GoPro-Geocache

T.D.M.22

So I got a new toy...The GoPro Hero3, it had a few accessories...The best one is the underwater housing.

The housing is a sealed clear plastic container, capable of protecting the GoPro in over 100 feet of water...And as any of us would do, I was thinking how to combine the GoPro and geocaching. Then it hit me-everyone says ammocans can rust, and we don't know the gasket quality. And the Pelican Cases are not designed for such use....But I figure if this thing is capable of protecting a $400+ camera at over 100 feet, it would make a very, very good underwater cache.

I have the reason that it would make a great underwater cache, so I guess what I'm asking is someone to tell me why (aside from the $50 price tag)it wouldn't work....

Edited by T.D.M.22

So...what exactly do you plan to do with it??

Are you talking about DEEP scuba access underwater? Or are you talking about a 'wade' or 'stand' in a creek underwater?

Are you planning on making it a webcam? Do you expect people to turn it on & off to take video of themselves? My husband had an older GoPro and it has a manual on/off/record button.

Surely - the GoPro can withstand the water. Can it survive from being STOLEN?

And if you planned on people taking pictures of themselves - Good luck. People can't snap the lids back on loc-n-locs properly let along trying to see them operate, aim, and take photos with a GoPro.

Someone will get confused, leave it on RECORD all day and kill your battery.

Or are you referring to the case only? Why use a case like that when you can use other containers that are just as good and less expensive.

Edited by Lieblweb

I'm going to assume you're only talking about the waterproof case and not the camera itself, and using the case for a cache container. It might work, and it might not, and here's why.....if YOU, as the owner of a couple of hundred dollars worth of camera, are sealing it in a case to take it scuba diving or whatever, you are going to take great care to make sure the gasket is intact, nothing compromising the sealing surface, latches/fasteners secured, etc., to protect your expensive equipment. Some random cacher, however, in a hurry to move on to the next cache, might leave the gasket askew, log sheet compromising the seal, not tighten down the latches properly, etc. Maybe not the first finder or the second or the tenth, but it would happen eventually.

Of course, all these things can happen with a cheaper container as well. But if a muggle happens across my cache by accident I'd rather lose a $10 container than a $50 one.

I'm going to assume you're only talking about the waterproof case and not the camera itself, and using the case for a cache container. It might work, and it might not, and here's why.....if YOU, as the owner of a couple of hundred dollars worth of camera, are sealing it in a case to take it scuba diving or whatever, you are going to take great care to make sure the gasket is intact, nothing compromising the sealing surface, latches/fasteners secured, etc., to protect your expensive equipment. Some random cacher, however, in a hurry to move on to the next cache, might leave the gasket askew, log sheet compromising the seal, not tighten down the latches properly, etc. Maybe not the first finder or the second or the tenth, but it would happen eventually.

Of course, all these things can happen with a cheaper container as well. But if a muggle happens across my cache by accident I'd rather lose a $10 container than a $50 one.

Exactly-just the housing. All good points, exactly what I wanted to hear. Hey I think I'm the first one who wanted negative feedback here. :laughing:

Not saying I'm going to go out and buy one, but if I should come across one for a decent price-well, if it works why not? Ammo cans are getting a bit expensive these days.

it would make a very, very good underwater cache.

This assumes it's tethered under water, properly weighed against its own buoyancy, brought to the surface for opening and logging; that the cacher who does this is careful not to drip into it, to dry their hands and arms before opening it, so that it stays dry inside, and finally, returns it to its tether and to its weights............... I wouldn't bet on that ;-)

If you can find one at a good price, it seems to me it would make a great cache above the water

I've owned underwater caches - just stick a divers slate in them for a log, and go with a holey container. No buoyancy problems, no need for anybody to be careful (they aren't going to be careful so no need to task them with it).

One of my current caches is underwater. Used a burnt out ammo can, drilled some additional holes, stuck a loop of bike cable through some of them, and hooked it to an old piling. A fun find, lots of favorite points, not fussy for finders, no maintenance issues for me.

I have a couple of GoPro outer cases that I've been thinking of using as geocaches. They are basically a good quality clip lock container with a lens on! I wasn't planning on using mine underwater but have been trying to think of how to make a fun cache that uses the camera like appearance of the container as part of the novelty.

I guess what I'm asking is someone to tell me why (aside from the $50 price tag)it wouldn't work....

I've found caches that use boxes with rubber seals, such as boat boxes, sunglass cases, phone cases. They all have gummy or petrified seals (or the seal came out), and often the seal has compacted debris on it. The latches use an over-center mechanism to latch and have a single hinge pin, and typically just one latch. It all seems destined to fail in the wild. I have several such boxes, and have never placed them, due to the expense of replacing them. Ammo boxes seal in a different way -- they're a little better when dirt gets on the seal. If an ammo box will rust, that one latch hinge pin rusting will cause the whole plastic cache to fail.

AND I tested my boat box by handing it to a friend and asking him to open it. He dug his fingers into the latch and pulled with all his might -- on the hinge side of the latch. :yikes: I envisioned muggles and even cachers, prying the wrong side of the latch since it's “too tight”. What is a GoPro latch like?

If all of the finders are mechanically inclined :ph34r:, and if you check your GoPro box, and especially if you can have extra water seals on hand, it could work in typical outdoor cache conditions. Otherwise it could be bad.

Edited by kunarion