Beginner Cache Dilemma

Fugads

So here's the story: When I started geocaching, one of the first caches I found, GC1B9EG, seemed like it was not in its original hiding spot, and the coords were a bit off. I contacted the CO to confirm, and he wrote back saying he had moved away and couldn't verify exactly where it used to be, but that it was probably not where it was originally hidden. He also said that if I was to re-hide the cache in a reasonable location and sent him new coordinates he would update the cache listing. Then he mentioned he was considering archiving the cache since it wasn't one of his better hides. Being new to the game, and seeing an opportunity to help someone out, I offered to adopt the cache for him, since I travel by it frequently. He agreed, I adopted the cache, and have been keeping an eye on it these last few years. Please do not get distracted by the issue of whether I should have adopted this cache or not. I did, and it's being maintained. The cache is pretty unremarkable, a plastic peanut butter container with some cheap swag in it. It currently has 123 finds for its almost 6-year life. For my area, that is pretty decent, it gets found regularly enough. The logs entries do not stray far from TFTC, but are generally positive for 1-2 sentences. It has 0 favorite points, which is reasonable considering it is pretty unremarkable. The other day I got to thinking that perhaps there really wasn't much of a point to this cache. And if I archived it I could place a new cache in the area that would be more interesting (to me). I was getting ready to do just that when I received the latest find notifications:

COPPER25,Found it 02/01/2014

First Cache!! Very enjoyable!

AkaneIvy, Found it 02/01/2014

Thanks for my first cache find.

These two logs from brand-new geoachers made me rethink archiving the cache. If I archived this cache, my replacement would not be a beginner-friendly cache. I don't have anything against beginner caches, but I create what I enjoy most, and beginner caches aren't that right now. However, by archiving this cache, would I be depriving my area of a decent beginner cache? I started looking at it more closely, and there aren't that many caches within a few miles of this one that get highlighted as beginner caches. This is due mainly to the fact that it is an urban area and most of the caches that survive are micros. So even though this cache I adopted has very few redeeming qualities, being a good beginner cache is one of those qualities. Is it worth leaving in place for this reason? Obviously the decision is mine, but I'd be curious to hear what the community at large has to say with respect to the value of "unremarkable" beginner caches.

Sounds like a good cache. As it is a beginner cache it could lead to people becoming hooked on geocaching. Definite value there. If you would like to make it more special what about changing out the container for something different? Perhaps a unique shape or paint job. Nothing that would make it a tougher find for a beginner, but something that would also engender smiles for more experienced finders.

I'm starting to get to the point where an otherwise "unremarkable" cache gets kudos from me just for not being another boring micro stuck to a street sign 😳. I say leave it....I agree that as a beginner cache it does have some value. Relavent to my opening statement, I think that a brand new cacher just starting out might lose interest in the game quickly if the first 20 caches they find are uninspired parking lot micros. Worse, when that newbie starts to hide their own caches, if all they've ever found are lame micros, they'll hide lame micros.

Even though I never trade swag, I still much prefer to find a small or regular than a micro. I think as a beginner cache it's nice to show the newbies a little more of the variety that is out there.

If you're not finding another good spot to place a new cache (a cache that you like), then go ahead and archive it. But if it were me, I'd spend some time looking around for another spot first. Swag-size urban caches are indeed a rarity and have value for that reason. But the value isn't so great that you should feel guilty about archiving it.

You could always add some fun camo to the peanut butter jar like this one, but I admit these things are above my skills (I think this one was fiberglass--it was a very cool cache and inspired me to buy a fiberglass kit, which has so far remained unopened) :)

44f86abd-ffe2-4d72-a84b-d5b500bc2e35_zps75c7576b.jpgskills.

There's nothing that size within a half mile of it and most of those are higher D's. The fact that it lasted 6 years must mean its a pretty decent hide. I always prefer smalls and larger in urban areas. It brings us back to what the original game was all about. I'm sure you can find another spot within that park or within that half mile radius. I say leave it where it is and let everyone enjoy...newbees and old timers alike.

You said the cache had no point, but now you know that it does have a point: it's easy to find. The 100+ finds give it a second point. I'm having a hard time imagining what you're thinking would give it more meaning than that.

