Best place in UK for a geocaching weekend

Hiya, does anyone have a favourite place that they could suggest for a weekend away. We are two newbie-ish geocachers and are thinking of going away somewhere for a night (or maybe two) so that we can do some serious geocaching. We live in the north midlands and obviously don't want to travel anywhere that its going to take us half a day to get there, so any suggestions would be most helpful. :rolleyes:

Edited by Lindylou_7

I do a lot of tours and I'm just back in the door from a trip basically from Berkshire to Yorkshire.

I went to seek LQ Cheshire and did a circuit on the Sandstone trail too.

Really enjoyed the short time I was there and I'm sure you wouldn't have to travel far to get lots more.

For those who don't wild camp like me there is a nice big hotel on the hillside.

Terrain is a little challenging but great fun.

Hiya, does anyone have a favourite place that they could suggest for a weekend away. We are two newbie-ish geocachers and are thinking of going away somewhere for a night (or maybe two) so that we can do some serious geocaching. We live in the north midlands and obviously don't want to travel anywhere that its going to take us half a day to get there, so any suggestions would be most helpful. :rolleyes:

You don't say what sort of thing you like doing, nor do you say if by "serious geocaching" you mean high quality caches/locations or simply a large number of caches.

If you like walking in lovely places, can I suggest Jagger's Clough in the Peak District is reasonably convenient from your location. I love Dartmoor, but it's a bit further away for you.

Rgds, Andy

N Derbyshire has some great series, plenty of places to stay in the Hope Valley. Mix of walking difficulty but with some great views once on top of the ridges or hills.

Would also look at anywhere in the Lake District and Yorkshire Dales. I have a plan to stay near Lancaster later this year as it is on the doorstep of both, plus the Forest of Bowland so will be spoilt for choice if the plan works.

If numbers are what you're after, you can go to many places such as Chilterns/Chesham area. You can easily do 100 in a day there. If quality caches are what you're after, than I'd suggest the Devils Dyke Circle near Brighton (don't forget to read the listings before you set out).

This site is also your friend when looking for cache series: http://www.geocachetrails.com/

Mind you, not all are there and some may be out-dated, but it is a good start.

try the Bala area of North Wales

The local reviewer has recently called them evil and the CO the spawn of the devil for setting them

Have a look at the logs for GC4GEAB “Start Jumping at the Bryn” (13 favorite points out of 18 finds) and GC4F04X “Base of the post” (17 favorite points out of 28 finds)

My folks did those caches - naughty lol. They made it their 5000dth. And one of them rated it her favourite cache ever.

If its numbers and an easy walk your after and obviously if you are using a fair bit of fuel to get there - numbers might be preferable

Chelmsford essex has the Chelmer and black water canal series. Takes a few hours. Caches are pretty much all micros but excellent walk through countryside. 100+ caches

Same difference with the Llangollen canal in North Wales but containers slightly different. Same sort of numbers. 100+ caches

'Way down west' near Barnstaple North Devon and surrounding walks pretty much all by Kevam and are maintained brilliantly. Excellent views and tracks. A few inclines. 100+ cache

Halo Series. - excellent pretty much even walk with easy hides bar the nanos in Fowey. 100+ caches

A drive on the moor - cache and dash heaven across the stunning Bodmin Moor. 60+ caches well maintained.

Further into Cornwall - Fordh Sen Myghal series. - some hard hides and a very, very long walk. Ending along the seafront but that would be in the dark by the time you got there. But a great series. 100+caches

Not About the numbers -

Cold Fusion

Feet in the lead - technology required

Quest Of Erebor for a series of caches that will strain your smart phone and mind but are excellent.

Luxylian Valley walk.

Crackington to Boscastle - very strenuous inclines but stunning views but also could be combined with other walks by same CO in the area

To Make a Monster

Satans Pit

Any of the Joys of Caching will have you kicking yourself.

Indy Bones Series

Dartmoor Daves Dartmoor Double Dozen - great views and some treacherous hides.

The Great Flat Lode series near Camborne. Excellent on very flat trail most of the time with one or two inclines. It's not called that but it's along that trail.

In fact pick a clump in cornwall and go there and you should not be disapointed. Don't miss out on quick top ups as you drive down the arteries of cornwall so anything by V&R but also some heads scratchers by Mountainbiker36 and Kazkam. But if you are feeling brave and fancy some adrenaline drip fed at each cache and seeing what your limits can be - Atlantic View series. Not done many but the logs say it all.

Milestone cache you will really remember -

Janpe's - Pirate Treasure Trove - cornwall

There are literally a hundred or more we could put here but this one was fantastic for us as it involved the whole family which always makes it great and it was our first 5/5. But we are suckers for anything at the coast. But then did a multy which brought back memories of childhood and I loved it so much I want to do it again lol. The list is quite literally endless.

Good luck where ever you go though.

Some great ideas there, agree with lots of them but thought I'd add another... we recently had a few days in Lincoln caching and cycling. There are some good series along the Water Rail Way east of the city, and the old railway path going west. The Odder & Around series to the NW is also nice. Great cycling country if you like it flat too! And the city itself is lovely, though not blessed with large numbers of caches.

Cambridge is also really nice and has some brain-hurty puzzles!