Most adopted cache?

What is the MOST adopted cache out there? Either by design or just simply by circumstance. I only know of a few of mine that I adopted, then adopted out, so two adoptions, three owners. I suspect some of the older caches have been passed a half dozen times.

Obviously the system needs a new feature. :grin:

What is the MOST adopted cache out there? Either by design or just simply by circumstance. I only know of a few of mine that I adopted, then adopted out, so two adoptions, three owners. I suspect some of the older caches have been passed a half dozen times.

I done think you posted to the wrong forum. :ph34r:

I'm aware of a couple of caches on their third owner, one of which is the 2000 placed first cache in Rhode Island. Whose owner posts here sporadically. I think you'd be hard pressed to find one with 4 owners.

I'm aware of a couple of caches on their third owner, one of which is the 2000 placed first cache in Rhode Island. Whose owner posts here sporadically. I think you'd be hard pressed to find one with 4 owners.

I'm the 4th owner of a cache:

http://coord.info/GCGD8H

Now that's funny right there, because I specifically remember posting to another thread a few weeks ago (that you also posted to) that your area, the Pacific NW, was "cache adoption crazy", and I was of the opinion it was "a regional thing". Do we have a 5? Do we have a 6? Not that I think this thread is going to generate very much interest. :lol:

I'm the 4th owner of a cache:

http://coord.info/GCGD8H

As the profile said adopted by Jim Carson, I was like, are you Jim Carson too? (guess you have not updated the profile yet).

Never considered this stat question before, but could easily be manipulated if there was a prize for it.

It's weird...but I usually wait a good solid week before I change the "adopted by" or make any real changes to the cache/cache page. Just being respectful of previous owners...

I've adopted several caches (from a geocacher that moved out of the area). I left the original owners name and added "...adopted by NYPaddleCacher". That's the way they're going to stay.

It's weird...but I usually wait a good solid week before I change the "adopted by" or make any real changes to the cache/cache page. Just being respectful of previous owners...

I've adopted several caches (from a geocacher that moved out of the area). I left the original owners name and added "...adopted by NYPaddleCacher". That's the way they're going to stay.

Yes, obviously I do the same. I just wait a week or so before doing it.

I'm thinking I'll add a link to the profile of the original CO as well.

Yes, obviously I do the same. I just wait a week or so before doing it.

I'm thinking I'll add a link to the profile of the original CO as well.

I like idea of adding a link to the previous owner's profile page since that link changes with the adoptions. I'm with others, always keep a record of the adoptions. If I'm the third I put it in the text areas as fitting it all in the line at the top may not fit.

I am surprised there hasn't been some with four or five adoptions. The transitional nature of families these days combined with some super awesome caches to me had this as happening often. I was thinking maybe as a way to be different, having a cache that got passed to other users say every month or so. Something with 20+ adoptions.

Edited by TheWeatherWarrior

Best I can do is being the third owner of a cache. I also was the second owner of a few caches and ended up adopting them out to a third owner.

I try and leave as much of the original listing intact as possible. I don't even add an "Adopted by" to the owner section; I figure if someone wants to see the current owner they'll find me when they click on the link. I figure it says "A cache by xxxxx" and it truly is a cache by that person.

Best I can do is being the third owner of a cache. I also was the second owner of a few caches and ended up adopting them out to a third owner.

I try and leave as much of the original listing intact as possible. I don't even add an "Adopted by" to the owner section; I figure if someone wants to see the current owner they'll find me when they click on the link. I figure it says "A cache by xxxxx" and it truly is a cache by that person.

Problem there is they may not realize it was adopted versus just a username change. I had that issue years back when I stopped using my ham radio call sign.

I currently own two adopted caches. One was no longer viable, so I archived it. The other, Da Dogs Yak shows as owned by Dog Bone adopted by Clan Riffster, which is odd in that I don't recall adding that to the owner segment. I had several others that I adopted, but transportation woes kept me from being able to adequately maintain them, so I adopted them out to a cacher who lives closer.

Re da dog 'yaks, it was adopted to the federation, no involvement by the original owner Dogbone, back when Groundspeak would transfer listings without original owner involvement (because of this policy Dogbone barely exists on Geocaching.com, in spite of being a prolific hider in late 2000 and early 2001 - his caches are all under other accounts.)

In 2008, the federation transferred it to Clan Riffster. Somebody added the "adopted by" line, there's no automated function for that.

Which reminds me of something relevant to "most adopted" - one of the dogbone caches went through 4 owners. I'm not going to link to it as there was mild controversy when it was finally archived.

I think it should have been archived in early 2001, still belonging to dogbone - that would have preserved the cache he hid. Instead, because people think "preserving" = "keep old GC Code" it when through multiple owners, containers, and moves, one of over 9 miles - from a longish island paddle to a walk in the park (per land manager request). There's a cacher still active who found the original paddle cache. That listing now makes no sense to his experience. What was preserved for him? for dogbone?

Oops sorry, a bit of an off topic rant here, but from time to time people get bent out of shape about not being able to adopt old hides, to "preserve" them. They're best preserved by being archived.