Snow or no snow searchable

jay1318

Living and caching n the Chicago area, we see our fair amount of snow. We all know there are caches that are good hides and some not so good. But when there is no attribute indicating if the cache is "available during winter" with the specific symbol of snow to indicate as such, it can make a search very frustrating.

Please folks, think about your hides. Add attributes for a much better experience for the people hunting it.

We add attributes to our hides, but I'll have to admit I NEVER look at the attributes on the cache page or on my GPS.

However, attributes have been very helpful in creating pocket queries for caching expeditions with our less-than-agile grandparents. So yes, please use attributes! Especially these ones:

onehour-yes.gif Takes less than an hour

hike_short-yes.gif Short hike

These attributes, in combination with a low D/T rating, tell me that this cache will likely be a nice walk in the park.

If you add this one - parkngrab-yes.gif - then its a short walk in a parking lot. :lol:

Just remember, unless the cache is archived or disabled, every cache is available during winter. It just might be harder to find. You just search for that LnL in the snow and when you hear a crack/crunch you know you've found it :anibad:

Edited by T.D.M.22

Just remember, unless the cache is archived or disabled, every cache is available during winter. It just might be harder to find. You just search for that LnL in the snow and when you hear a crack/crunch you know you've found it :anibad:

I did that once this winter, I was more careful after unless the cache listing stated it was an ammo box. I've taken to hiding most of mine in trees to help out with this.

Living and caching n the Chicago area, we see our fair amount of snow. We all know there are caches that are good hides and some not so good. But when there is no attribute indicating if the cache is "available during winter" with the specific symbol of snow to indicate as such, it can make a search very frustrating.

Please folks, think about your hides. Add attributes for a much better experience for the people hunting it.

I hear what you're saying about attributes. My question for you is do you take that attribute as indicating that the area is open during the winter, or an indication that the terrain is such that you should not risk searching in the winter, or that it is placed below the normal snow accumulation level for the area? Since you mentioned snow, I assume it is the latter and some hides are intended to keep the finder guessing on altitude.

I've looked for a few recently with a foot of snow on the ground...some I knew beforehand I wouldn't be able to find and tried anyway. The problem is that the attribute is rarely there, possibly because people place their hides in the warmer months and don't think of it. I looked for (I think) a fake log cache yesterday hidden among a random scattering of cut trunk pieces. They were all frozen to the ground and completely immovable. So frustrating to figure it out but not be able to get to it!

...Think I need to go edit my own caches' attributes...

I hear what you're saying about attributes. My question for you is do you take that attribute as indicating that the area is open during the winter, or an indication that the terrain is such that you should not risk searching in the winter, or that it is placed below the normal snow accumulation level for the area? Since you mentioned snow, I assume it is the latter and some hides are intended to keep the finder guessing on altitude.

In our area (north of Lake Ontario/Erie) the winter-friendly attribute means it's above the snow line, usually hanging in a tree at least 3 feet up. We have the "not-winter-friendly" icon on several of our cache hides, so people don't waste time and gas money.

Last time I posted a cache the reviewer reminded me that I didn't add attributes. An oversight on my part. I appreciated the reminder.

Edited by L0ne R

Every one of my caches has attributes on them. I am a big advocate of using proper attributes. You don't need to tell me that snowmobiles are not allowed on the beach in Santa Monica.

Most of mine have "Poison Plants" and "Dangerous Animals", (rattlesnakes), and "Ticks". I also like to use "No Water", "No Restrooms" and "No Telephone", which I hope people translate to no cell coverage.

I usually assume that winter friendly means either that it is placed above the snow accumulation or is big enough to be found under the snow.

The NOT winter friendly could mean the area is closed in winter (unusual locally). As for Terrain usually the snow makes things easier to get to.

Every one of my caches has attributes on them. I am a big advocate of using proper attributes. You don't need to tell me that snowmobiles are not allowed on the beach in Santa Monica.

Most of mine have "Poison Plants" and "Dangerous Animals", (rattlesnakes), and "Ticks". I also like to use "No Water", "No Restrooms" and "No Telephone", which I hope people translate to no cell coverage.

Some cache owners think it's funny to misuse attributes. It's not funny, it only reduces their usefulness for the rest of us.

"Winter-friendly"? I thought that snowflake icon meant that the cache was "air conditioned". ;)

Seriously though, I think the snowflake symbol should be relabeled as "snow friendly", not "winter friendly" since it isn't uncommon in my area to have a thaw in the wintertime which produces barren ground. In fact, the ground was unusually bare most of the winter of 2011-2012 where I live. Geocachers wouldn't have had any problem finding even caches marked "not winter friendly" that winter.

