Coronary puzzle attack.

Roman!

After a pretty intense hike followed by a challenging bike ride all for 3 caches, two of which were FTF I got to thinking. I quit smoking three years ago and now am in amazing shape thanks to to geocaching, but mainly due to challenging traditionals but on the other hand I'd like to know how many people went the other way, from great health to the verge of a coronary because they decided puzzle caches were the way to go and sitting on their butts in front of the computer was a cool new pastime instead of getting outdoors and being active.

Geocaching, savior or killer?

Just say no to puzzles!

After a pretty intense hike followed by a challenging bike ride all for 3 caches, two of which were FTF I got to thinking. I quit smoking three years ago and now am in amazing shape thanks to to geocaching, but mainly due to challenging traditionals but on the other hand I'd like to know how many people went the other way, from great health to the verge of a coronary because they decided puzzle caches were the way to go and sitting on their butts in front of the computer was a cool new pastime instead of getting outdoors and being active.

Just say no to puzzles!

As usual, you make an excellent point! :) (But you already knew that.) :laughing: Yes, puzzles are deadly - literally! <_<

I like to do puzzles that give you the complete workout. Brain first, then the hike to the cache. An all round positive experience.

Firstly, those are far and few between, most puzzles involve sitting on your butt solving it then a drive to the local parking lot to lift a lamp skirt where you pick up a double down kfcsandwich.jpg and drop dead from a coronary.

No, that didn't happen to me. I solve puzzles at times when I can't geocache, anyway, like at night. In addition, I find having a solved puzzle in my pocket is a big motivation for walking that additional mile that I don't really have time for.

No, that didn't happen to me. I solve puzzles at times when I can't geocache, anyway, like at night. In addition, I find having a solved puzzle in my pocket is a big motivation for walking that additional mile that I don't really have time for.

Hmmm, when I can't geocache I spend time with my wife and kids instead of solving puzzles. Statistically; happily married men live longer.

Again, puzzles kill.

Edited by Roman!
sitting on their butts in front of the computer was a cool new pastime instead of getting outdoors and being active.

And you wrote this post while biking? :unsure:

his wife and kids were right there - helping him live longer :lol:

Dunno about that. I'll bet they're the ones fetching beers for him. :lol:

At least that way someone in the house is keeping active :rolleyes:

sitting on their butts in front of the computer was a cool new pastime instead of getting outdoors and being active.

his wife and kids were right there - helping him live longer :lol:

Dunno about that. I'll bet they're the ones fetching beers for him. :lol:

At least that way someone in the house is keeping active :rolleyes:

:laughing:

Just say no to puzzles!

OK, we get it. You don't like puzzles.

Just say no to puzzles!

He has only signed logs on 266 blue squigglys. He must be in perfect health.

Just say no to puzzles!

Maybe he has no heart. Or is it maybe he's heartless?

Just say no to puzzles!

Except, perhaps, his liver.

Just say no to puzzles!

In a way...I find myself going the other way with puzzles. I am slowly archiving mine and not really going after them because of the "inactive" effect. Sitting in front of a computer trying to solve something is too much of an opportunity for the urge to snack. Many puzzles recently want to keep pushing the envelope of how hard something is...and yes...I admit...it was a "game" I played...but...no longer...I can't do it for the sake of my own health.

An on-site puzzle...sure...gets me out an moving...but the puzzle for the sake of being a puzzle...no longer...if I want to continue on the road I decided to start...I can no longer sit in front of a computer for hours on end solving puzzles...

Just say no to puzzles!

In a way...I find myself going the other way with puzzles. I am slowly archiving mine and not really going after them because of the "inactive" effect. Sitting in front of a computer trying to solve something is too much of an opportunity for the urge to snack. Many puzzles recently want to keep pushing the envelope of how hard something is...and yes...I admit...it was a "game" I played...but...no longer...I can't do it for the sake of my own health.

An on-site puzzle...sure...gets me out an moving...but the puzzle for the sake of being a puzzle...no longer...if I want to continue on the road I decided to start...I can no longer sit in front of a computer for hours on end solving puzzles...

It become another form of game, nothing to do with geocaching. The more the CO push the envelope, the more people will cheat. We share puzzle coordinates all the time around here. At one time, most puzzles was "easy" to solve and you are out in the wood finding the cache. Thats what geocaching is all about. Now, CO are pushing the envelope so far to test their puzzle solving friends. You waste HOURS trying to solve something that got nothing to do with geocaching. It become a game of, I am smarter than you, hahahaha and I dare you to place one out to stumped me.