Now if those aren't points you want to make, or if you're just bored with those points, feel free to archive the cache. In my opinion, whether you put a new cache in that area is an unrelated consideration unless there's nowhere else to hide a cache in your area.

Wow, I didn't expect to see so much support for keeping the cache going. So many of these forum topics seem to have people recommending to archive caches. Or maybe I was fishing for support in order to ease my troubled conscience over wanting to archive this cache to use the space for one of my own. I could indeed place another cache 528+ ft away for the idea I had in mind, or somewhere else entirely. Space is not a big issue around here. But if I am going to have to do maintenance on a cache in this location anyways, I figured why not make it something more interesting to me(aka a puzzle with multiple stages).

I'm not sure how many people looked at the cache-page link, but here is what the cache looks like:

77d3dad6-5ead-4752-b9b2-b916cce2f972.jpg

This is the 2nd container for this cache (replaced before I adopted it), and even from the image you can tell it won't last much longer. I think one of the reasons it has survived so long here without getting muggled is that it kind of looks like trash to anyone just passing by. I think if I swapped it out with a "better" container or did something to make the container look more interesting it might be more likely to disappear. If I were to hide my own cache here, I would use something smaller and (hopefully) less conspicuous. So a cache that looks like this is worth keeping around, for it's beginner friendly qualities, and also age?

I don't think a beginner cache has greater value, but I don't see any reason to archive a perfectly good cache that is being found on a regular basis either. If you think it's lasted because it looks like trash, and you want to give the container some better camo you can do that and shift it 50-100 feet to an area with slightly thicker brush. It looks like there is some nearby.

Your town doesn't appear to be so cache dense that you cannot find virgin territory for additional caches that others will enjoy finding and will be more interesting to you to own.

Edited by wimseyguy

On the forums, there's a lot of support for archiving old, unmaintained caches. Just because a cache is old doesn't mean it's archive-worthy. :)

If you don't want to maintain it, perhaps you could adopt it out to someone else who does? That means you would have a proximity issue if you wanted to place another cache nearby, but I do think there's value in having larger, traditional caches around.

If I were to hide my own cache here, I would use something smaller

There are way to many "smaller" caches being placed. If you archive it and put another cache there, please do not put a smaller cache there.

IMHO, I think it would be far better for the game to leave this one as is and maintaining it. Hide something different somewhere else.

I think if I swapped it out with a "better" container or did something to make the container look more interesting it might be more likely to disappear. If I were to hide my own cache here, I would use something smaller and (hopefully) less conspicuous. So a cache that looks like this is worth keeping around, for it's beginner friendly qualities, and also age?

Knowing a little more now, I would keep it as is just to see just how long this little step-child of a cache can last. That's just me, though. It seems like a cache that should not have survived but somehow does.

Sounds like you would really like to archive it and put a more interesting hide out, so just do it then. If anybody complains, just tell them Mrs Incredible said 'OK'. You are not under any obligation to maintain a particular type of cache. Just hide and maintain what you enjoy, otherwise cache ownership is going to feel like a job.

Incidentally, I've found a number of caches unintentionally camoflagued as trash. It's quite effective. I found one just yesterday that was a water bottle hanging from a tree branch next to a busy walking path. There's no reason it should have survived that long other than the fact it looks like trash and nobody wants to clean up someone else's trash. I've found some other ones that basically looked like someone drove by and tossed a used peanut butter jar out of their car window. Even in a high muggle zone, completely uncovered, these ones seems to last.

I'd keep the cache and maybe add a little of myself into it. Maybe a different container or maybe spruce up the cache web page. In the past I have had some rather ordinary cache hides, but made the page interesting by making up a story about the cache. One story was about a chef who was looking for a missing pepper. Another was about an under cover spy. Lastly, consider keeping the swag quality up. So there are many ways of improving this cache.

Edited by Colonial Cats

I think it looks like a cool little cache. I agree with you now seeing it that if you made it cooler then it might disappear. We once made the mistake of upgrading one of our most popular caches. It was doing great but we thought why not make it cooler and add some more favorite points. We changed it out with a fun flashy container. It went missing quickly after that and I wondered why we spent the time to fix up a good working cache. We replaced the old one and all has been well after.

