Caches in water?

Newbie here looking for an answer to a question regarding cache placement. I have looked in the placement guidelines but did not find anything related, nor have I found anything helpful on the forums. Is it acceptable, barring you are using a waterproof container, to place a cache IN water? I don't mean at the bottom of a lake or river, there would be no diving involved, only your arm would need to get wet.

Sure, and often the right way to go is NOT to use a waterproof container. Let the water in, and use a waterproof log instead (diver's slate works well for this). I have an old burnt ammo can submerged. Drilled extra holes, affixed to old piling. Inside is a diver's slate. This takes care of buoyancy problems as well as water issues. You could use tupperware for this too. A diver's slate is not an expensive item.

Few relatively inexpensive containers are really going to be waterproof over time - a paper log will become paper mush. The things that will remain dry were built to that purpose originally, diver's underwater housings (camera, battery cases etc). Because I already owned them, I also have some very old underwater battery housings in service as UW caches. These are dry in the interior. Serious $$$ to purchase something like this.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Newbie here looking for an answer to a question regarding cache placement. I have looked in the placement guidelines but did not find anything related, nor have I found anything helpful on the forums. Is it acceptable, barring you are using a waterproof container, to place a cache IN water? I don't mean at the bottom of a lake or river, there would be no diving involved, only your arm would need to get wet.

Placing the cache in shallow water, like your question suggests, is fine. That ups the terrain rating a notch. A cache can also require scuba diving. The need for specialized equipment bumps the terrain rating to 5. (Difficulty may be high or low depending on how easy it is to find once you're in the water - but probably is not at the low end.) I saw one listing on the ocean floor near a geothermal vent. It requires a submarine. (Not found.) Sounds like it might not be published today, due to the dreaded "maintenance plan" requirement - which sometimes rules out really interesting locations. Right now there's a forum thread about the issue of remote caches by a guy who lives in Siberia.

There's no problem with that type of placement. There's been lots of them.

You might want to consider the "difficulty" and "terrain" ratings about the placement.

You could also add the "may require wading" attribute: wading-yes.gif

Or is it more difficult to get to the cache location, and a boat/canoe/kayak would be required?

boat-yes.gif

Attributes available for addition to the cache page:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/icons.aspx

You will also need to be vigilant in the maintenance of the cache. Does the location freeze in winter? Does the location flood? People are often reluctant to post a "needs maintenance" log, so you need to read all emails about the cache, to make sure you know if there's any issues.

The Help Center is a valuable resource.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb

Apparently, it's been upgraded recently. "Hiding a Geocache" is now a section of its own:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=19

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I own a underwater listing, and this subject has been discussed before. Moderator Briansnat suggested the idea of using a multi with the first stage being coordinates on a piece of brass or something that will not rust. I like that idea, and plan on putting it to use with the final being a larger container to hold lot's of swag. :) I love kayak caches. :laughing:

I own a underwater listing, and this subject has been discussed before. Moderator Briansnat suggested the idea of using a multi with the first stage being coordinates on a piece of brass or something that will not rust. I like that idea, and plan on putting it to use with the final being a larger container to hold lot's of swag. :) I love kayak caches. :laughing:

Aluminum stock is way cheaper than brass, and should hold just as well.

If you like kayak caches, come on up to Little Rhody - we have bunches!

[edit: typo]

Edited by BBWolf+3Pigs

I've also read that idea from Briansnat, and I like it. However, in my area 50%+ of finders would have gotten the coordinates from a previous finder. I wonder if he has that problem. I'm curious.

I've also read that idea from Briansnat, and I like it. However, in my area 50%+ of finders would have gotten the coordinates from a previous finder. I wonder if he has that problem. I'm curious.

What's this world coming to?! Help the misguided see the light, St. Matthew! :)

50 percent of the finders will miss out on the fun and challenge in pursuit of a quick smiley. Too bad for them.