation screen telling you that you need to keep moving for the compass to be correct.

The logic with this doesn't really follow. There are plenty of caches which, by their nature, are restricted to certain cachers and I don't see you taking a stand against them. Your CRD Challenge cache is a perfect example. Only a handful of people in town going to be able to complete that. You might remember suggesting that in order to complete the challenge, I go find a cache up a logging road which requires a 4x4 vehicle and a day away from my kids. It would be alot easier for someone to borrow their friend's smartphone to do a cache than for me to borrow someone's jeep and leave my family for a day. Looking at alternate ways to complete said challenge I 1) either need a boat 2) and/or need to be able to hike steep terrain. I have friends with health issues who are physically not able to do that. They would not be able to complete your challenge. I certainly wouldn't expect you to modify your challenge so myself and my friends can complete it.

Requiring a smartphone is one of the least restrictive things you can do as most people can buddy up with someone who has one or, in the case of my cemetery cache, can use the cache page to connect with someone who has one.

I was thinking the same thing. Challenge caches are probably the most restrictive type because they are designed for an elite group with fitness, stamina, supportive friends and family, money to travel far and wide, lots of spare time, equipment like boat/4x4/climbing equipment, a competitive streak, and a desire to cache for stats, in order to find a LOT of caches and cache types to qualify for most challenges.

Edited by L0ne.R

So, it's a type of cache that require special, expensive equipment (that many of us do not have.) (I don't do Wherigos or kayaking caches.) (Or tree climbing.) So? It's a 5* difficulty or terrain for requiring special equipment?

Resistant to change? That's rather pompous. As long as it's properly rated with 5* for requiring special equipment, it would be easy for me to ignore. Perhaps caches requiring smartphones should have their own icon?

It certainly does not fit in with: Download the cache to your GPS and go for it.

Like it or not, the percentage of mobile phones that are smart vs "feature" is going up. Well over 60% of phones are smart phones these days, which is both good and bad. Bad because now households that probably should not be spending $150/month and up are, bad because we (myself including) are way too addicted to our devices, bad because we are nation of people walking around looking at a tiny screen instead of one another.

Personally, I would much rather cache with my GPS vs my phone. I almost never use my phone for caching unless it's a spur of the moment thing, or if I don't have the cache loaded, or if I'm doing a Wherigo or intercache.

I'd love someone to make intercaches in my area, with a 5 star terrain rating. That'd help my grid! :D

Bad because now households that probably should not be spending $150/month and up are

We pay $100 per YEAR for each of our phones. (We don't use them much.) If we want to use data out in the field, I think it's something like $1 for 10 MB, or $5 for 60. We rarely use data, though. But I might be induced to if there were an intercache in our area. ;)

I'd love someone to make intercaches in my area, with a 5 star terrain rating. That'd help my grid! :D

Bad because now households that probably should not be spending $150/month and up are

We pay $100 per YEAR for each of our phones. (We don't use them much.) If we want to use data out in the field, I think it's something like $1 for 10 MB, or $5 for 60. We rarely use data, though. But I might be induced to if there were an intercache in our area. ;)

I agree, technology has its cons. We don't spend $150/month (and wouldn't), but then again, we got our smartphone unlocked (gift from my sister-in-law). We go with the cheapest plan available, which works out to $16/month. We rarely use it as a phone. It's mainly my caching toy. Mr Incredible likes buying new toys and went on and on about getting a smartphone for the longest time. I resisted him for a long time as I didn't see the need for it, but now that we do have it, I find it very handy for caching, traveling, and reading e-books.

Here's a storyboard of the Oz cache:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1CmiTxSsAnAGfgWMbXfd1OFPAo6W4kYfkThPE2ZP24cA/pub?start=false&loop=false&delayms=3000

Brilliant. I like the way you used lots of pictures, including for the objects people need to pick up. I will try to do something similar for my 2nd intercache.

I agree, technology has its cons. We don't spend $150/month (and wouldn't), but then again, we got our smartphone unlocked (gift from my sister-in-law). We go with the cheapest plan available, which works out to $16/month. We rarely use it as a phone. It's mainly my caching toy. Mr Incredible likes buying new toys and went on and on about getting a smartphone for the longest time. I resisted him for a long time as I didn't see the need for it, but now that we do have it, I find it very handy for caching, traveling, and reading e-books.

My smartphone has made geocaching more spontaneous for me. There are lots of times when I don't have my gps with me but have an opportunity to search for a geocache. There have been times when I set out to go geocaching, drive 40 minutes to my destination and discover that I forgot my gps at home. Before smartphones, forgetting my gps ruined my caching day. There are also times when I'm passing by an area and wonder if there's a cache around - I usually only download my Traditionals/no micros PQ to my GPS but if I'm passing a cemetery I might stop for a micro. A quick check of my app and I'm caching. My carpy 62S sometimes does weird things, my smartphone is my backup when my gps goes wonky. Occasionally unbeknownst to me, I'm the FTF at a cache. I like to log those out in the field because I know how disappointed FTFers get when the actual FTF waits hours or days to post.

Getting back to intercaches....a smartphone attribute would be very useful. Last week I did a letterbox series that used QR codes. You can't get the final cache without using a smartphone to scan QR codes to get passwords and then use the passwords to go to a website where you get clues that lead you to the final box. It's not an intercache series but it's very much a field smartphone cache series.

Edited by L0ne.R

Got mine out there and think that I might be getting some additional help in getting the word out about the cache. I received permission from the organization who is running the trail to use their info from the website and she asked if I minded if she mentioned it through social media outlets and their newsletter. I only did one section of the trail and have two left, one already in the works so hopefully I'll be able to have the entire 8 mile section covered. I thought about doing it in one intercache but thought that would be a bit much for one day.

