Regional Differences

LuLilac

Are there 'cultural' difference in the geocaching communities across the US and Canada and, well, the world? For example, there is a topic here about 'beacon' being a Minnesota/Wisconsin term for what is called in other regions a 'likely hiding place.' Another topic mentions that cache containers are always wrapped in plastic bags in his area, but this practice isn't common elsewhere.

Which region/s have the best caches?

Which region/s have the best cachers? :P

Lulilac

I noticed a regional difference in the way multi-stage caches are listed. Around here (SF Bay Area), multi-stage caches that require merely copying information from an existing plaque or monument are consistently listed as multi-caches. When I visited Massachusetts last year, such caches were consistently listed as mystery/puzzle caches.

I was just wondering about this, too. Where I live (SF Bay Area) yes, there are a lot of micros but also what seems like a crazy # of puzzle caches. When I look at my 20 nearest caches, 13 are puzzles and two more are multis. Is that typical?!

It seems that the more "urban" the area, the smaller the caches get. I live in a highly urban area that have mostly micros/small containers. However, I have mountain ranges within 10 miles of my house. Those caches are mostly regular to large - lots of ammo cans. The desert area seems to have mostly small to regular caches with some ammo cans. The many power trails are composed mostly smalls - the cheaper ones.

I noticed a regional difference in the way multi-stage caches are listed. Around here (SF Bay Area), multi-stage caches that require merely copying information from an existing plaque or monument are consistently listed as multi-caches. When I visited Massachusetts last year, such caches were consistently listed as mystery/puzzle caches.

In Florida many puzzle caches are incorrectly listed as multi-caches. Some are very difficult most people can't begin to solve them without help, but if there's more than 1 stop it's published as a multi often with no mention of the puzzling nature in the description. It's very annoying to trek out for a multi- only to find such a puzzle.

I've noticed a lot of differences just from one town to the next.

In one area there are a lot of hiking caches each with many finds. In the next town over you can't hide anything a half mile out or nobody looks for it.

In one area it's ok to give fake hints, in fact people complement each other on the cleverness of their fake hints. Not friendly for visiting geocachers.

In another area it's popular to place a container with a hidden logsheet. Outsiders may assume it's missing a drop a new log.

Certain areas have far more puzzles than others, usually due to a handful of dedicated puzzle-headed weenies. (Perhaps in some areas that term is derogatory? In my area it is not.)

Certain areas have inflated cache sizes; I went to one part of FL where matchstick containers were listed as Small instead of Micro.

Different environments provide unique hiding styles or cover. Few states have as many palm trees as FL so you wont see "Florida style" (under palm fronds or tucked into the V of a palm tree) many other places. Apparently there is a great deal of pine straw in GA since that is the meaning of "Georgia style" but there are pines in many other states so that one is less unique.

It seems that the more "urban" the area, the smaller the caches get. I live in a highly urban area that have mostly micros/small containers. However, I have mountain ranges within 10 miles of my house. Those caches are mostly regular to large - lots of ammo cans. The desert area seems to have mostly small to regular caches with some ammo cans. The many power trails are composed mostly smalls - the cheaper ones.

The interesting thing is that I'm in NJ, one of the most urbanized and densely populated states in the US and we still have a very high percentage of non micros (compared to most areas).

I'm guessing in places like Florida and Texas etc you don't need to check to see if a cache is "winter friendly" before you go geocaching in Dec.
Yeah. And in the SF Bay Area, the "no snowmobiles" attribute is a joke, not a real warning. Although I'm sure the parks departments would not like anyone tearing up their lawns with a snowmobile, whether it's December or July. So the "no snowmobiles" attribute isn't really inaccurate, it's just pointless.

I recently moved from a larger town in a neighboring state to a small town. The big difference I have noticed is the approach to "First to Find". In the small town with less caches, it can sometimes be a race to be the first to find. In the bigger town an easy to get to new cache could some times go days before it was found.

I think this is not so much that people want to be the the first to find (though there is some of that) but more that there are fewer caches in the small town and most of the regular cachers have already found most if not all of the caches in the area so a new cache close by is a big deal.

I have also noticed that in the smaller town cachers (me included) tend to have a larger active caching radius. It is not uncommon around here for someone to drive 50+ miles just to go get a cache. Again I think this is due to the fact there are less caches in the immediate area.