Coin missing...any help appreciated.

Governor Worf

Hello all...

I have a geocoin (Ken's Coin) that I put out as a memorial for an elderly friend who enjoyed hearing my geostories, though he could rarely go out himself due to health reasons. The coin was picked up in September by DeWane1 on the Oregon coast. The problem is that, though he has two cache finds, he is a non-validated member, and his profile says he has "never" visited Geocaching. Since he is an non-validated member, his contact info is not published, so I can not get ahold of him to see why the coin has not been deposited in a new location.

Any thoughts?? I find it strange that a person who has "never" visited (as it says on his profile) can have two finds and be recorded as taking my coin.

Again, any help would be appreciated.

Governor Worf

Hello all...

I have a geocoin (Ken's Coin) that I put out as a memorial for an elderly friend who enjoyed hearing my geostories, though he could rarely go out himself due to health reasons. The coin was picked up in September by DeWane1 on the Oregon coast. The problem is that, though he has two cache finds, he is a non-validated member, and his profile says he has "never" visited Geocaching. Since he is an non-validated member, his contact info is not published, so I can not get ahold of him to see why the coin has not been deposited in a new location.

Any thoughts?? I find it strange that a person who has "never" visited (as it says on his profile) can have two finds and be recorded as taking my coin.

Governor Worf

- And even has a pic of it in his gallery.

With the phone apps, if you never use anything on the site (pqs, bookmarks and such), there's no need to ever enter.

Everything's done off that phone.

The finder hasn't cached since he picked it up.

Guess you could hope that when weather warms, they may venture out again, but I wouldn't count on it.

Edited by cerberus1
any help would be appreciated.

In case you haven't, you can modify the info on the coin's page. As an example, I changed my lost "Quacker Box" TB's name by appending the word "[MISSING]", as soon as I decided it was unaccounted for, months before it was ever officially marked missing:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=3317695

This is a heads-up for people who may offer to help find a wayward coin, since the [MISSING] text appears in any Inventory list.

And feel free to use any text that is on the Instant Karma page:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2151765

("Instant Karma"? -- who would steal a TB of that name!)

Edited by kunarion

Several things you can try but as mentioned when anyone begins geocaching and they use the phone app exclusively it does not register as a visit to geocsching. A small glitch with significant consequences. And as the app is free initially there is no incentive to be diligent. I.e learn properly. And as you and others have found ... No way to contact them.

However he heard about it fro someone. Probably a friend. So have a look at that cache and see if someone also logged it on the same day. They may have cached together and so therefore you could contact the friend. See if they attended an event to learn about it. You may able to contact someone via that event that they go to know. For PAF or to go caching later together.

Also try the local face book group for geocaching. They may well have joined that and if you post on there you may be able to get their attention.

They logged the coin as retrieved I assume. That's how you know it was them?? Write a note on the coins page to contact you.

Cross your fingers and hope.

Also I've just searched google for DeWane1 and (obviously it's a long s*** but sort a try) remembering that people love their usernames it appears that he may be on twitter. As well as various other forums. It's worked for me doing it this way. Course they could be anyone called Wayne or dwane. But worth a try.

EDIT

OK so dwane visited that cache and he logged it on the 19th. His first cache. Next day two more people visit. Also using the app. Spankey and another. So Dwane has shown them the app and brought them to see a geocache. How cool. And we know this because the other geocache that dwane went to .. A travel bug hotel ... He visited with spankey. So you most probably have three friends here. Dwane Spankey and dess2020. None of them has registered their email addy though. But at least you have an exact location of where they love for Face Book.

People almost always find the first few caches right where they live. The app especially the free version only permits 3 free geocaches is it. And it will only search right near your location when you hit search. Assuming they downloaded the app at home (wifi makes it easier to download faster) the first cache shown may be the one in the park.

They seem like kids to me. Dwane has used his name so a Facebook search in that area may bring up him and a possible link to spankey and dess.

Good luck and hope your coin surfaces. But they did visit a TB hotel after. They may have moved ken on and cocked up dropping it off.

Edited by Seaglass Pirates

Hello all...

Governor Worf

At least you know for sure who has your coin, according to other cachers I'm about 99% sure a new cacher grabbed mine out of a cache in Texas and is apparently holding on to it and won't answer an email. It's too bad because the coin has almost 36,000 miles on it.