The more the CO push the envelope, the more people will cheat.

Doesn't just apply to puzzles though does it?

And the irony is - people moan about LPC's - what you might call LCD caches - (Lowest Common Denominator). But given the above statement - why should any CO bother putting anything out that requires more than the bare minimum of effort?

And so, long term, cheating hurts the game for everyone.

The more the CO push the envelope, the more people will cheat. We share puzzle coordinates all the time around here.

It's the cache owner's fault that you cheat? :unsure:

Strangely - it's not an uncommon justification :blink:

One I am very familiar with, unfortunately. :rolleyes:

How dare people create difficult caches!! :mad: All scuba caches should be moved to shore, all tree-climbing caches should be moved on the ground and all difficult puzzles should have the final coordiantes on the cache page.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Actually I posted this after spending the day with my daughter driving up to and around Gold Country to pick up enough caches for their gold bar geocoin. My last 2 days off included an FTF at the top of the third pump of Mt. Seymour, a medium distance but tough hike followed the next day by an FTF during a 30 km bike ride with my son. In all 3 instances when I got home the last thing I wanted to do was solve puzzles.

The more the CO push the envelope, the more people will cheat. We share puzzle coordinates all the time around here.

It's the cache owner's fault that you cheat? :unsure:

Strangely - it's not an uncommon justification :blink:

One I am very familiar with, unfortunately. :rolleyes:

How dare people create difficult caches!! :mad: All scuba caches should be moved to shore, all tree-climbing caches should be moved on the ground and all difficult puzzles should have the final coordiantes on the cache page.

I thought the point of geocaching is to get outside and discover cool new places so relating puzzle caches to tough terrain caches does not work, caches don't need to be easy to promote getting outdoors.

Can geocaching survive without puzzle caches? Absolutely.

Can geocaching survive without traditional caches? Absolutely not.

Edited by Roman!

I thought the point of geocaching is to get outside and discover cool new places so relating puzzle caches to tough terrain caches does not work, caches don't need to be easy to promote getting outdoors.

Can geocaching survive without puzzle caches? Absolutely.

Can geocaching survive without traditional caches? Absolutely not.

Well I can only speak for myself and as well as solving puzzles I also get outside and discover cool new places - so I get the best of both worlds :D I can't see any reason to limit my experience to just one of the many facets of the hobby :blink:

The comparison between difficult puzzle caches and difficult caches of other types was made to illustrate that cheating isn't exclusive to difficult puzzle caches and that cheats frequently blame the CO who set the difficult / challenging cache for their cheating - so on that basis the comparison works just fine.

I'm pretty sure geocaching would indeed survive without puzzle caches. I'm also pretty sure I would survive without a TV and all kinds of other modern conveniences - but I wouldn't give them up just because someone else didn't like them.

Geocaching probably would struggle without traditional caches - given that they make up the greater fraction of the caches out there - no surprise there - but that's no reason to give up all the other types of caches - so long as plenty of folks continue to enjoy them :)

I would say that the trick is to strike a balance which suits your tastes B)

I like to round out my caching experience. I enjoy puzzles, I enjoy caches that are a challenge to get to, and I enjoy sometimes seeing how many I can find in a day (maybe even how many different types I can find). I'd say the majority of the time I spend at the computer is not solving puzzles.

In all 3 instances when I got home the last thing I wanted to do was solve puzzles.

So then...don't :unsure:

+1 million

I don't but that's not the point, the point is if puzzles caches are detrimental to your health and according to one cacher they just may be but at the very least they are fattening.

I'd appreciate it if we could keep this thread on topic, thank you.

Edited by Roman!

I thought the point of geocaching is to get outside and discover cool new places ...

Sure. So maybe we should get rid of the geocaching forum then? Being on the forum is clearly keeping you from going outside.

Getting rid of the Internet in general would probably be a good thing for a lot of people.

The forum is relevant to Geocaching but puzzles have nothing to do with Geocaching.

Posted from my iPad from the beach after a 20 km bike ride with my wife.

Edited by Roman!

I thought the point of geocaching is to get outside and discover cool new places ...

Sure. So maybe we should get rid of the geocaching forum then? Being on the forum is clearly keeping you from going outside.

