traveling cache containers

geoJAWz

Is it possible to have a "container".. physical object, (car,human) etc..that you could only sign at certain times (when you see it) then, you could log the "find" after you have signed the object. I have a concept for a unknown, and Groundspeak suggested I bring it up in the forums.

Is it possible to have a "container".. physical object, (car,human) etc..that you could only sign at certain times (when you see it) then, you could log the "find" after you have signed the object. I have a concept for a unknown, and Groundspeak suggested I bring it up in the forums.

Umm... I'm surprised they suggested bringing it here. Moving caches are no longer permitted. (Older ones have been grandfathered.)

Are you thinking of travel bugs? Tattoos? Car decals? Those are travel bugs. There is no container with a log to sign. You want someone to sign you arm under your tattoo? There is no container with a log book. You have a log book in a plastic baggy Scotch-taped to your arm for people to sign? Moving caches no longer permitted.

Nope. Nope! Nope!!

As opposed to signing it when it is 500 miles away from you?

Do you mean an actual cache that moves? I don't think that's allowed. Now if said person or car had co-ordinates on it that lead you to the cache, then I can see that being done...Which gives me an idea.

Groundspeak suggested that you bring this here? Did you explain it to them as you did here? If so, I'm surprised they didn't shoot you out of the sky like an enemy bomber.

As noted in a previous post, moving caches are disallowed.

Travel Bugs move, but they aren't containers... and they don't have a logbook. Neither do TB tattoos... and humans certainly are not "containers".

"Geocache containers include a logsheet or logbook." -- (from the listing guidelines). Signing the object, is not signing a logbook. There have been a few "geocaches" before that were not containers; the object was to be signed. That too, is now verboten. It is considered to be defacement, a no-no as far as geocaching is concerned.

You say that you have a concept for an unknown, so I am guessing that you do not want to divulge it on the forums -- perhaps rightly so.

Such being the case, I would suggest that you pass it by your local reviewer. (S)he is going to be the one that puts a stamp of approval on it, and you can discuss it in depth with them... I'm pretty sure they wouldn't pass it along to the rest of us, if that is your desire.

You may well have a good idea, but I think you need to fine-tune it a bit.

No, I know about tb's etc.. I was planning something like "where's waldo" wear a shirt, for cachers to sign at events. To claim a smiley for a mystery hide, that in order to claim the find... you have to find waldo..once you "find waldo" you can claim that mystery. It would probably mess with statistics..etc.. it was just an idea.

No, I know about tb's etc.. I was planning something like "where's waldo" wear a shirt, for cachers to sign at events. To claim a smiley for a mystery hide, that in order to claim the find... you have to find waldo..once you "find waldo" you can claim that mystery. It would probably mess with statistics..etc.. it was just an idea.

That makes it sound like the legendary, and also forbidden, "pocket cache" where people would walk around events with a log sheet in their pocket for people to sign to claim a find. Sooooo....still no.

Yeah, they sent me here! Thank you for your feedback and suggestion. Since this is a concept that affects many geocachers, I suggest that you also post this thought in the Geocaching.com forums. This section is watched closely, so we can recommend that you read the pinned post before posting.

Although the cache container itself must stay put, there should be way to incorporate finding Waldo into a puzzle cache. Make finding Waldo integral to obtaining the coords for the cache - and I don't see why Waldo can't be a moving target. There are bonus caches for which you have to find a certain TB in order to obtain the coords to the cache - certainly a moving target. Assuming that sort of thing is still allowed (and I haven't heard that it isn't - although but I could be wrong there).

If the moving target was findable, yet still challenging (because of its constant movement), it could be a fun puzzle cache.

I've seen mystery caches that required information on a trackable item to solve.

I've seen trackable name tags, hats, T-shirts, and other items worn by geocachers at events.

There might be a way to combine these ideas, but you'll need to be careful about the prohibition against mystery/puzzle caches that require emailing or otherwise contacting the owner.

Certain finals require you to find 2+ others caches in order to get to the final. Same concept, just find "waldo" and you can log the find! Like I said, it was just an idea, wondering if were possible. Not sure if I even want to go through with it.

First, you can't use another cache as a precedent for a new cache, but if you haven't given up on the idea, you might be able to do something a little modification. I haven't seen one in awhile but there have been a few caches which involved finding a trackable object that was *supposed* to stay on a local area to get a "key" to get to an unknown cache. That's not that dissimilar from finding a "where's waldo" shirt (which could be made into a travel bug) in order to find an actual container. You could *optionally* ask people to sign the shirt, but signing the short by itself could not be all it would take to log the cache listing.

Yeah, they sent me here! Thank you for your feedback and suggestion. Since this is a concept that affects many geocachers, I suggest that you also post this thought in the Geocaching.com forums. This section is watched closely, so we can recommend that you read the pinned post before posting.

Hey geoJAWz,

I'm sorry that we didn't give you more clarification about the Geocaching Guidelines in response to your Help Center question. The community is super knowledgeable about what works and doesn't work with the current Guidelines and are always willing to share their advice. Oftentimes if something is iffy, they are great at helping you with an adjustment to bring it into compliance. Although HQ doesn't "pre approve" caches and your local reviewer will need to review your final concept upon submission of your cache page, it sounds like some tweaks have been offered up.

Keep those fun ideas bubbling around inside your head. The community LOVES creative cache hides. If you get bored, here's a link to another forum on Cool Cache Containers.

Good luck with your future hides!