I use both my smartphone and my GPSr when I cache, but the phone is more spur of the moment like L0ne.R. I have it with me when I'm out hiking and not using it (for emergencies) and will also pull it out if I like the area and want to see if there's a cache there or not (either to possibly hide or find).

Getting back to intercaches....a smartphone attribute would be very useful. Last week I did a letterbox series that used QR codes. You can't get the final cache without using a smartphone to scan QR codes to get passwords and then use the passwords to go to a website where you get clues that lead you to the final box. It's not an intercache series but it's very much a field smartphone cache series.

A smartphone attribute might be useful for people who want to filter them out. Other than that, the use would be kind of limited. How often do you check the attributes before you go out? I think it's far more useful for cache owners to state the need for a smartphone on their cache page AND make them all mysteries so people are inclined to read the cache pages ahead of time.

If intercaches take off, definitely a new cache type would be appropriate.

A smartphone attribute might be useful for people who want to filter them out. Other than that, the use would be kind of limited. How often do you check the attributes before you go out? I think it's far more useful for cache owners to state the need for a smartphone on their cache page AND make them all mysteries so people are inclined to read the cache pages ahead of time.

I guess I'm one of the few who checks attributes and extensively uses them when filtering. The PQ I use most has 8 excluded attributes. If GS provides an attribute and people who don't have smartphones refuse to use them, well, they don't have a leg to stand on. If GS created a cache type for Intercaches, what would the cache type be for the letterbox/puzzle/multi that uses uses QR codes and needs access to a website while in the field?

I agree that it's most important to state the need for a smartphone up front and prominently. Most people will read the description when it comes to a mystery cache. I like the idea of putting Intercache in the cache title.

Edited by L0ne.R

You can set up an intercache that way. Or you can set it up so that all locations are always visible regardless of your physical location. The choice is up to the cache owner. For a cemetery cache, you could have 20 locations that were always visible and didn't enforce location, but would require collecting information to calculate a final. Then you can view everything from your desk before leaving.

Are there examples of such caches available? I've tried to look at a few at the intercaching site a while ago and I found not a single one that I could look at from my location.

I knew that it is not required to enforce locations, but it seems to be popular and probably is only one of the reasons (not the only one) why people are attracted by this location dependent feature of Wherigos, intercaches etc

Edited by cezanne

I knew that it is not required to enforce locations, but it seems to be popular and probably is only one of the reasons (not the only one) why people are attracted by this location dependent feature of Wherigos, intercaches etc

I'm not personally concerned about enforcing locations. The only reason for enforcing locations is to make sure they got to the right spot so they can get the full experience. After all, if they want to cheat, they can just email their buddy for the final coordinates. What I like most with intercaching over a traditional multi is that you don't have to spend time writing things down, calculating the next coords etc. It's just alot faster and nicer to go from stage to stage with the intercache. It makes it more enjoyable, IMO for the person setting it up and the cachers doing it.

Since I don't have a smartphone. I'm not caching on the fly, so to speak. I'm using a GPS that I loaded a pocket query into. The ability to exclude caches that my GPS can not find would be very beneficial.

Since I don't have a smartphone. I'm not caching on the fly, so to speak. I'm using a GPS that I loaded a pocket query into. The ability to exclude caches that my GPS can not find would be very beneficial.

I don't know if it's been specifically requested but I would imagine that a fair number of geocachers would find a "Requires a smart phone" attribute pretty useful.

The only reason for enforcing locations is to make sure they got to the right spot so they can get the full experience. After all, if they want to cheat, they can just email their buddy for the final coordinates.

I did not have cheating in mind. If a cache sends me to a stage I have passed more than 1000 times and know the answer by heart, I well restrict myself when doing that particular cache to the locations where I really need to go to. With enforced stage visits this cannot be done. It's a bit like in school when everyone gets to the same set of exercises regardless of whether there is any need to practice.

What I like most with intercaching over a traditional multi is that you don't have to spend time writing things down, calculating the next coords etc. It's just alot faster and nicer to go from stage to stage with the intercache. It makes it more enjoyable, IMO for the person setting it up and the cachers doing it.

I'd say it depends on the person. I know many cachers for whom it will be more enjoyable (that's also the reason why in this group tools that do the calculations if the values for the variables are entered are popular), but also cachers for whom it's the other way round (I belong to the latter group).

In case of a cemetery multi cache, the implementation I prefer would provide all stage coordinates and only a single calculation would show up at the very end and outside of the area with graves.

I neither would want to stay around at a cemetery and doing calculations or would I want to type things into a smartphone there. It feels respectless to me, but that's just me and everyone will differ on what he feels comfortable with to do on a cemetery.

While paddle caches and climbing cache are of course also excluding many cachers, the difference in my opinion is that the key idea of paddle and climbing caches is to offer a cache for those who enjoy paddling/climbing and have the required capabilities.

There is of course nothing wrong with setting up a cemetery cache as an intercache, but in that case the availability of a smartphone and enjoying a cemetery tour have anything in common.

It is certainly true that one can ask someone with a smartphone if one wants to visit a specific intercache (or other cache that requires a smartphone). The same is true if one wants to visits a specific cache

for which a special ladder or other tool is required. If the number of caches with such extra requirements stays comparatively low this will not be an issue. Either someone who in general prefers to cache alone will either ignore such caches or sometimes make an exception and join a group.

I cannot prove it with concrete numbers, but to me it feels that more and more expensive equipment (very strong torches, UV torches, special ladders, smartphones and many other things) is required for a increasing number of caches while in the early days often not even a GPS-receiver was really required. I could buy a lot of things, but it makes me unhappy that equipment became so important in geocaching. Sometimes I feel that what I learnt to know as geocaching back then, has nothing to do what's geocaching today. It's not about being against changes.

Cezanne