how do i add backround music?

Christopher geertsen

i have heard of some caches(in the early stages of geocaching)that had backround music implented on the cache page listing. i have just reccently have done some more in depth research on html. out of that research i have a few questions. my questions are, how do i had backround music to my cache listing that will play automatically, when some visits my cache page??? how do i add backround music to my public profile that will play automatically when someone vists my profile page?? i have just created a rough template using html code with notepad++, a program for windows that allows you to create an offline/local/web template, to practice writting html. therefore i know its possible to add bacrkround music to your created web pages/offline templates but wanted to know, is it still possible to add backround music either to my public profile or my cache listings?? what type of code do i need to add backround music??? thankyou!!

i have just created a rough template using html code with notepad++, a program for windows that allows you to create an offline/local/web template, to practice writting html. therefore i know its possible to add bacrkround music to your created web pages/offline templates but wanted to know, is it still possible to add backround music either to my public profile or my cache listings?? what type of code do i need to add backround music??? thankyou!!

As a general heads up on html, you should, if you're going to write html beyond cache pages, appreciate that some browsers might play background music and that others might not. It's not uncommon iirc for this to happen, especially with multimedia assets.

In general you'd want to embed the sound object. The way in which different browsers allow this to happen is tricky as heck tbh - there are various workarounds for it but these can start to get quite complex (and when the technology changes there will be further issues coming). Googling "embed mp3 in web page" should probably tell you how to - although, as others have said, it seems to be unavailable on cache pages.

In general auto-playing sound (along with marquee text, odd colours and comic sans...) should probably be avoided in general on the inter webs imo ;-)

Edited by Blue Square Thing

i have heard of some caches(in the early stages of geocaching)that had backround music implented on the cache page listing. i have just reccently have done some more in depth research on html. out of that research i have a few questions. my questions are, how do i had backround music to my cache listing that will play automatically, when some visits my cache page??? how do i add backround music to my public profile that will play automatically when someone vists my profile page?? i have just created a rough template using html code with notepad++, a program for windows that allows you to create an offline/local/web template, to practice writting html. therefore i know its possible to add bacrkround music to your created web pages/offline templates but wanted to know, is it still possible to add backround music either to my public profile or my cache listings?? what type of code do i need to add backround music??? thankyou!!

Been asked many times over the years, and trust me, the "don't do it without my permission" responses are there every time. :laughing:

Yes, we could do it, but (wild guess) the ability was taken away no later than 2006. I actually did it twice in extreme moderation, one a 5 second Cosmo Kramer line from Seinfeld, and another a toilet flushing sound effect. The very simple <bgsound> command did the trick.

I haven't followed along in years, and they may have changed what they use, but Groundspeak used to use a utility called "HTML Tidy" to strip unauthorized commands out. You absolutely can type <bgsound>link to file</bgsound>, but the second you hit save, it's going to be gone. :lol:

It is quite common for websites on any subject matter under the sun that allow user generated pages on their site to use some sort of filtering process for HTML or BBcode commands they don't want used.

Yes, we could do it, but (wild guess) the ability was taken away no later than 2006. I actually did it twice in extreme moderation, one a 5 second Cosmo Kramer line from Seinfeld, and another a toilet flushing sound effect. The very simple <bgsound> command did the trick. 

Are these grandfathered in? (If so, it would be cool to check out. Link?) B)

Or did that "HTML Tidy" utility flush away the flushing sound? <_<

Are these grandfathered in? (If so, it would be cool to check out. Link?) B)

Or did that "HTML Tidy" utility flush away the flushing sound? <_<

I actually do remember this. I'm just a wealth of information. :lol:

They were in fact grandfathered for a while, but as soon as you edited the cache page, they went buh-bye. I'm just going to guess that at some point TPTB made them go away completely.

The very simple <bgsound> command did the trick.

I haven't followed along in years, and they may have changed what they use, but Groundspeak used to use a utility called "HTML Tidy" to strip unauthorized commands out. You absolutely can type <bgsound>link to file</bgsound>, but the second you hit save, it's going to be gone. :lol:

Fwiw bgsound pretty much only ever worked when the user was using IE - certainly worked up until v8.0 according to documentation. As far as I know it was one of those tags from the early browser wars that got invented by either MS or Netscape but was never part of any wider documentation. It simply doesn't work in any of the browsers I tried it in (Safari, Opera and Chrome fwiw). I'm not sure if it'll even work in modern versions of IE.

The very simple <bgsound> command did the trick.

Fwiw bgsound pretty much only ever worked when the user was using IE - certainly worked up until v8.0 according to documentation. As far as I know it was one of those tags from the early browser wars that got invented by either MS or Netscape but was never part of any wider documentation. It simply doesn't work in any of the browsers I tried it in (Safari, Opera and Chrome fwiw). I'm not sure if it'll even work in modern versions of IE.

Yeah, I'm a dinosaur. By the way, I was logging into Geocaching.com with my awesome DSL connection back then. And I'll bet half of people were still on dial-up.

I think you can still do it with HTML in these modern times, per this article And not on this website, of course. :lol:

Please leave my speakers alone unless I give you permission to play something on them.

Let me guess - you're checking the latest listings at work & the music would blow your cover!

Yup! Guilty! Nothing blows our cover more than an annoying sound or music starting up when I open a page.

Please leave my speakers alone unless I give you permission to play something on them.

Let me guess - you're checking the latest listings at work & the music would blow your cover!

Disturbing coworkers could certainly be a problem, whether I'm trying to keep my browsing secret or not, although it's even worse at home to disturb or even wake up my spouse. But actually what annoys me the most is that I often open pages in the background to look at later, sometimes many of them at the same time, so when one -- or more! -- of them start to do something over my speaker, I have to go to each page and try to figure out which one I need to shut up. And with the background stuff we're talking about here, there's often no indication whatsoever which page is making noise.

And if I'm already using my speakers to listen to something, I don't appreciate web pages making a racket over my choice.

Disturbing coworkers could certainly be a problem, whether I'm trying to keep my browsing secret or not, although it's even worse at home to disturb or even wake up my spouse. But actually what annoys me the most is that I often open pages in the background to look at later, sometimes many of them at the same time, so when one -- or more! -- of them start to do something over my speaker, I have to go to each page and try to figure out which one I need to shut up. And with the background stuff we're talking about here, there's often no indication whatsoever which page is making noise.

And if I'm already using my speakers to listen to something, I don't appreciate web pages making a racket over my choice.

^ ^ ^

This. 100%. I really hate it when that happens.

I'm glad Groundspeak prohibits the use of background music on cache pages, whether or not they're a security risk (which I'm fairly sure is why they prevent it)..

--Larry