Would it be in bad form to...

Lego23

Would it be in bad form to... message someone who has recently found a cache and ask them to tell you where it is??

I have very recently started geocaching and so far have looked for 5 but only been successful in finding 2. I'm using an Iphone 3G, have a 7 year old assisting me, and have no sense of direction whatsoever, all of which complicate things! I don't want to spend the money on a proper GPS until I know for sure we are committed to it.

7-year-old is starting to lose hope that we can really do this. Definitely partly my fault, I know you are supposed to start with the biggest and easiest caches and not the ones that just happen to be closest to your house, but I don't drive so my options are limited.

Would it be really bad to message someone who has recently been to the ones we can't find and ask them to point it out for me? Then I could gently nudge the 7-year-old to it without actually telling him we are big fat cheaters. Could I just not log it since it's not really a legit find?

I think part of the problem is we are so new we have no idea what they usually look like, how they can be concealed, how open they usually are, etc. But then on top of that the GPS isn't very accurate so we have no idea what we are looking for or where! (I have already read everything I can on this site.)

Input or suggestions?

I've been contacted before by other cachers because I was the most recent finder. I've also been contacted by seekers of my caches, and by a cache owner of a cache I DNF'd, offering a hint. I don't want to ruin the fun of the hunt for them so I will just offer a hint or a nudge in the right direction, unless they want me to just flat out tell them where it is. Usually they just want a hint.

I don't think it's in bad form. They can either offer you a hint or they won't. I want people to find my caches, not go away frustrated.

I've contacted (and have been contacted by) other geocachers many times for help, but you're really supposed to contact the CO first. Oh well, lol. In any case, you'll find that the CO will be only too happy to help. As a CO myself, if I learned of your dilemma trying to locate one of my caches, you'd definately find it on your next attempt, trust me. I especially don't like to see the youngsters disappointed, it's supposed to be fun, right?

I've contacted (and have been contacted by) other geocachers many times for help, but you're really supposed to contact the CO first.

Where did that come from? I've often received requests for a hint (or more) when I was the last to find. Is this some unwritten rule someplace I've been violating. Contact the CO is a good idea, but is it something you are supposed to do?

edit: typo

Edited by GeoTrekker26

I've contacted (and have been contacted by) other geocachers many times for help, but you're really supposed to contact the CO first.

Where did that come from? I've often received requests for a hint (or more) when I was the last to find.

Exactly! How is a Cache Owner supposed to know where GeoTrekker26 hid the container!

Where did that come from? I've often received requests for a hint (or more) when I was the last to find.

Exactly! How is a Cache Owner supposed to know where GeoTrekker26 hid the container!

LOL Read the post in another thread where a CO's cache had "migrated" and he spent so long trying to find it he almost felt he should log a find!

LOL Read the post in another thread where a CO's cache had "migrated" and he spent so long trying to find it he almost felt he should log a find!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

It's an unwritten rule that it is good form to ask any tips from the CO first and ask someone else if they don't respond.

If you're new to the game with just 2 finds and a kid in tow, I'm pretty sure most CO's and previous finders would be happy to help you out with hints, tips and other support.

Would it be in bad form to... message someone who has recently found a cache and ask them to tell you where it is??

I have very recently started geocaching and so far have looked for 5 but only been successful in finding 2. I'm using an Iphone 3G, have a 7 year old assisting me, and have no sense of direction whatsoever, all of which complicate things! I don't want to spend the money on a proper GPS until I know for sure we are committed to it.

7-year-old is starting to lose hope that we can really do this. Definitely partly my fault, I know you are supposed to start with the biggest and easiest caches and not the ones that just happen to be closest to your house, but I don't drive so my options are limited.

Would it be really bad to message someone who has recently been to the ones we can't find and ask them to point it out for me? Then I could gently nudge the 7-year-old to it without actually telling him we are big fat cheaters. Could I just not log it since it's not really a legit find?

I think part of the problem is we are so new we have no idea what they usually look like, how they can be concealed, how open they usually are, etc. But then on top of that the GPS isn't very accurate so we have no idea what we are looking for or where! (I have already read everything I can on this site.)

Input or suggestions?

When caching with young children - it is always best to go out and find the cache first. This will allow you to know the cache is there. You know where it is so you don't spend too much time searching, You can determine that the terrain is an easy enough hike and doesn't take too long to get there. You can even add a few trinkets ahead of time so they have something to trade for.

It's an unwritten rule that it is good form to ask any tips from the CO first and ask someone else if they don't respond.

If you're new to the game with just 2 finds and a kid in tow, I'm pretty sure most CO's and previous finders would be happy to help you out with hints, tips and other support.

I have been playing this game for almost 10 years and have never heard of this unwritten rule. Could this be a regional rule? :blink:

I have been playing this game for almost 10 years and have never heard of this unwritten rule. Could this be a regional rule? :blink:

Neither have I. PAF (Phone A Friend) seems to be a common enough practice around here. And most of those who use it, put it in their log.

Then I could gently nudge the 7-year-old to it without actually telling him we are big fat cheaters. Could I just not log it since it's not really a legit find?

It's not really cheating. Just getting a really good hint since you still have to find it. :) It's as legit a find as any. I would go ahead and log it as a find for sure. Add the story to your log. As a CO, I love to read those kind of stories.

Well, the statement is that it's "good form". Are you sure you haven't heard that? If some stranger contacts you about hints for a cache, isn't your first reaction to wonder why he isn't asking the CO?

Don't you agree that we should always consider the CO first? After all, the CO's the one that hid the cache, so I'd expect him to have the best ideas about how I should experience it. Sure, I often ask a friend, instead, but isn't that not the best form, since it's really a form of cheating in that it goes around the CO's intentions?

I think the only confusion here is calling it a "rule". It's really more just a guideline.

Well, the statement is that it's "good form". Are you sure you haven't heard that? If some stranger contacts you about hints for a cache, isn't your first reaction to wonder why he isn't asking the CO?

Absolutely not, that never even occurs to me! My first reaction is to try to remember the cache so I can offer a hint.

Don't you agree that we should always consider the CO first? After all, the CO's the one that hid the cache, so I'd expect him to have the best ideas about how I should experience it. Sure, I often ask a friend, instead, but isn't that not the best form, since it's really a form of cheating in that it goes around the CO's intentions?

Quite often the CO will have two or three hundred or more hides out. It's more likely someone who recently found it will better recall where it is than the CO who may not have visited it for some time. Also a recent finder will know the current location, which may or may not be where it was originally placed. <_<

I think the only confusion here is calling it a "rule". It's really more just a guideline.

Even "guideline" is too strong, simply because no such guideline exists. This must really be a regional thing because, as someone else said, using a PAF, usually from GZ is very common here in Southern California. One of the interesting things about reading the forums is learning about the differences that occur in caching from region to region; some are subtle and some are dramatic.

I have no problem if someone wants to contact the CO first, but I don't think it is fair to tell a new cacher that is what is expected of them or what they are supposed to do. It's much better to suggest that many consider contacting the CO first to be the most appropriate action.

Edited by GeoTrekker26

Input or suggestions?

Welcome to a new hobby. Getting hints/assistance from others is fully acceptable to almost all cachers and cache owners. (As you have seen from the above replies) Try going to some of the events in your area. You can meet some of the cachers in your area, make new friends and build your own PAF (Phone-A-Friend) network.