Sounds like you would really like to archive it and put a more interesting hide out, so just do it then. If anybody complains, just tell them Mrs Incredible said 'OK'. You are not under any obligation to maintain a particular type of cache. Just hide and maintain what you enjoy, otherwise cache ownership is going to feel like a job.

You hit the nail on the head. I did want to archive it and was about to, until those last two find logs came in and made me pause and rethink. I am well aware that I do not require permission to archive it (but thanks for giving me your 'OK' anyways). And I am not worried about complainers either, I seriously doubt anyone around here would complain, let alone notice that this cache has died a quiet death (although out of curiosity, I checked the listing to see if anyone is watching it, and there are actually 3 people who have it on a watch-list. Never noticed that before). If I were a character in an Ayn Rand novel, I wouldn't have this hesitation, and the cache would be gone and replaced by now. The fact is, I am not a true "egoist", (but I'll admit to having some of those tendencies). I am trying to consider the broader geocaching community, not just my own personal preferences. Thus the dilemma and post.

I have been following a couple topics in the forums recently (Intro app users killing the hobby and Why are new users allowed to place geocaches) with relevant discussions to this dilemma. While those topics range pretty wide, one of the points that caught my attention was the discussion on how to get new geocachers involved in a positive way. Having decent beginner caches around is one suggestion. Trying to reach out to those new geocachers is another suggestion. Both of these points make sense to me. Another point-scored for letting this cache live. I also went ahead and sent messages to both of the people who logged this cache as their first find, welcoming them to the game, and inviting them to contact me if they would like to ask questions. So far no response, but I'll give it time. None of my other caches give me much opportunity to reach out to new cachers, since they are all pretty involved, so this cache also scores a point for giving me an opportunity to help grow my local geocaching community (maybe).

So that's two points for, and no points against. From the feedback I have received here, I see that in many places a geocache such as this one is considered useful/valuable for similar reasons. In fact, there really isn't much of an argument against keeping the cache alive other than my initial observations that the cache is pretty mundane. So I'm going to let the cache stay as is. As for the long term future of this cache, I won't worry myself too much over it. It was not one of my creations, and I do not feel invested in it as I do for my other caches. If it dies a natural death in a year or two or 4, so be it.

I'd keep the cache and maybe add a little of myself into it. Maybe a different container or maybe spruce up the cache web page. In the past I have had some rather ordinary cache hides, but made the page interesting by making up a story about the cache. One story was about a chef who was looking for a missing pepper. Another was about an under cover spy. Lastly, consider keeping the swag quality up. So there are many ways of improving this cache.

In my last post I basically said I would let this cache live but not put much effort into maintaining it. That's not entirely true. Since I pass by the cache often, I do check on it frequently and I agree about trying to keep the swag enjoyable and will try to do so. Having fun swag is another way to show beginners the positive side of geocaching.

From the feedback I have received here, I see that in many places a geocache such as this one is considered useful/valuable for similar reasons. In fact, there really isn't much of an argument against keeping the cache alive other than my initial observations that the cache is pretty mundane. So I'm going to let the cache stay as is. As for the long term future of this cache, I won't worry myself too much over it. It was not one of my creations, and I do not feel invested in it as I do for my other caches. If it dies a natural death in a year or two or 4, so be it.

Maybe the mundane nature of the cache is why I feel it should stick around. When I think back to my early caching days, the bulk of the containers were mundane and routine hides. Get close to ground zero, look for the unnatural pile of sticks, find the coffee can/peanut butter jar/ammocan/LnL, write a paragraph in the logbook, and replace as found.

I'm a big fan of caches that remind me of my early days. Nostalgia!

I did want to archive it and was about to, until those last two find logs came in and made me pause and rethink.
Yeah, I have a puzzle cache that I keep thinking has run its course, and I'd like to use the final location for a traditional cache with a different focus. But then someone comes along at an event and mentions working on the puzzle, or having solved the puzzle, or something like that.

Why not fix it up a bit? If it's a cache that might be a new geocachers earky exposure to the sport, make it a good example of what geocaching can be. Spruce up the container and contents. Since you pass by it frequently you can keep it nicely stocked and maybe you'll set the bar a bit higher when those new cachers go to hide their first.