Lock & Locks

J Grouchy

I've been looking for these lock & lock containers in stores since they usually are great as cache containers, but I haven't been able to find them in any store (Target, Walmart, Kroger, Publix...). I did find one round version that was clearly inferior since the latches were very weak and I could picture them breaking off after a couple months outdoors...and it didn't have a very tight seal. I'd like to not have to special order these things online and would prefer grabbing some as the "need" arises and while I'm out shopping for other things.

What we have found is that very rarely do they show up in "big box" stores.

When we do come across them, they are usually in a grocery store such as an "independent" supermarket as opposed to a large chain supermarket.

When we do, we just about buy out their on-shelf stock. :lol:

If we don't use 'em as caches, they really are super-duper around the house. That way too, we always have a stock. Their current contents dumped into something else.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

The lock & lock is getting harder to find.

Apparently, they used to be available at walmart, but no longer are. They were available on lock & lock's website but as of this year they stopped selling online. You can buy an assortment still on amazon.com and qvc.com

Edited by fbingha

You can buy an assortment still on amazon.com and qvc.com

Thanks, folks...but, like I said, I was hoping to find out if any brick 'n' mortar stores carried them...

I've been looking for these lock & lock containers in stores since they usually are great as cache containers, but I haven't been able to find them in any store (Target, Walmart, Kroger, Publix...). I did find one round version that was clearly inferior since the latches were very weak and I could picture them breaking off after a couple months outdoors...and it didn't have a very tight seal. I'd like to not have to special order these things online and would prefer grabbing some as the "need" arises and while I'm out shopping for other things.

Has anyone tried using (or found a cache that uses) one of those screw-top 'Lockware' containers that Glad makes? They seem to do a good job at our house for food storage, but I'm not sure how well they would do out in the elements...particularly if cachers don't screw the lid back on tight enough.

I found some lock and locks at Sears. They had singles and boxes of them- I bought $50 worth and the woman thought I was crazy...

Has anyone tried using (or found a cache that uses) one of those screw-top 'Lockware' containers that Glad makes? They seem to do a good job at our house for food storage, but I'm not sure how well they would do out in the elements...particularly if cachers don't screw the lid back on tight enough.

I've had one out for just over a year, and it's doing good. But it's also sheltered and not found often.

Edited by T.D.M.22

I found some lock and locks at Sears. They had singles and boxes of them- I bought $50 worth and the woman thought I was crazy...

I'm in Canada, Sears is where I most often buy my Lock & Locks. Plus they have some good 2 for 1 deals every once in a while.

I found a list of Sears locations in Georgia, I hope it helps: http://www.mystore411.com/store/list_state/27/Georgia/Sears-store-locations

I have had no problems buying them in walmart in Canada. Usually I can get a pack for under 20 bucks.. this is a BOX of containers.

Shaun

They are usually on sale a couple times per year-I got 4 of those boxes for under $50. Sears, London Drugs, and Canadian Tire have had them(Of course the last two only apply to us Canucks)

I've also seen some similar ones at Costco.

For a small sandwich box size container, Plano makes a nice heavy duty waterproof container with snap down locks on 3 sides and a hinge on the 4th side. It is available at Walmart for about $5, available in their sporting goods dept. near the fishing tackle boxes: http://www.planomold...CID=139&PID=726

Home Dept just had a sale on these and I bought two packs of three (sml,md,lg) for ten bucks each.

Stuck the small one out in the yard for product testing.

They do seem hvy dty and a silicone-like O-ring seal. How do they hold up?

I found a brand in Target yesterday that is very similar to the L&Ls, but has what looks like a pressure release valve on top. I think the point of it is to be able to heat food in the microwave with it locked but allow the steam to escape through that hole in the top. I can't remember the brand, but I picked up a $2 one yesterday and put it in my 'geocaching kit' in my trunk. I'll try it out on a future cache to see how it holds up. My concern is that flap on top and if it keeps moisture OUT.

I found a brand in Target yesterday that is very similar to the L&Ls, but has what looks like a pressure release valve on top. I think the point of it is to be able to heat food in the microwave with it locked but allow the steam to escape through that hole in the top. I can't remember the brand, but I picked up a $2 one yesterday and put it in my 'geocaching kit' in my trunk. I'll try it out on a future cache to see how it holds up. My concern is that flap on top and if it keeps moisture OUT.

Since you are trying something a little different, i thought i would suggest something else. I've been using the clear plastic "Mainstays storage containers" sold at the Wal store. They're sold in the tupperware section of the store and come in 2 quart and gallon size. They have screw on lids with a fairly big opening. I don't think they would work well submerged but they have certainly served us well in regular outdoorsie applications.

Edited by Mudfrog
<br />Has anyone tried using (or found a cache that uses) one of those screw-top '<a href='http://www.amazon.com/Glad-LockWare-Small-Tight-Pervents/dp/B004W4OY48' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow'>Lockware</a>' containers that Glad makes?  They seem to do a good job at our house for food storage, but I'm not sure how well they would do out in the elements...particularly if cachers don't screw the lid back on tight enough.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I bought a set last year and I like them a lot. I think I got them at Target. Mine have held up through a Midwest winter just fine, but it's been less than a year since I placed them. Check back with me in another year or two, and I'll let you know :D I have found a lot of L&L's with broken tabs, so I'm just not sold on that design. I have found a few of these Coleman containers and they are very rugged and use a latch with metal hinge pins that aren't going to break after being opened too many times. Of course, they are more expensive than L&L's.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/Coleman-Small-Watertight-Container/68459/&?&affiliateid=3274&cvsfa=2734&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=3638343539&gclid=CP_N8Iz0tLYCFe8WMgod0n4A5Q

<br />Has anyone tried using (or found a cache that uses) one of those screw-top '<a href='http://www.amazon.com/Glad-LockWare-Small-Tight-Pervents/dp/B004W4OY48' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow'>Lockware</a>' containers that Glad makes? They seem to do a good job at our house for food storage, but I'm not sure how well they would do out in the elements...particularly if cachers don't screw the lid back on tight enough.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I bought a set last year and I like them a lot. I think I got them at Target. Mine have held up through a Midwest winter just fine, but it's been less than a year since I placed them. Check back with me in another year or two, and I'll let you know :D I have found a lot of L&L's with broken tabs, so I'm just not sold on that design. I have found a few of these Coleman containers and they are very rugged and use a latch with metal hinge pins that aren't going to break after being opened too many times. Of course, they are more expensive than L&L's.

http://www.campingwo...CFe8WMgod0n4A5Q

Almost all the "L&Ls" with broken tabs are knock offs. Although I have seen a couple of authentic Lock & Locks with a broken tab but that's after more then one hundred visits over a few years. The dollar store variety tends to last less then a year before a tab breaks off. In general the Lock & Locks we've planted have lasted 5+ years in the wild.

Look for the logo embossed into the plastic, both on the lid and on the base:

7610601374_ed4d03f377_m.jpg