Hello all...

Governor Worf

At least you know for sure who has your coin, according to other cachers I'm about 99% sure a new cacher grabbed mine out of a cache in Texas and is apparently holding on to it and won't answer an email. It's too bad because the coin has almost 36,000 miles on it.

In your case looking at who you could possibly mean given the details you have submitted if it was dizzy77 they appear to have been to every cache with a user called nastynelson an ex marine. Same caches on the same day. Now he has contact details which may help you contact dizzy if (due to being a new user the email notifications are not being received). They also appear (the details you submitted that is) to be connected to magnet man. Which by a happy coincidence is connected to the other possible person you could mean who also visited the cache hi tech granny. Who go caching together or have been as part of a 31 days caching challenge. I think magnet man is her son by what's she's posted on her logs. I doubt you mean her though. Worth a try.

Edited by Seaglass Pirates

Hello all...

Governor Worf

In your case looking at who you could possibly mean given the details you have submitted if it was dizzy77 they appear to have been to every cache with a user called nastynelson an ex marine. Same caches on the same day. Now he has contact details which may help you contact dizzy if (due to being a new user the email notifications are not being received). They also appear (the details you submitted that is) to be connected to magnet man. Which by a happy coincidence is connected to the other possible person you could mean who also visited the cache hi tech granny. Who go caching together or have been as part of a 31 days caching challenge. I think magnet man is her son by what's she's posted on her logs. I doubt you mean her though. Worth a try.

I thought her being a woman she would be more, for want of a better word, aware of right and wrong, so I emailed her and she wouldn't email me back either. I guess there's no sense in trying to email the other ones you mentioned, I've had enough frustration dealing with those people. I'll just consider the coin as gone. I think we're getting a whole new breed of people involved in geocaching, so It will be the last trackable I will release.

Hello all...

Governor Worf

I thought her being a woman she would be more, for want of a better word, aware of right and wrong, so I emailed her and she wouldn't email me back either. I guess there's no sense in trying to email the other ones you mentioned, I've had enough frustration dealing with those people. I'll just consider the coin as gone. I think we're getting a whole new breed of people involved in geocaching, so It will be the last trackable I will release.

What? Female means a better sense of right and wrong??? That's a major load of BS.

Back to the OP----You are SOL, pal. There isn't anything you can do. Until/unless she develops a sense of right/wrong, she's got your coin.

Sad and unfortunate, but that's the way it goes.

Is there any way that this will be fixed? As in will it ever be not possible for people who haven't validated to not begin caching til they have?It doesn't make an sense why they would be allowed in the first place. I'm sorry to hear about your coin.

Edited by unicornivi

Hello all...

Governor Worf

What? Female means a better sense of right and wrong??? That's a major load of BS.

Maybe it's just the females you know. I did get a response and my coin is on the move again.

will it ever be not possible for people who haven't validated to not begin caching til they have?It doesn't make an sense why they would be allowed in the first place.

That's good, but there's a balance. Many Geocoins are found by non-cachers who may not want to become "validated", but would be willing to put the coin back into play. Remove that option, and there's less of a chance of seeing that coin again.

will it ever be not possible for people who haven't validated to not begin caching til they have?It doesn't make an sense why they would be allowed in the first place.

That's good, but there's a balance. Many Geocoins are found by non-cachers who may not want to become "validated", but would be willing to put the coin back into play. Remove that option, and there's less of a chance of seeing that coin again.

No what I'm saying is make it impossible for them to partake in any form of caching until they validate their account. That way they do not get their hands on a coin or trackable in the first place until they are validated. That way they provide an email dress and express an actual interest and give others an actual option to contact them.

No what I'm saying is make it impossible for them to partake in any form of caching until they validate their account. That way they do not get their hands on a coin or trackable in the first place until they are validated. That way they provide an email dress and express an actual interest and give others an actual option to contact them.

Many find the coins outside of the game. There are only so many steps people may be willing to take, to return the coin to a game they know nothing about. I'd prefer that anyone could drop a Geocoin into the nearest mailbox, wherever the coin was found. That would be simple :anicute:. Unless that feature becomes available, it's good to allow people to sign up and at least see some caches. They might place a coin they found, when otherwise they'd have a tough time returning it to the game.

Edited by kunarion