Geocaching using the internet

I have an idea which might be a lot of fun, but I am actually pretty sure that I am not the first one to think of this. I was wondering what people think about or if they know about a site that already does this.

Long intro: here the basic idea, you make a cache but in order to find it, you would have to look up some information on the internet. Some numbers in the final cache location or only given by the information you find on the internet. I like surfing the web and caching, and if think it would be a fun part of the cache.

For example, look up a flight number for some obscure local airline in Russia from one city to another. Or lookup the time a great museum in South Africa is open and use that number in the cache.

Any thoughts, comments, or links to caches that already do this.

It's been done, thousands of times.

quote:
Only the first one is still accessible. The last two have been archived.

They all are accessable for members.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

There are a few all-internet virtual caches out there.

Radio K.A.O.S. is one, I forget the waypoint but it's in my profile, just click the virtual or locationless caches and find the one from Australia

Draegon, Mentor of the OKIC

Team Draegon

Cincinnati, Ohio USA

"To conquer without risk is to succeed without glory"

The site won't knowingly post caches that can be solved completely through internet research. Some have called those "couch potato caches", but it goes against the premise of geocaching being a sport to get techies away from their computers and into the great outdoors with a GPS.

Some caches incorporate a puzzle as a prelude to the cache hunt. I've got one that you can do by traveling all over Europe to find a cache in Georgia, or by using the internet. My Phileas Fogg cache.

There are others that are similar. Radio KAOS was fun, but probably not something that would be accepted today.

erik - geocaching.com admin

All cache's have to be found using the Internet,from this site or others,I agree on the getting outdoors,but also like the idea of looking through the internet,for clues though I have not done it yet!!! but now soon will...Happy Caching

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS *GEOTRYAGAIN*

**1803-2003** "LOUSIANA PURCHASE" http://www.lapurchase.org

"LEWIS AND CLARK EXPADITION" http://arkansasstateparks.com/lapurchase/

http://www.True-Meridiansubscribe@yahoogroups.com