Getting rid of the Internet in general would probably be a good thing for a lot of people.

The forum is relevant to Geocaching but puzzles have nothing to do with Geocaching.

Posted from my iPad from the beach with a tall glass of beer after a 20 km bike ride with my wife.

fixed :lol:

Edited by SwineFlew

Yes he did. It's all part of his fitness craze. However, he forgot that statistically those who text while biking live shorter lives! :laughing:

Posted from my iPad from the beach with a tall glass of beer after a 20 km bike ride with my wife.

No it's not, when I was 21 I hit by a drunk driver and almost killed and I have not since or will ever drive a car after even a sip of alcohol.

Heheh! You've always gotta read the fine print!

No it's not, when I was 21 I hit by a drunk driver and almost killed and I have not since or will ever drive a car after even a sip of alcohol.

Same here, I am very picky about that. I wont drive. Lucky I live close to a bar or got friends that will take a bunch of us bar hopping.

Can we keep this thread on topic, please B)

Sure, how you feel about puzzles tonight?

I was distracted by this earth cache that just came out very close to home and I was just thinking it looks like about 1 1/2 hours hiking around which is fine because it's a great area I frequent often, in fact that's where I went biking today, but what sucks is that I have to pass an exam when I get home. Maybe some day I'll start a thread about earth caches.

Sorry for going off topic.

Edited by Roman!

I guess it will be quite hard to define what has to do with geocaching.

Why is climbing trees with specialized equipment (including the tools needed to shoot up the rope in 25m or even higher height)

closer to geocaching? Such caches are very trendy in my area. The key issue can't be that the time is spent outdoors. Eating a chocolate cake in a park will not be geocaching either. One also cannot define geocaching via the sports type activity. Playing soccer is not geocaching.

So somehow you will end up that geocaching involves finding hidden containers with the help of GPS-coordinates. Before and after the find other activities may be involved, be it solving a puzzle, climbing up 30m into a tree etc. Certainly a group of cachers will prefer if the key focus is on finding containers, but that's a matter of personal taste.

I'd say that geocachers try to combine geocaching with their other hobbies. Some enjoy extreme tree climbing, others enjoy puzzles or boat trips etc

I have done quite a number of mystery caches where the part to be done at home helped me to learn more about

what I was going to see later on in the fieldwork part. I do have caches of that type on my own.

For me visiting interesting places and learning more about them (history, art, geology etc) fits much better to my idea about geocaching than driving along a road by car and stopping every 200m for a micro.

I have done several series of mystery caches which are set up as mystery caches to draw certain figures on the map that fitted to the cache topic (like a hat). Some of these series involved demanding hikes - I might have spent 15 minutes with obtaining the coordinates and say 6 hours or even more with hiking. While I personally would have preferred a single multi cache, I still feel that the balance between time spent at home and time spent outdoors in a physically active way was fine. In your area one might easily have implemented such series as traditionals without ending up with problematic cache placements, but in my home region there are much more restrictions

due to someone living there, environmental issues and many other aspects.

Most traditionals within a radius of 25km from where I live are drive ins or quasi drive ins where 95% of the cachers come by car. I try to do those caches by bicycle whenever possible, but still the exercise obtained in considerably less effective than the exercise I obtain from doing hiking multi caches. Of course there are hiking traditionals as well, but typically I need to drive much farther to reach them.

What I'm trying to say is that the amount of exercise one obtains from geocaching depends more on the personal choice of caches, the area and the way one approaches the caches than on the cache type.

The Hiking trail Piber series

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?u=Geobikerxxx

has much less visits than comparable series of puzzle caches that draw a figure on the map, but not due to the mystery cache type, but due to the fact that the hike is partly trackless and relatively demanding which turns many people off.

The exercise obtained from this series certainly outweighs in total 300 typical drive in traditionals in my area (typical locations are parking lots, phone booths etc).

I have had a look at some of the caches you visited recently. The traditionals you visited were clearly of a different type than of what I have talked above. Note, however, that the traditionals I talked above seem pretty similar to the type of mystery caches you complain about. Moreover, I think that the Hiking trail Piber series would be suitable for you. So it is definitely not a question of cache type.

Personally, I prefer to spend 5 minutes on a puzzle at home to spending one hour outdoors at a parking lot trying to open a tricky container. Other see this differently - I know one such cache with more than 50 FPs (over 50% ratio).

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne