Who has viewed my geocaches online

Scootercop

So 2 of my geocaches have gone missing. Both were found on 8/28, then the next log afterwards for both state that there is no longer a container. Could be a coincidence, but these caches are almost 8 miles apart. So I was wondering if there is a way for me to check and see who has been viewing my geocaches online? I would hate to think that someone might be devious enough to steal/discard containers. Thanks for any help!

So 2 of my geocaches have gone missing. Both were found on 8/28, then the next log afterwards for both state that there is no longer a container. Could be a coincidence, but these caches are almost 8 miles apart. So I was wondering if there is a way for me to check and see who has been viewing my geocaches online? I would hate to think that someone might be devious enough to steal/discard containers. Thanks for any help!

If the caches were "Premium Member Only", then you would be able to view the audit log.

Help Center → Premium Membership → Benefits → Audit Log

1.7. Audit Log

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=122

However, accusing someone of stealing your caches based on "found it" logs or the audit log would be a very bad move. Unless you were there and saw someone take the caches, you have no proof.

I would recommend replacing them and just accepting the fact that caches disappear for numerous reasons.

When part of your cache description is "busy with muggles", or place it in a very busy mall, you shouldn't be surprised that it goes missing. Blaming other cachers is a leap of logic.

As for naming a cache "You are being watched"...the finders have made mention of being watched by muggles and mall cops. It seems that cache is just asking to go missing constantly, because no one is stealthy enough to avoid curious onlookers.

An "owner maintenance" log should mean that you have fixed the problem, not that you are going to fix the problem.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

You have got to be kidding me. If you leave something in a spot where cachers are spotted by security and the general public, the cache tends to disappear. The Mall cop that may have took your one cache did not need the coordinates. The other fake electrical plate likely was dropped off the edge of the parking platform into the creek, either accidentally or because the magnet failed.

Folks have already said it. If someone (who is a cacher) wants to steal your caches, there are so many ways to view the cache pages without showing up in the premium audit trail. I would think if someone wanted to really steal something on purpose, as a cacher, they could find a way around the recently viewed system.

Seen so many logs by owners who basically bitch out recent cache finders for a cache being stolen, but that is a different topic. Muggles take them more often than cachers.

Well, this one with no finds hidden in the center median strip of a private area with this note

This one needs to be archived. As I approached GZ I was swarmed by security guards and police. I was informed that even though this area is very "park like" it is private property and anyone trespassing will be questioned and possibly worse. The cache is no longer there. My license information was taken and a stern warning given in the nicest way possible by the police that this property is off limits to anyone but employees. Don't let the nice walking/biking trails fool you... They were nice today, but it won't last. Just FYI

tell me that that perhaps they are not hidden in the best of places..

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Well, this one with no finds hidden in the center median strip of a private area with this note

This one needs to be archived. As I approached GZ I was swarmed by security guards and police. I was informed that even though this area is very "park like" it is private property and anyone trespassing will be questioned and possibly worse. The cache is no longer there. My license information was taken and a stern warning given in the nicest way possible by the police that this property is off limits to anyone but employees. Don't let the nice walking/biking trails fool you... They were nice today, but it won't last. Just FYI

tell me that that perhaps they are not hidden in the best of places..

I'm thinking that the OP needs to seriously evaluate where his caches are placed.

I highly doubt that other cachers are taking containers. It's way more likely to be security personnel, etc.

Guidelines:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

B.

So I got a couple people that actually answered the question: thank you! A couple of people who ASSume that I am going to automatically accuse someone of cache destruction: not helpful. Some people that are talking about a cache that was archived over a year ago: way off topic and really not even an attempt at being helpful.

So I got a couple people that actually answered the question: thank you! A couple of people who ASSume that I am going to automatically accuse someone of cache destruction: not helpful. Some people that are talking about a cache that was archived over a year ago: way off topic and really not even an attempt at being helpful.

That's about normal for this group. You actually got off a little lucky.

That's about normal for this group. You actually got off a little lucky.

Excuuuuse the rest of us for trying to help the OP. Geez, why don't you go ahead and call us "idiots" and "trolls", "jumping on" the OP?

Sorry, but your history with hiding caches does have a bearing on what you're doing now.

Placing caches in high-muggle, security-patrolled areas is just asking for the cache to go missing. Private property includes shopping malls and office building green space.

You were the one to cast the first suspicions on other cachers when you started this thread. Why else would you want to know who has been looking at your cache pages?

Learn the lessons from this ill-advised cache placements.

B.