Found one recently that has a winter friendly icon. About 3 feet up in the nook of a tree. The cache is encased in ice. I've made that mistake myself, assumed because it was above snow height that it was winter-friendly, forgetting that nooks hold water and that water freezes up in the winter. Several of my caches freeze up in the winter, so I added the "not winter friendly" icon.

6b564ff0-d3ac-4260-ba57-4ea62a05e3d5.jpg

Found one recently that has a winter friendly icon. About 3 feet up in the nook of a tree. The cache is encased in ice. I've made that mistake myself, assumed because it was above snow height that it was winter-friendly, forgetting that nooks hold water and that water freezes up in the winter. Several of my caches freeze up in the winter, so I added the "not winter friendly" icon.

That reminds me, I have one like that. I need to go put some wire on it.

We have found many like this. They can be had with a little patience and care. I wouldn't expect this situation to be considered "not winter friendly".

We have found many like this. They can be had with a little patience and care. I wouldn't expect this situation to be considered "not winter friendly".

We have 2 caches that sometimes get encased in ice. I'd rather add a 963ed8c0-c9ca-469a-98e4-fe037d4fea31.png?rnd=0.7476574attribute to a cache of ours then have someone try to smash them out of the ice. I once chipped out one of our caches and cracked the lid.

We have 2 caches that sometimes get encased in ice. I'd rather add a 963ed8c0-c9ca-469a-98e4-fe037d4fea31.png?rnd=0.7476574attribute to a cache of ours then have someone try to smash them out of the ice. I once chipped out one of our caches and cracked the lid.

I do agree that conditions need to be taken into account when selecting a container. :D

In our area (north of Lake Ontario/Erie) the winter-friendly attribute means it's above the snow line, usually hanging in a tree at least 3 feet up. We have the "not-winter-friendly" icon on several of our cache hides, so people don't waste time and gas money.

Last time I posted a cache the reviewer reminded me that I didn't add attributes. An oversight on my part. I appreciated the reminder.

I live in the great north east also off Lake Ontario :blink: and winter has been long and constant. We went looking for a cache a few weeks ago that was not relocated in a less exposed area, in fact it was wet and frozen also. I thought about switching out the box, but decided not to because it wasn't mine to change. Any thoughts on this? If the box is damp and the contents are wet is it appropriate to switch the box when you place it back to rehide or not?

I live in the great north east also off Lake Ontario :blink: and winter has been long and constant. We went looking for a cache a few weeks ago that was not relocated in a less exposed area, in fact it was wet and frozen also. I thought about switching out the box, but decided not to because it wasn't mine to change. Any thoughts on this? If the box is damp and the contents are wet is it appropriate to switch the box when you place it back to rehide or not?

Nice to want to be helpful , but maintenance is the CO's responsibility.

Sure, a fresh log while awaiting the CO to fix it is a good thing, but "wet and frozen" isn't something most can/will fix in the field.

What would you replace the container with? With all new swag too?

Good plastic containers are (now tough to find) lock n locks. Would you swap it out with a gladware container? A peanut butter jar?

- Though some might be an improvement over what we've seen out lately (dollar store gladware-like), leave the replacement of containers to the CO - and leave a NM.

We like the size and durability of 30cal ammo cans. If you want to swap 'em out with 50s, we might be happy with that. :D

With all the different takes folks have on what "available during Winter" means, we'd like to at least see the attribute on the page.

To us, it at least shows whether the CO believes there's a chance we can find it in snow - or not.

- We won't look at all if the attribute isn't there.

I'm sure you will find at least one cacher out there that would love to hop on a snow mobile and do a 25 mile motor to a few caches. Of course, if it were me without such transportation, it would be unavailable. The availability depends on the means of transportation. If you are looking to evaluate "winter friendly" you can also filter by the month the cache was hidden. If it was hidden in winter months, quite likely findable in winter months.

We have snow here as usual in New Brunswick and we are on a streak, so that means getting out on snowshoes every day or walking long distances on snowmobile trails.

We had an Ice Walk event here two weeks ago where cachers walked across ice to two different islands to pick up caches. All the caches are hung at winter heights.

http://coord.info/GC42NY9

In preparation for the event, we snowshoed along a nearby hiking trail a few times, placing a series of 45 caches. We are so used to having all caches around here hanging in trees that we didnt put winter friendly attributes, but the hints indicate the height of the cache. I will go back and add attributes